How do I know when....

Jimsal

Trial Member
Reaction score
I read an article about a cream ale that said you can use an ale and lager yeast simultaneously so I figured I'd try it. So question is I checked the gravity and it is @1010. Right where I wanted it. But it smells like sulphur. I read it's Bc of the lager yeast. How long does that take to clear up?

Give is a diacetyl rest 19-20c for a day or two and that should,clear it in my brief experience delving into lager yeasts:)

What temperature did you initially ferment at?

For a cream ale, that temperature might have stressed your yeast. Good news is the sulfur stink should go away in a few weeks.

Lager yeast always makes sulfur smeall and sulfur always clears. I did a room-temp lager with S-23 dry yeast that still had some stink when I put it in the keg. Flavor was fine, but the aroma definitely carried sulfur. After cooling to 35 or so, carbing and purging the head space a couple of times it was perfect.

Nope. Too cool. I didn't check your yeast strain - some are natural sulfur producers and some only produce it when they encounter an environment they don't like (too cool, not enough oxygen, etc.).

lager yeast need twice the oxygen and twice the yeast cells than ale yeast

Lager yeast always makes sulfur smeall and sulfur always clears. I did a room-temp lager with S-23 dry yeast that still had some stink when I put it in the keg. Flavor was fine, but the aroma definitely carried sulfur. After cooling to 35 or so, carbing and purging the head space a couple of times it was perfect.
I must have some lager yeast in my belly because I'm always belching sulphur lol:eek:

Thanks guys. Might not be ready to mess with lager yeast yet

I must have some lager yeast in my belly because I'm always belching sulphur lol:eek:
I can tell you that taste-testing gravity samples from a still-active lager will give you the worst flatulence you can imagine. It's like the stench of Hell itself!! :eek: :D

Ive learned not to look, touch, test or taste beer until its in the keg, and only just to see if its worthy to carbonate, most times it is but there have been a few

Very true ozark. I tasted it when I bottled. Tasted oretty good.

Reactions: J A

Back