Off flavor of the week

Ozarks Mountain Brewery

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
so Ive a had a couple of not bad but odd tasting batches, made alot of changes to my equipment and cleaning everything, changed elements, switched out hoses with new silicone, so today I opened my keezer and an awful smell filled the room and I was pretty sure it was beer stink from the bottom of the keezer.

then I realized I had a huge trash bag of different hops in that keezer and some baggies had popped open. after closer inspection the smell was coming from the hop bags,

now im getting that ahha feeling in my head thats the same off taste in my beer,,,,,so losing about 4 pounds of hops today, all going in the trash and repackaging never opened sealed hops and now putting them in my deep freezer,

the lesson and Off flavor of the week is never store hops in your keezer :eek:

I thought hops were a preservative!:p

They also rot, go moldy, get old and "cheesy" smelling.... Fresh hop storage: Vacuum pack and freeze, if possible.
they can preserve bad flavors too

And take on some really bad ones if improperly stored.

I'm just going to go ahead and say it, I can't stand Brett. I've had 2 commercial beers in the last week I've had to dump half of because of the nasty taste.

To each their own and I do like clean sours, but it's not pleasant at all for me

To bad to see the hops go but at least ya figured out the prob.
We will soon be investing in a vacuum sealer for lots of reasons. Hops are just one of them.

I'm investigating the same thing, looking for one I can use for small hop storage like 2 ounces, I break apart 1 pound packages into 2 ounce zipper bags right now, but just started doing that.

before I broke open the sealed bag the just tossed what was left into a freezer bag

That sucks Ozark yep I've been looking into getting one of these vacuum seal things. I remember brulosopher did an exbeerment with old hops vs new fresh hops and found harsh bitterness to old hops. Also another thing I found from that exbeerment was next to vacuum sealing and flushing with co2 then freeze as its supposed to preserve em better.

Another thing I thought straight away was check ball valves on cold side. I took my ball valve apart awhile ago and it had a little bit of crud built up in it. This was after brulosophers mate couldn't pick off flavours in his beers all due to cruddy ball valve I also run boiling wort through it before flame out but clean this out every few brews now.

I'm just going to go ahead and say it, I can't stand Brett. I've had 2 commercial beers in the last week I've had to dump half of because of the nasty taste.

To each their own and I do like clean sours, but it's not pleasant at all for me
Second. Somehow flavors of goat sweat and horse blanket just aren't my thing.

That sucks Ozark yep I've been looking into getting one of these vacuum seal things. I remember brulosopher did an exbeerment with old hops vs new fresh hops and found harsh bitterness to old hops. Also another thing I found from that exbeerment was next to vacuum sealing and flushing with co2 then freeze as its supposed to preserve em better.

Another thing I thought straight away was check ball valves on cold side. I took my ball valve apart awhile ago and it had a little bit of crud built up in it. This was after brulosophers mate couldn't pick off flavours in his beers all due to cruddy ball valve I also run boiling wort through it before flame out but clean this out every few brews now.

I packed some fresh Crystal I picked up in Palisade, CO using the vacuum sealer about three years ago. They're still usable. As far as the cruddy ball valve, I'll quote my friend Horst Caspari: All it takes is one cell and time.

not just ball valves but any threaded pipe connection with threads on the inside will harbor sugar and eventually mildew

ordered plus 56 bags to start, I can get 2 , 2 ounce or 3 , 1 ounce hops per bag I think

Reactions: GPA

Back