Bock recipe

Cgdavis

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I have 2 pounds of German wheat malt, and 1 pound of Goldswaen Brown Malt and molasses. Now my question is. For a 2 gallon recipe, does the brown malt add any sugar to the mash? I can't find it on the recipe maker on here and was curious if I needed to get more grain.

I can't give you anything concrete, but molasses has a pretty strong flavor.
Mosher has a recipe for a stout with 1.5 lbs of dark molasses in a 5 gallon batch. never brewed that recipe though

And for brown malt, hes got 1.0066 per lb in a 5gallon batch. this is only slightly less than the base malts he lists too

its says 75 to 90 in color, its close, I would pick it or add a custom then play with your sugar

I already bought it, I was just curious if I should get another pound of malt to make sure the gravity is high enough after the mash.

I personally wouldn't just use wheat malt as the only base, it can seem thin lite or low in efficiency without another base barley

Okay ill pick another one up. I thought the brown malt would fill out the flavor. Would you suggest victory malt? The LHBS had a pound of that.

just add an equal amount of some 2 row or pale malt with the wheat and you'll be fine

Okay. Using 2 pounds of wheat, 2 pounds of pale/2 row and 1 of the brown malt, what gallon amount would that bring me to? I originally was shooting for 2 but im always okay with brewing more! Haha

What kind of bock are you making that calls for molasses and no Munich malt. Maybe I missed something

What kind of bock are you making that calls for molasses and no Munich malt. Maybe I missed something
It's not that it didn't call for it, my LHBS had none available so I'm improvising. Any suggestions? My goals is to come out with something like the Sam Adams toasted caramel bock which I loved. It had molasses which gave ita great flavor. However I would love to use Munich because I've never been able to use it. Unfortunately its unavailable. I could probably get ahold of some at a LHBS a little further away. I'll have to call tomorrow.

It's not that it didn't call for it, my LHBS had none available so I'm improvising. Any suggestions? My goals is to come out with something like the Sam Adams toasted caramel bock which I loved. It had molasses which gave ita great flavor. However I would love to use Munich because I've never been able to use it. Unfortunately its unavailable. I could probably get ahold of some at a LHBS a little further away. I'll have to call tomorrow.
Your shop doesnt carry Munich? Wow you need to find a new store. I use Munich in all my German style brews it's an awesome malt

Back