What's on your brewing Bucket List?

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Whether it's trying a particular beer from a brewery 1,000 miles away (or however many kilometers for you aussies ;)) or using a particular ingredient, what's the one thing you've been really meaning to, looking forward to, or just wanting to do?

I really think it's high time I do a lager, but my lack of fine tuned temp control has been keeping me back

Get a chest freezer, an STC-1000, and fermwrap. Your temp will be steady as a surgeons hand.

Gotta build me a fermenting chamber too.
Been looking forward to brewing second generation Nut Brown I've been developing and another using chestnuts. Unfortunately, kegs are filled plus 2ea 5 gals (Strong Scotch Ale and Irish Death Clone) ready to be kegged in the pipeline.

Seems I want to brew faster than I can drink. :oops: But I'm trying!

I wanna make a SMaSH Pale Ale - minimum cost on ingredients.

* 6# 2-row
* 1 oz. E. Kent Goldings
* Ale yeast

For a 3 gallon batch, I calculate a per 12 oz six-pack cost of US $2.11

That includes the cost of RO water from the machine in front of the grocery store

Whether it's trying a particular beer from a brewery 1,000 miles away (or however many kilometers for you aussies ;)) or using a particular ingredient, what's the one thing you've been really meaning to, looking forward to, or just wanting to do?

I really think it's high time I do a lager, but my lack of fine tuned temp control has been keeping me back
I second jeffpn you won't regret your decision to dive into ferm fridge/freezer Macca

Looking forward to this bloody stupid christmas pageant finishing ....right past my place

What do highland bands , greyhound clubs, kids dressed as robots and local community groups have to do with A; the birth of the Christian savior or B; the red suited home invader ?

1000 miles is 1609 km ....one day you will learn my friends

But proper temp control is a step you will never regret , i could do a lager here when temps are over 40 C ( 104 F )

Don't know where you live but I started doing lagers in my garage and basement in winter. My basement stayed at 50 for fermentation and my garage stayed in the 30s for lagering. They came out great I've since set up a freezer but I still lager in a snow bank when the weather cooperates

Thanks for all the responses. I meant this thread to be more like what's on your to do list for brewing, what have you been meaning or wanting to do. not necessarily tips or advice on how to do it
Renamed the thread to hopefully be a little clearer

I have 30 cup and 42 cup electric coffee maker. This winter a plan to use those inside for my mashing. Then just have to open the garage and do a quick boil and roll back in for chilling. I'm at the mercy of the weather here in New England

I'd also like to brew a simple, neutral flavored batch, split it into maybe four parts and ferment each one with a different yeast. Something to train my taste buds with, and learn the differences between the various varieties.

Then do the same with different hops, and maybe again with different specialty malts.

My club has monthly club only competitions. And if one wants a chance to win the brewer of the year trophy you pretty much have to brew whatever the style of the month is, every month, for the whole year. Next year I'm not going to go for the trophy so on my bucket list is to brew whatever the hell I want to brew in 2017.

I have to say Ive brewed about every style of standard beer, I guess my next venture would be exotic styles with different ingredients besides hops that my stomach can handle :rolleyes:

A Belgian dark strong, reminiscent of Westvleteren 12. I've had one. It was a beergasm. So do I get credit for the neologism?

My club has monthly club only competitions. And if one wants a chance to win the brewer of the year trophy you pretty much have to brew whatever the style of the month is, every month, for the whole year. Next year I'm not going to go for the trophy so on my bucket list is to brew whatever the hell I want to brew in 2017.
Yea I have brewed most styles never do comps and don't belong to a club. I have a following now so I brew for parties and what my friends and I prefer. Alot of pales and IPAs and some Bock's and the like. It's all good. " Everybody must be fed, brew what you like" S Winwood

1. Cold Brew Coffee Bean IPA
2. Belgium Lambic (blend a cherry & raspberry)
3. Fruitcake Stout
4. Soured Black Ale

I'll be happy if I can just perfect my current recipes
Throw a few different ones in the mix while I'm at it to keep it interesting
Bavarian Pils this weekend
Another APA brew after that
Start thinking about an Amber or brown for the other side of summer .

Really need to get keggle finished so I can do double batches and no chill one of them , maybe buy a second ferment fridge as well

Back