IBU calculation

homoeccentricus

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, new on this forum. I'm considering switching from Beersmith to BF, but I have a problem with IBU calculations. For a given recipe, BS gives me 16 IBUs, but BF gives me 25 IBUs. Both programs use Tinseth. When I calculate the IBUs on http://www.brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator/ I do get the same IBUs as BS. Any ideas why that may be?

Not clear... What's the difference between 'BF' which gives you 25 and 'brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator' which gives you 'the same IBUs as BS'. BF is not the same as 'brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator'?

When I built the recipe in Brewer's Friend I got 25 IBU, but when I simply used the calculator I got a different result: 16 IBU. So the recipe builder calculates things differently. So either there's a setting I don't know of, or there's a bug in the recipe builder. I'm pretty sure the 16 IBUs is correct, since that is what I get in Beersmith and another program.

OK, Gotcha. The only thing I've noticed is the difference that boiling time makes to IBU contribution. If there's a difference in the way that's entered in the two different locations that could explain it. I use the BF Windows application. If you post your recipe I could try it there and see what the result it.

OK, Gotcha. The only thing I've noticed is the difference that boiling time makes to IBU contribution. If there's a difference in the way that's entered in the two different locations that could explain it. I use the BF Windows application. If you post your recipe I could try it there and see what the result it.

Here is the recipe. AFAIK it's a 75 minute boil in all the programs I've tried...

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/410106/roche-four-lodo

Total boil is 75 minutes, but the boil times of each hop addition is the key to the IBU calculation. That and the specifics of the grain bill. Here's what I got:
upload_2016-11-3_7-51-39.png

26.1 is prettly close to the 25.8 listed in the recipe builder. I'd go with that.

In the IBU Calculator:

upload_2016-11-3_7-55-44.png

This varies slightly depending on what form of hops you select, but still way above 16. I don't see a big discrepancy here...

Noticed 2 of the hop additions are whole leaf in the calculator but pellet in the app. that might throw it off a little bit too

I have just taken a recipe from BS, and manually entered it into BF, they both match up pretty close :

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/415809/tuatara-apa-clone = 55 IBU
same recipe in BS = 51.7 IBU

Using the BF calculator and came out at 51.83 - almost exactly the same as BS....... There must be a difference in the recipe builder calculation and the site calculator.

Last edited:
BTW, the est. boil size should be 16 liter, not 18 liter.

The problem may have to do with the selection of the batch size. I had 10 liters into fermentor. But I currently have a four liter kettle loss in addition to a 2 liter boil-off. I think when one chooses batch size into fermentor, the kettle loss is not taken into account, and the program treats it as if it is boil-off. When I choose 14 liters batch size in the kettle, the IBUs are more or less what I would expect. So:
boil size: 16 liter, 2 liter boil-off, 4 liter kettle loss
batch size into fermentor: 10 liter -> 25 IBU
batch size into fermentor: 14 liter -> 17.8 IBU
batch size into fermentor: 14 liter -> 17.8 IBU

For comparison, Beersmith: 16 IBUs.

Back