Brew Day Times

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The topic came up elsewhere, so let's make a thread of it. And no approximates, either! I think this thread could be useful to brewers, especially new brewers. What is your brew day time? Please include your method, batch size, and major timers. Start your stopwatch on the first thing you do, and stop it when the last thing is put away. For me, that's getting the turkey fryer out of the shed, and then putting it away. Let's omit drawing water, if that's a huge factor. For me, it can be! Do include sanitizing and cleaning times, if necessary. (I don't sanitize until I'm mashing.)

BIAB. 5 gallons. 60 minute mash. 60 minute boil. 3:53.

Yesterday I clocked on at 7:30am I mashed for 2 hours boiled for 75 and God only knows how long the chilling took but everything was packed away at 1:30pm 6 hours start to finish all things brewing in between.

BIAB. 2.25 gallons. 90 minute mash. 60 min boil.

First thing i checked in on the brew steps today was at 1:00PM, and the last thing at 5:15PM, slid the fermenter into the fridge about 5 min after, then cleanup for a few minutes... 4.5 hours. Easy peasy.

all grain 5.5 gallon helles 60 min mash w/ deccoction 60 min boil
start time 12:30 end time 19:35 dishes done-7 hours (8 if count waiting for gycol chiller to hit 48 degree pitch temp)

AG 5.5 gallon APA 60 min mash 60min boil
stat 12:30 end 18:38 6 hours

AG 5.5 Maerzen 60 min mash w/deccoction 60 min boil
Start 7:00 end 14:34 7.5 hours

so i looks like my lager brew days take me on average 7ish hours and my ales fall into that 6 hour brew day

All grain, single infusion (1hr), single sparge (1/2hr), mash tun and brew kettle both electric canners, no chiller = ~4 hrs + cleanup
i.e. I start filling my mash tun at 4pm (with warm water from the tap), and warm the water to strike temp. ~4:30 I mash in, rest for 1 hr, sparge at 5:30. First runnings heat to boil during sparge rest, 2nd runnings are added and heated to boil, 1st hop addition @ boil = ~6:30pm. Boil finished at 7:30pm -> drain -> cleanup = ~8:30pm.
Chill occurs overnight and yeast is added the following day.

All grain, single infusion (1hr), single sparge (1/2hr), mash tun and brew kettle both electric canners, no chiller = ~4 hrs + cleanup
i.e. I start filling my mash tun at 4pm (with warm water from the tap), and warm the water to strike temp. ~4:30 I mash in, rest for 1 hr, sparge at 5:30. First runnings heat to boil during sparge rest, 2nd runnings are added and heated to boil, 1st hop addition @ boil = ~6:30pm. Boil finished at 7:30pm -> drain -> cleanup = ~8:30pm.
Chill occurs overnight and yeast is added the following day.
I also don't wait for pitch temp. I do 10 gallon batches. Start about 7:30 I do dunk sparge biab chill to 80 or so and set the fermenters in cold water and pitch in the evening. I'm done about 11 so 4 to 4 1/2. Oh I crush my grains a day or so before hand. I don't rush, I have a simple system. If I was worried about time and wanted to brew I would probably do 3 gallon extract

I'm not worried about brew day times. If I don't have 4 hours, I don't brew. I just can't imagine shaving much time off of my method.

I'm not worried about brew day times. If I don't have 4 hours, I don't brew. I just can't imagine shaving much time off of my method.

You crack me up. Didn't you start this post???

I did. And I'm not worried about how long I take to brew. I'm not asking for advice on how to shave time. I was wondering how long other guy's brew days are, if their methods are anywhere near similar to mine. My brew days do get longer when people stop by. Let's just say I'm easily distracted by my keezer!

ill time my next brew day, Im pretty sure its going to be 6 hours just because of cleaning before and after but Ill time it just the same

I did. And I'm not worried about how long I take to brew. But I was wondering how long other guy's brew days are, if their methods are anywhere near similar to mine. My brew days do get longer when people stop by. Let's just say I'm easily distracted by my keezer!

We tried having friends over to understand how we brewed but it was very difficult to stay on track of the brewing and conduct a tasting at the same time. What was that? Sorry gotta go my keezer is calling. Now that I have the system settled in for a bit will give you a brew time soon. At 20gal a pop We don't brew near as often.

Totally with you on my "friendly" distractions. I usually miss a hop addition.

But notes never lie

Maybe your card not mine;) I'm a terrible golfer.

4 hours is about an honest answer for me , never really timed it as i'm either doing other stuff ( sneaking to pub for cheeky pint and a chat ) or cleaning the house , drinking
i only use an ice bath for chilling boil kettle , then into fridge so if i added time to pitching yeast it might be 10 hours or more

Yesterday started milling grains round 11am ish standard 60 min mash 75min boil chilled and into fermentor yeast pitched 5pm ish clean up 10 mins so a little over 6 hours including making a starter and Kegging beer to free up fermentor.

2:45 into my brew day and I'm hitting the pause button. Wort is chilled, and still in the boilpot. 75° and sunny! Now I'm going to put the top down and take the Stringray for a cruise!

Back