Pilsner malt - (60 or 90 min boils)

Pilsner Malt boil times

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

apopnj

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok guys the opinions vary on how long pilsner malt needs to be boiled (either 60 or 90 or something i between) Brulosophy did a test and discovered there is no difference between 60 and 90 min boil. Have you guys had any experience with 60 min boils or do most still do a 90 min boil?

I don't know if it makes a difference
But when I use Pilsner I always Mash 90 minutes and Boil 90 minutes
And I will probably not change that
With no Pilsner I boil 70 minutes MOST times
That's just me

I'm evolving on this issue. I've done both and have not noticed a difference. I've gotten so much advice from very experienced brewers to the effect that 90 is safest, so I tend to default to that or at least go 75 minutes, depending on the recipe. I think it's true that it's not likely to make a difference as long as the boil is fairly strong.
That being said, I have a friend whose a chef and experienced brewer and he swears that 60 is quite fine and having the lid on (partially, at least) for minimum boil off is absolutely the right way to go.

i think where and when the grain came from is key not so much the type, i boil for 90 regardless it just works out for my system

Reactions: J A
I tend to go slightly over with Pilsner, but 60 is my target and good enough (IMHO).

i'm a little too drunk to read. just commenting on how much i love the new poll feature.

but, i always boil 60 min, just because of my setup.

Have boiled 90 for all grain always whatever the recipe. Mash with adjuncts 90 usually. Just stuck with what Palmer say's I guess. Works for good beer for me.

90 minutes is my default boil time for nearly everything. I like the kettle caramelization I get.

I boiled a Czech Pils for 90 minutes and it's the only beer I've done yet that showed a trace of DMS. I think there's a touch of diacetyl because I get more butter than corn but at least one of the guys in my local club detected a trace of corn. If I'm remembering right, I boiled that one with the lid partially on to reduce boil-off, so I suspect that's the thing that did it.
I've taken to sparging more and starting with a bigger boil and splitting off part of it for 30 minutes to get my 60 minute volume right for my main pot.

Check out brulosophers rough and shoddy brew it will blow your mind!

Plus id gather what type of brew your making would also influence the boil times like a (porter or stout, barley wine not that I've made em) where you want to increase the colour and gravity caramelisation.

if you think ahead and know you system well then design it into your recipe, you can increase the sparge to account for any amount of boil time, thats all it takes

While I like Brulosophy, their tests tend to be single experimental runs. I won't throw years of brewing knowledge away without at least some replication. Their tests are good and valid, they run some at our homebrew club meetings, but they're single tests. I'll take their results as advice and try them on my systems but I won't change my brewing process based on their work.

What brews of brewlosophers have you trialled there Nosey? What did you think of em all up? It's intriguing stuff his exbeerments and so detailed too.

While I like Brulosophy, their tests tend to be single experimental runs. I won't throw years of brewing knowledge away without at least some replication. Their tests are good and valid, they run some at our homebrew club meetings, but they're single tests. I'll take their results as advice and try them on my systems but I won't change my brewing process based on their work.
Like treating anything Mr. Palmer said in his first few books and later recanted ?
i did learn a lot from them but until i have done it myself and tasted results i'll keep an open mind

Recanting is the essence of scientific thought. That's what separates it from religion and politics: In science, evidence can change opinion. In the other two, it just reinforces what was thought in the first place. In Mr. Palmer's case, if accumulated evidence caused him to change his position, he's thinking scientifically, as I try to do. Hence my reserve at "proving" or "disproving" (actually, only the latter is possible) based on a single experimental run. I am intrigued by the trub vs. clean wort idea....

we do ours with pils at 60 min in our brewhouse and we have not had any issues.

New malting technology more modified grain DMS reduced.

I was watching a Beersmith Podcast on bohemian pilsners and they guy said boiling longer will reduce chances of chill haze in beer, give it more golden colour from mailard reactions

interesting, i havebt had any issues with my pilsners doing it 60 min,

I've never heard of the "lid on during boil"...while we boil our wort we are looking to isomerize the AA from the hops, produce some mailard reaction, and blowoff unwanted aldehyde compounds that cause undesired flavors in our packaged product. Under that line of thinking a "capped" kettle boil off would condense on your lid and be recombined with the wort, defeating the the original intent of boiling.
I'm I thinking about this wrong?

Back