Amarillo smash bitter as hell lol

BrewerRick

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, been testing out new hops just to get familiar with the flavous so ive been doing single smashes with two row all this week did a centennial, turned out great, chinook and amarillo, when tasted are damn bitter kinda metalic taste, now, my question is, give it time to mellow or maybe my calculation tunred out crappy lol.

fermented at 19c for 5 days now, did a G reading and from 1.059 its at 1.020 but holly crap its bitter and the taste is sorta like infection metalic flavour or can be the AA that are whoah high... usually they mellow during conditioning but should i wait or trow it out. *regarding wasting it, this is fine as the brewery has it in its expenses)

what are your experiances with these hops and malts?

damn was worred about the metalic taste was hoping it wasent another infected batch, damn heat and humidity here is insane and at times frustrating. well onto making a new batch tomorrow then. cheers mate

So what's your verdict on it rick. Poorly stored malts? You would taste it in your other brews. Can it be a byproduct of hops

Fermentation container, i used two new ones that i got at a local store and the girl probably dident clean it properly but tomorrow she will have two full containers to wash lol.

it may be that it wasent washed properly or maybe contamination, flys are around and unavoidable in mexico so they can land on something after being outside on the old grains and ends up contaminating some things. this is why we seal the place shut during brew days. so much you can do really but it sucks pretty bad when you have a bad 30 HL tank you have to dump out.

Fermentation container, i used two new ones that i got at a local store and the girl probably dident clean it properly but tomorrow she will have two full containers to wash lol.

it may be that it wasent washed properly or maybe contamination, flys are around and unavoidable in mexico so they can land on something after being outside on the old grains and ends up contaminating some things. this is why we seal the place shut during brew days. so much you can do really but it sucks pretty bad when you have a bad 30 HL tank you have to dump out.
Wow that sucks yep things a warming up in Aus too fermentation flys everywhere ATM. My beer taps are getting constant attention from them I've got a cap on one but I'll be finding another for the other one!

I'm a bit freaked out now because when I was chilling my brew on the weekend I sealed it up with alfoil but when I came back to check,it and,looked inside kettle a little fermentation fly flew out:eek:no! Time will tell.

Thats for sure and hurts to throw it away, when you spend around 10 hours brewing then something happens, never a good day at work thats for sure but as you said we cant in anyway release a beer that tastes weird or off.

Thats for sure and hurts to throw it away, when you spend around 10 hours brewing then something happens, never a good day at work thats for sure but as you said we cant in anyway release a beer that tastes weird or off.
Whereas someone like me would,probably battle through it :confused: depends on how bad were talkin :p haha. Ive for my brew house moto you brew a bad batch ya drink it! You learn from your mistakes I sayo_O... I just hope I don't make too many this crap beer is killing me lol:D.

The taste is due to contamination. usually happens when i dont pitch the same day. i had finished the batch late at night so waited till next morning nd the only one i did pitch just to see is the one that still survives lol

We had a chemist come into the plant and said most likley is that the contamination is from the flys and to pitch within 12 hours to beat any infection. might help ithers who have had similar issues. these are the small batches only of course and not the larger tanks.

since i started using potassium metabisulphite in my mash Ive never had a contamination "but" people can be allergic to it, I am allergic to it in raw form

since i started using potassium metabisulphite in my mash Ive never had a contamination "but" people can be allergic to it, I am allergic to it in raw form

what quantity do you usually use for this? might try it with a few small batches with and some without might be the issue that saves my ass never know

I buy Campden tablets which is the same thing I use 1 tablet per 20 gallons of water

guys are looking to see if its available here in Mexico. hope so lol

most home brew shops will carry it, not sure about Mexico....do you have any in your area?

most home brew shops will carry it, not sure about Mexico....do you have any in your area?

not local, we have to ship everything we order, makes it harder and a bit of a pain, but if its available im sure they will find it eventually lol

Campden tablets are potassium metabisulfite. You might try a winemaking shop or supplier. If you can't get the Campden tablets and can get the meta, we might have some here who use the tablets and have sensitive scales weigh a few and see how much of the stuff there is in a tablet. I'd rather work that way anyway, if I used the stuff. So, question to the forum: How many grams does a Campden tablet weigh?

according to Google

" one teaspoon (US dry measure) of potassium metabisulphite weighs approximately 1.4 grams. So, 0.44 grams (the contents of one Campden tablet) is 0.44/1.4 = 0.314, or roughly 1/3 of a teaspoon. ... So, 0.44 grams (the contents of one Campden tablet) is 0.44/1.4 = 0.314, or roughly 1/3 of a teaspoon"

Back