Torrified Wheat

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here torrified their own wheat before? I need 4 ounces for a recipe tomorrow. I did some research, and went with the hot air popper. Nothing really expanded. It was in their long enough to give a burnt odor. Kids said I must've burned some popcorn when they walked in the door. Probably overdid it, but I didn't see anything happening. I'm betting it was too dry to pop. I do have some flaked wheat as a backup. Opinions?

Last edited:
Now that it's cooled down, it definitely tastes burnt. Flaked wheat it is!

I know that with corn you can't just pop any variety you get; there are certain types made specifically to seal in the moisture so they'll pop when you heat them past boiling temperature. Other varieties will just burn. This may well be true of wheat, so if you didn't specifically get a 'poppable' variety you may never have had a chance.

Let us know how the flaked wheat turns out!

Yep me and a mate once raided a corn paddock here at night filled a shopping bag up took em home and eagerly heated up a pot full of water to boil the cobs. After cooking em I took a hungry bite into my corn Cobb and near broke my front teeth out it was hard as a rock even though we'd boiled em up. We thought they musta been the popping verity or for cattle feed. It sure taught as a good lesson for raiding that farmers crop ha ha:D!​

I remember every time we took a trip me and my sisters would ask my mother, who grew up on a farm, whether it was people corn or cow corn that we were driving by on the highway. She'd always look at it and identify it. Pretty impressive, considering we were driving pretty fast (that's a metric term.) Years later, she confessed she was always pulling our leg!

I bet you know now? lol feed corn is dried on the stock before picking

Yep me and a mate once raided a corn paddock here at night filled a shopping bag up took em home and eagerly heated up a pot full of water to boil the cobs. After cooking em I took a hungry bite into my corn Cobb and near broke my front teeth out it was hard as a rock even though we'd boiled em up. We thought they musta been the popping verity or for cattle feed. It sure taught as a good lesson for raiding that farmers crop ha ha:D!​
You have to raid the right crops.... People corn is just immature feed corn. And yes, popcorn is torrefied corn.

Back