Rocheforte 8

Jimsal

Trial Member
Reaction score
Rochforte 10 is my all time favorite beer. That seems to hard to brew for me. So I'm trying the next best thing. 8. Anyone ever brewed this before. Any advice. I'm new to brewing got about 5 batches under my belt. But I'm diving in head first. Oh yeah. All grain brew. Thanks for any input.

Gday Jimsal good to have you on the forum. Watcha brewed so far? As for your tasty looking monk beer I'm sure there are some nifty Brewers on here that's probably tackled that brew or something similar with great success.

My 2 bobs worth- have ya found a decent recipe to brew off that's a darn good start:D.
I haven't brewed much in the way of Belgium brews so I'm not ya man.

I've brewed a few brown ales and cream ale. My first attempt at a pale ale......well it's still fermenting. Not sure how that's gonna turn out. I was supposed to "hop burst". But I had time constraints so I added more hops to the boil. Bottom line my ibu calculator says its 106. So we shall see. Lol.

I've brewed a few brown ales and cream ale. My first attempt at a pale ale......well it's still fermenting. Not sure how that's gonna turn out. I was supposed to "hop burst". But I had time constraints so I added more hops to the boil. Bottom line my ibu calculator says its 106. So we shall see. Lol.
106 ibu that's some Bittering units aye ? I'm not 100% up to date on term "hop burst" but I usually throw hops in at 0min or dry hop into secondary if also seen hop heads chilling to 60c and throwing hops in then half way through chilling. Hops and when to add them now that's a complex subject aye?:)

106 ibu that's some Bittering units aye ? I'm not 100% up to date on term "hop burst" but I usually throw hops in at 0min or dry hop into secondary if also seen hop heads chilling to 60c and throwing hops in then half way through chilling. Hops and when to add them now that's a complex subject aye?:)

In the book home brew by mike karnowski. He gives a recipe for a pale ale with hop bursting. Basically adding hops after flameout and let them steep I. The hot wort for 45 mins. If anyone is interred I'll copy the recipe on here.

I took these from "Brew Like a Monk", which I highly recommend if you're into Belgian beer. I thought you might find them helpful and/or interesting. Note the step-mash temps.
Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG Capture3.JPG

Thanks Gerry. I will read them. I'm a bit worried bc I can't step mash with my 5 gallon cooler as my mash tun.

So I made this and not loving this beer. Smells fruity but vinous. Definitely a sour taste to the beer. Any thoughts why this might be.

So I made this and not loving this beer. Smells fruity but vinous. Definitely a sour taste to the beer. Any thoughts why this might be.
Might be the much dreaded infection :oops: but don't take my word for it. It may be a Belgium yeast thing?

Ive never brewed it, if you listen to the podcast all the way through they discus what it should taste like

Might be the much dreaded infection :oops: but don't take my word for it. It may be a Belgium yeast thing?
I don't know what infection tastes like but it not funky. Just sour.

Few happy days Jimsal everything gets better with age well with certain things anyway.

Back