Safale T-58 vs. S-33

Southern Cross

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello Brewingfriends,

I am about to brew a Belgian Tripel, and I am looking into fermenting with Safale T-58 or. S-33. Which one would you recommend ? Both supposedly have poor attenuation, anything that can be done about that ?

Greetings from Chile,

Southern Cross

I don't use either but alot of people go back and fourth and it seems I see T-58 used more for Belgian beers

Welcome, SC. Nice avatar!

I don't have any direct experience with the yeasts you mention, but as far as increasing attenuation, I'd think the best you can do is to create an active and vigorous starter. More yeasties jumping around is what you need, yes? A little nutrient wouldn't hurt, either.

Welcome, SC. Nice avatar!

I don't have any direct experience with the yeasts you mention, but as far as increasing attenuation, I'd think the best you can do is to create an active and vigorous starter. More yeasties jumping around is what you need, yes? A little nutrient wouldn't hurt, either.
Yep something strikingly similar to that avatar mmm o yep it's on me flag ha ha:D

I have used both yeasts for triples and they will both work fine. T-58 is a little more spicy than the S-33. Rehydrate 2 packs for a 5gal batch over 1.075 up to 1.085. The T-58 clears out better for me and it's cheaper. Start fermentation at about 65F and after a few days when it just begins to slow ramp up to 70F. You should get 75% to 80% attenuation.

Back