XPA

I looked at using carrots a while ago for a brew I wanted to have a really good orange color.
Found a really interesting carrots and oak leaves ale recipe too

My October lager with Pale Ale malt, Vienna and 10% Crystal 60 is a rich orange color. It's a 10.53 SRM.
Your grain bill looks great and I think if you change the C10 to something quite a bit darker, you'll get a nice color out of it. And the extra caramel flavor in the malt might be a nice balance for the hops, too.

My October lager with Pale Ale malt, Vienna and 10% Crystal 60 is a rich orange color. It's a 10.53 SRM.
Your grain bill looks great and I think if you change the C10 to something quite a bit darker, you'll get a nice color out of it. And the extra caramel flavor in the malt might be a nice balance for the hops, too.

I'm actually not looking for color from the C10...while doing some reading on pale ale they claimed that C10 was as effective at foam stability as carapils. I have always put 3-5%carapils in everyone of my recipes so I was gonna take a swing at the authors suggestions and try C10 on this one-I've done enough batches to have do a good baseline of past carapils performance for comparison

If you want an orange colorant, try annatto. It's used in cheese making.... Just occurred to me I might use it in beer as well.

keep in mind that the color of the beer changes as you boil longer or when the light changes so the final product might not even be that color but your beer still will work with more malt taste in it, Im brewing one tomorrow with 3 times that malt flavor

Munich malt gives a distinct orange hue to beer, if you want to go that route and use more.

image.jpeg First pull out of the keg and I think I nailed the color I wanted
Very smooth and way to drinkable for +6% ABV next time some simcoe with the dry hop to add some grapefruit/resin

Looks sensational there Welshy was talking to my father the other day and he gave me the meaning for a welsh word
'Iechyd Dda'
I means to your health and you say it before your first beer of the day! So next time your at the pub with some welsh man try that tongue twister with em I suppose it's their word for cheers:p.

But I recon that's one full bodied ale you have there mate with a lot of hop punch! Lechyd Dda to ya ;)

But I recon that's one full bodied ale you have there mate with a lot of hop punch! Lechyd Dda to ya ;)
Not as full as you would think by looking at her, mashed 149, dryed out nicely from 1.060 finished @ 1.009 ish. Only crystal malt is 12 oz C 10 for foam stability color coming mostly for victory and Munich malt ..billed out as 60 IBU's but you would never know it. Good charge of summit at 75min & FWH then the mosaic at 10 and after knockout 180 degrees for 10 mins very smooth very dangerous ; a liter can disappear quickly :D

Not as full as you would think by looking at her, mashed 149, dryed out nicely from 1.060 finished @ 1.009 ish. Only crystal malt is 12 oz C 10 for foam stability color coming mostly for victory and Munich malt ..billed out as 60 IBU's but you would never know it. Good charge of summit at 75min & FWH then the mosaic at 10 and after knockout 180 degrees for 10 mins very smooth very dangerous ; a liter can disappear quickly :D
Were you happy with the head retention from the C10 how did this compare to carapils?

@Trialben i have been a consistent 2-5% carapils user but after these last 2 APA batches using proportional amounts of C10 I feel head retention has improved over previous batches and one big change I have also noticed is that the "bubbles" are smaller and tighter earlier than in batches using caraP.. Could be totally unrelated just my amateur observation

Back