Bock recipe

They are new and getting their supply up. I'll drive a little further and get some dark Munich. It should fit the style a little better.

Your shop doesnt carry Munich? Wow you need to find a new store. I use Munich in all my German style brews it's an awesome malt
Also my opinion on a brand new store that opened up 10 minutes from me is if I buy as much there as possible, ill get to choose what I want eventually! I enjoy supporting local business.

They are new and getting their supply up. I'll drive a little further and get some dark Munich. It should fit the style a little better.
I think you'll like it. I was able to view the recipe. I use only 10% wheat in mine you look to be in wheat beer territory with 36%. But it's your beer. What yeast are you using?

I think you'll like it. I was able to view the recipe. I use only 10% wheat in mine you look to be in wheat beer territory with 36%. But it's your beer. What yeast are you using?
I'll double check the yeast. I haven't used it before and forgot the name. I can always save some wheat and use more Munich. To fit that style i may end up doing that. Trial and error is better off found before brew day.

Went with 3 Munich to 1 wheat on the recipe and will probably stay there. I like how its looking. Thanks for the help. Any other suggestions I'm up for it. How much molasses would you suggest?

Went with 3 Munich to 1 wheat on the recipe and will probably stay there. I like how its looking. Thanks for the help. Any other suggestions I'm up for it. How much molasses would you suggest?
I use molasses in my porter a whole jar about 12oz in 5 gallons but I wouldn't put that much in a bock. A bock should taste malty so in a 2.5 gallon batch if your intent on using it maybe 3ounces I guess

I jus went to read a description of that Sam toasted bock. It really sounds like a porter recipe fermented with a lager yeast. lf your using an ale yeast she's definitely a porter or at least a brown. I think they are being a little liberal with calling it a bock.Nothing wrong with it though sounds interesting, let us know how it turns out.

I jus went to read a description of that Sam toasted bock. It really sounds like a porter recipe fermented with a lager yeast. lf your using an ale yeast she's definitely a porter or at least a brown. I think they are being a little liberal with calling it a bock.Nothing wrong with it though sounds interesting, let us know how it turns out.
Hmmmm... I'll take your suggestion on the molasses then. And the Munich. I'm no expert. I'll tell you how it turns out.

Last edited:
Also, how much molasses per gallon is just enough?

The Brown Malt adds sugar, Typically you'll get 28 ppg (reference here: http://howtobrew.com/book/section-2/what-is-malted-grain/table-of-typical-malt-yields). How much molasses is a matter of taste but less is better. I typically add three ounces to five and a half gallons of my Kentucky Common - it contributes but remains below the taste threshold. Four ounces in five gallons should be barely noticeable, more than that should begin to provide an obvious molasses flavor.

if your ever interested , this is a small recipe modeled after a well know Amber Bock, its not complicated and very good

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Amber Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 2.5 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.034
Efficiency: 75% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 5.01%
IBU (tinseth): 31.2
SRM (morey): 13.15

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (91.4%)
4 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.7%)
2 oz - American - Roasted Barley (2.9%)

HOPS:
6 g - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 27.76
6 g - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.75, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 3.44

YEAST:
Mangrove Jack - Californian Lager M54

The Brown Malt adds sugar, Typically you'll get 28 ppg (reference here: http://howtobrew.com/book/section-2/what-is-malted-grain/table-of-typical-malt-yields). How much molasses is a matter of taste but less is better. I typically add three ounces to five and a half gallons of my Kentucky Common - it contributes but remains below the taste threshold. Four ounces in five gallons should be barely noticeable, more than that should begin to provide an obvious molasses flavor.
Thank you. That's very helpful. Also I changed the style of the beer to a dunkelweizen because it fits almost perfectly to the stats the recipe builder gives. And I was able to bump up the size to 3 gallons rather then 2.5. That's assuming 65% efficiency.

Last edited:
if your ever interested , this is a small recipe modeled after a well know Amber Bock, its not complicated and very good

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Amber Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 2.5 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.034
Efficiency: 75% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 5.01%
IBU (tinseth): 31.2
SRM (morey): 13.15

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (91.4%)
4 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.7%)
2 oz - American - Roasted Barley (2.9%)

HOPS:
6 g - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 27.76
6 g - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.75, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 3.44

YEAST:
Mangrove Jack - Californian Lager M54
I will definitely give that a try! Thank you.

Coming along pretty great so far. My efficiency would be better if the sparge calculator was correct but I have a ton of left over water in the mash after I hit the boil volume, however I am at exactly 65%! Still boiling, but its looking good!

Sorry to Surry thread fellas but Im sure in the right place when it comes to brown ale territory not that I'm a vergin brown ale man I've brewed extract brown ale let's see here we go now don't use this as a recipe Ii was a fingling homebrew fish back then 21/7/14 dark ale #2
300g crystal malt
1/2 can dark ale (I fermented in 15 Lt batches) oh coopers dark btw.
3/4 can condensed milk (yep)!
250g molasses (do you know this stuff IN America? it's like treacle but thicker!) its sauger before refinery!
110g brown sugar
40g coffee ( macona mild roast) Aussie mid roast stuff Mark would know.
Filled fermentor to 14lt
Racked to 12 lt 24/7/14
Added 1/2 cup dextrose hops 25g Galaxy 26/7/14 (dry hop I'm thinking.)
Bottled 27/7/2014 1.012

No tasting notes but it was like drinking a mild alcoholic coffee.
Yep not fool proof biut that's how I started out!

Sorry to Surry thread fellas but Im sure in the right place when it comes to brown ale territory not that I'm a vergin brown ale man I've brewed extract brown ale let's see here we go now don't use this as a recipe Ii was a fingling homebrew fish back then 21/7/14 dark ale #2
300g crystal malt
1/2 can dark ale (I fermented in 15 Lt batches) oh coopers dark btw.
3/4 can condensed milk (yep)!
250g molasses (do you know this stuff IN America? it's like treacle but thicker!) its sauger before refinery!
110g brown sugar
40g coffee ( macona mild roast) Aussie mid roast stuff Mark would know.
Filled fermentor to 14lt
Racked to 12 lt 24/7/14
Added 1/2 cup dextrose hops 25g Galaxy 26/7/14 (dry hop I'm thinking.)
Bottled 27/7/2014 1.012

No tasting notes but it was like drinking a mild alcoholic coffee.
Yep not fool proof biut that's how I started out!
Does not sound like a recipe I would attempt!

Back