Aaaagghhh!! No Maris Otter!!

Any English pale 2-row malt would work as a sub or pale ale malt

For base malts they list:

American 2 row
Munich I
German Pilsner
Belgian Pilsner
Maris Otter (when they have it)

They also have Vienna and Victory but they list those as specialties...

if you're looking for a pale 2-row malt, looks like you've got 1 choice.. personally I've been on a kick of German pilsner based beers. can't go wrong with that.

Thanks, guys. Looks like 2-row + Victory will be my best bet for now. Hope to try this recipe with MO later, but I want this batch ready by Xmas, so no time to lose!

Thanks, guys. Looks like 2-row + Victory will be my best bet for now. Hope to try this recipe with MO later, but I want this batch ready by Xmas, so no time to lose!
This won't affect your water profile thirsty:p lol.

Hard work getting most beers ready by then , night sneak a hoppy APA in by then if you're quick .
If you had access to coopers commercial yeast you'd manage
9-12 days fermentation and 10 in bottle

Hard work getting most beers ready by then , night sneak a hoppy APA in by then if you're quick .
If you had access to coopers commercial yeast you'd manage
9-12 days fermentation and 10 in bottle
Well I'm trying to plan one more ale before Christmas it will be a tight squeeze but I think it's possible given my last grain to glass turn around of less then two weeks with my pils/ale recipe ;)

We did a porter that was ready for Thanksgiving (by Nov 24th). It was 40 days from brewday-- I thought it was great. My buddy thought it was still astringent on the end of the sip. Probably the roasted barley. My guess is your London Porter recipe should be okay by Christmas since there's no roasted barley and was close in ABV to what I came out with.

Yeah, it's a bit late for the 25th, now that you mention it... but I won't have time until the weekend, so it'll be done when it's done.

Yea an after work brew day can be hectic i did one last week but the pay off is my brew is nearly fermented out whereas if I'd brewed on weekend it would only just be starting

Thirsty weather here this time of year !
Supposed to be bloody warm up your way this week with those westerly winds straight off the desert

Thirsty weather here this time of year !
Supposed to be bloody warm up your way this week with those westerly winds straight off the desert
Yep and I just told the boss I'd work Saturday :eek::p. Haha yep going to be a stinker of a weekend! I didn't,plan to brew this weekend so no biggie:) hay if your not making it your spending it and I know I won't be drinking for them hours I'm working so not,cutting into supplies;)

Went to LHBS this afternoon and HUZZAH! They have Maris Otter!!

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks, but fortunately I don't have to substitute now - My London Porter will be built to the original blueprint :D

Went to LHBS this afternoon and HUZZAH! They have Maris Otter!!

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks, but fortunately I don't have to substitute now - My London Porter will be built to the original blueprint :D
Some things are just ment to be eh;).

Back