Thermometer

Thormonsta

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need some advice on thermometers. I have been using probe type thermos, (long wire and base unit) I find them anywhere from $10-$40, but they never seems to last. Any type of moisture, I think, gets the best of them and soon they are worthless. (Let's face it, there is a lot of water around when I brew!) Single shaft probes are almost always to short. Candy type thermos have such small numbers, these 53 years old eyes can barley see them. I'm looking for any suggestions, what others are using, that I can pick up that will last, and I can read it.

Thanks

I got tired of the tube thermometer that came with my homebrew kit, so I bought an instant read electronic probe type like you mentioned. 3 weeks later, like you mentioned, I'm back to my original thermometer.

I made my own portable, its a very good stainless rdt 8 inch probe hooked to a rdt display and runs from a ac adapter, I had to buy a plastic box and mount it, it works great in a pinch but you do have to plug it in, I have a dc connector on my control panel, not pretty but works. the issue with all of the Chinese products we buy is the hot wort melts the electronics inside the cheap stainless

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-DC-...ors-F-12VDC-/251605566066?hash=item3a94dc4272

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_15&products_id=209

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0GJPJ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
I found a waterproof probe thermometer at a local restaurant supply company. I'll post the model info sometime this evening.

Thermopen 3 second reads expensive I don't own one but yea supposed to be the goods. I use a digital probe type thermometer it takes its time to equalise not too accurate

for my mash temps i use a meat thermometer (weldless and 150 mm probe), only reads between 55 and 88 C
i have tested against a lab grade one i borrowed and it's very close at least in this range and
rather than holding it i have a small plastic cup/tub with a hole in the base for the probe ....home made floating mash thermometer ! only cost me $8 AUD

I made my own portable, its a very good stainless rdt 8 inch probe hooked to a rdt display and runs from a ac adapter, I had to buy a plastic box and mount it, it works great in a pinch but you do have to plug it in, I have a dc connector on my control panel, not pretty but works. the issue with all of the Chinese products we buy is the hot wort melts the electronics inside the cheap stainless

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-DC-...ors-F-12VDC-/251605566066?hash=item3a94dc4272

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_15&products_id=209

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0GJPJ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks! If all else fails I'll give this a shot. It rains a lot here in the North Puget Sound and my stuff is always wet while brewing. Any moisture seems to be the killer.
M

for my mash temps i use a meat thermometer (weldless and 150 mm probe), only reads between 55 and 88 C
i have tested against a lab grade one i borrowed and it's very close at least in this range and
rather than holding it i have a small plastic cup/tub with a hole in the base for the probe ....home made floating mash thermometer ! only cost me $8 AUD

I have a dial thermometer with the probe through the side of my mash tun. It's accurate enough for homebrew. Sometimes I'll check it with the electronic version.

Another option not mentioned is a turkey cooker thermometer. They have a dial which is easy to read that clips on the side of the kettle and the solid probe (about 12 inches or so) is virtually indestructible. Mine is listed as dishwasher safe so must be pretty waterproof.

I discovered that one of my turkey thermometers has a dial that can turn against the stem. That enables you to set the thermometer to show whatever temperature you want. Makes for a quick boil time!!

Another option not mentioned is a turkey cooker thermometer. They have a dial which is easy to read that clips on the side of the kettle and the solid probe (about 12 inches or so) is virtually indestructible. Mine is listed as dishwasher safe so must be pretty waterproof.

Might not be very accurate at the range we need, but if you can get it calibrated at 152° F, it'll be close enough at all mash temperatures.

I bought and use this instant read for both smoking meats and brewing beer. works very well and is precise to 1/10 of a degree. Accuracy is within 1* F and price is quite good. Downside is that you can't leave in the meat or wort while cooking. for that I use a Maverick ET732.

I bought and use this instant read for both smoking meats and brewing beer. works very well and is precise to 1/10 of a degree. Accuracy is within 1* F and price is quite good. Downside is that you can't leave in the meat or wort while cooking. for that I use a Maverick ET732.
Ok, I'll try that one. Why not? It'll be here Wednesday.

The one I found is a Taylor, model 9848EFDA

Thanks!

I have been using a long stem instant read (bi-metal) from Morebeer. The accuracy has been very good and it was calibrated straight out of the box. I checked with the ice water and boiling water. It has a 12" stem and a 2" dial which is easy to read with my cheap magnifiers. Not cheap, at $27 though.

I tried a few different ones always ended back up with my long stem dial. A few failed digital s when mashing soI always double checked with my dial. Finally just started using old fashioned dials.

I tried a few different ones always ended back up with my long stem dial. A few failed digital s when mashing soI always double checked with my dial. Finally just started using old fashioned dials.
Thanks. the other day I picked up one from a guy getting rid of all his brewing stuff! New wife and kids, some excuse like that, so I'll give it a go nextt weekend.

I'm happy enough with the one MarylandBrewer mentioned above. It's a .5°F off, and I haven't checked to see if it can be calibrated. Close enough for me.

Back