NE IPA Question

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So I dove into the craze and brewed two batches. Both with Conan. Batch# 3 will be with 1318. The latest was bottled 12 days ago and opened one yesterday.

It's more of a non malty amber ale than a NE IPA. Taste wise it is pretty good, could use more hop aroma/flavor but overall I'm satisfied except for the color. Oxygenation!!!

I do not have a keg setup. I use a Sterile Siphon Starter to transfer from carboy to bottling bucket and use a spring loaded bottling wand to bottle. Once the bottles are filled, they are capped immediately.

Don't want to spend the bucks for a beer gun and co2 set up. Is there any other way to avoid oxygenation with these types of beers?

Why is this style susceptible to oxygenation more so than other styles like APA's?

For now I need to make due with what I have as I do have plans to get a kegerator next year.

Yea there is less risk,of oxygenation when Kegging I'm new to the kegdom but you can purge out the oxygen as soon as your Finnished rackin I've even herd of people usin the co2 to rack their beer into keg.

Why is this style susceptible to oxygenation more so than other styles like APA's?

It isn't. Staling due to oxidation happens regardless of style if you get sloppy with transferring or filling. It may be a bit masked by more intense flavors but that's the only hope.

I don't see how it would oxydize in 12 days, not enough to be intense, at least. I'd look at possible contamination or maybe you got some stale hops.

I don't think the hops are stale or bad but I probably wouldn't know if they were. They smell good as did the wort while fermenting. As for contamination I don't think that's it either. I clean and sanitize everything and I feel my practice is sound. Only thing I can see is racking from carboy to bottling bucket. It's not a closed transfer and I don't purge the bottling bucket or bottles with co2.
I don't have this issue with any other beers I have brewed, which are mainly APA's and blonde ales.

Reactions: J A
I don't rack via a sypon I rack through spigot on bucket into keg sometimes an air bubble can sit in the line near the tap and somethimes air can come in through the edge of the hose where it sits on the tap. When I transfer I turn on the tap and hold the end of the transfer hose up so it fills completely with beer turn off tap put hose into keg and turn on tap that way no air locked in line. You can hear the air bubbling.

Back