Double IPA - When to add the "hops"

Mka

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm brewing a "Double IPA" "North of the Pines Pale Ale", and the instructions ask for "5 oz of Simcoe hops". The Instructions explain when are where to add "3 oz of Simcoe" but DOES NOT say when to add those "2 oz of Simcoe hops" out "5"

Do you add those "2 oz of Simcoe" after primary fermenting? mid fermenting ? Please Advised? - see the link/instructions below.

Cheers !!!

Mk.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/300377/north-of-the-pines-pale-ale

Setup
Double check that all ingredients are on hand.
Make sure ice is on hand for ice bath, or fill up freezer trays.
Ensure all equipment is on hand (hydrometer, sanitizer, fuel, fermentor, kettle, air lock, hops bags, hoses, funnel, towel, etc).
This recipe calls for 6.37 gal (25.5 qt) of water given the recipe and your equipment profile.
Clean workspace and setup equipment.
Begin heating strike water in main cook pot. (175F / 79C is general target temp)
Add brewing salts as recipe calls for or to style.
Weigh out and mill grains if not already milled.
Prepare hops additions.
Take yeast out of fridge if using liquid ale yeast.

Mash
When strike water is ready, submerge grain bag and begin mash.
Place lid on kettle and ensure temperature is maintained.
Mash Step 1 - 152 F for 60 min, 16 qt, type: Infusion.
Mash Step 1 - Start mash timer, set for 60 min.
Mash Step 1 - Complete.
Mash Step 2 - 170 F for 15 min, 6 qt, type: Sparge.
Mash Step 2 - Start mash timer, set for 15 min.
Mash Step 2 - Complete.
Mash complete, remove grain bag from kettle.

Boil
Fill kettle to a pre-boil volume of 4.7 gal (18.8 qt).
Set kettle to high heat.
Add dry / liquid malt extract to kettle.
Prepare for boil, watch for boil over.
Start boil timer, set for 60 minutes.
Add 1 oz of Bravo at 60 min.
Prepare ice bath at 10 min.
Begin sanitizing lid of kettle at 10 min.
Add 1 oz of Simcoe at 5 min.
Boil complete. Flame out.

Finish
Whirlpool 2 oz of Simcoe for 20 min at 180 F.
Cool wort down to ~70F / 21C.
Sanitize primary fermenter, cork, air lock, aeration stone/hose, funnel, wine thief.
When wort is cooled to ~70F / 21C, transfer wort into fermenter.
Top off fermenter with water to desired batch size.
Aerate wort by shaking, rocking, splashing, or with aeration stone.
Take gravity reading.
Pitch yeast.
Fit with airlock or blow off tube for high gravity or dark beers.
Move fermenter to temperature stable area protected from light.
Clean up equipment.

Hello,

I'm brewing a "Double IPA" "North of the Pines Pale Ale", and the instructions ask for "5 oz of Simcoe hops". The Instructions explain when are where to add "3 oz of Simcoe" but DOES NOT say when to add those "2 oz of Simcoe hops" out "5"

Do you add those "2 oz of Simcoe" after primary fermenting? mid fermenting ? Please Advised? - see the link/instructions below.

Cheers !!!

Mk.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/300377/north-of-the-pines-pale-ale

Setup
Double check that all ingredients are on hand.
Make sure ice is on hand for ice bath, or fill up freezer trays.
Ensure all equipment is on hand (hydrometer, sanitizer, fuel, fermentor, kettle, air lock, hops bags, hoses, funnel, towel, etc).
This recipe calls for 6.37 gal (25.5 qt) of water given the recipe and your equipment profile.
Clean workspace and setup equipment.
Begin heating strike water in main cook pot. (175F / 79C is general target temp)
Add brewing salts as recipe calls for or to style.
Weigh out and mill grains if not already milled.
Prepare hops additions.
Take yeast out of fridge if using liquid ale yeast.

Mash
When strike water is ready, submerge grain bag and begin mash.
Place lid on kettle and ensure temperature is maintained.
Mash Step 1 - 152 F for 60 min, 16 qt, type: Infusion.
Mash Step 1 - Start mash timer, set for 60 min.
Mash Step 1 - Complete.
Mash Step 2 - 170 F for 15 min, 6 qt, type: Sparge.
Mash Step 2 - Start mash timer, set for 15 min.
Mash Step 2 - Complete.
Mash complete, remove grain bag from kettle.

Boil
Fill kettle to a pre-boil volume of 4.7 gal (18.8 qt).
Set kettle to high heat.
Add dry / liquid malt extract to kettle.
Prepare for boil, watch for boil over.
Start boil timer, set for 60 minutes.
Add 1 oz of Bravo at 60 min.
Prepare ice bath at 10 min.
Begin sanitizing lid of kettle at 10 min.
Add 1 oz of Simcoe at 5 min.
Boil complete. Flame out.

Finish
Whirlpool 2 oz of Simcoe for 20 min at 180 F.
Cool wort down to ~70F / 21C.
Sanitize primary fermenter, cork, air lock, aeration stone/hose, funnel, wine thief.
When wort is cooled to ~70F / 21C, transfer wort into fermenter.
Top off fermenter with water to desired batch size.
Aerate wort by shaking, rocking, splashing, or with aeration stone.
Take gravity reading.
Pitch yeast.
Fit with airlock or blow off tube for high gravity or dark beers.
Move fermenter to temperature stable area protected from light.
Clean up equipment.
Those are for dry hopping.

After primary fermentation, I'd rack the beer into a carboy and throw in those hops in a bag. After 4 days, rack the beer and package as normal

it left off the dry hop, per the recipe, dry hopping is done after fermentation not during brew day so thats probably why

Last edited:
Thanks for Replying. For this brew, would suggest wait about 3-4 days on the primary fermentation, add the "2 oz of Simcoe" to the primary Ferm. sealed back?

Cheers!

i wait until fermentation is completely done, and then add my dry hops to a secondary, and rack the beer into that vessel for a week.

Calculator version of the recipe (access recipe through link, "copy" in recipe tools, edit copied recipe) clearly shows 2 ounces of Simcoe dry hopped for 4 days. That would be 4 days before final racking for kegging, bottling etc...so during secondary fermentation.
So that's a way to get to the rest of the information that's not contained in the brew day list.

Thank you J A. Still learning the site (beginner brewer and loving it) """Obviously"" didn't know.

Calculator version of the recipe (access recipe through link, "copy" in recipe tools, edit copied recipe) clearly shows 2 ounces of Simcoe dry hopped for 4 days. That would be 4 days before final racking for kegging, bottling etc...so during secondary fermentation.
So that's a way to get to the rest of the information that's not contained in the brew day list.

Last edited:
Reactions: J A
Thank you J A. Still going learning the site (beginner brewer and loving it) """Obviously"" didn't know.

No problem. It's a pretty intuitive program and set-up as you get more used to it, but there's a lot to unpack at first. You might note that the Brew Day breakdown is based on information from the recipe calculator as well as from the chosen equipment profile. When you get a little further into it, set up an equipment profile that matches your equipment and process and you'll be able to refine your calculations so that you get accurate prediction of things like Efficiency and OG. There are still some quirky aspects of how the various pieces of the calculator interface, but all in all, it works really well.
Good luck!

PS...just realized that my choice of adjective in my earlier response might have sounded more emphatic than intended. I meant to indicate that the dry-hopping advice noted by the others was in line with the recipe. It's easy for tone to be misinterpreted in text, so I hope you didn't read in any condescension. Just trying to be helpful. :)

Also, on the Mash Guidelines it says - have a sparge section, Can I just do the infusion - the kettle boil only?

You should try to rinse the grains to get a little more sugar from them, assuming you have the right size kettle for the extra liquid.

Even just dunking the grain bag into another pot of clean hot water will work to some degree. Like a giant tea bag and cup

Reactions: J A
Hello @jmcnamara, good to know someone local. I will add you, if you don't mind.

As I type this I'm brewing the brew above.

Cheers,

Mka

If you didn't plan on a secondary you can add the dry hops right into the primary. A few more day's on the yeast cake won't bother a thing. Lots of choices in processes so use the ones that work for you..

Reading around. I'm going to add to add the 2 more oz of hops in four days that means Thursday. Cheers!

If you didn't plan on a secondary you can add the dry hops right into the primary. A few more day's on the yeast cake won't bother a thing. Lots of choices in processes so use the ones that work for you..

What's up jmcnamara! okay so I added the hops yesterday. I read around some folks transfer to secondary then added the hops. I decided to go with just adding the hops and leaving it there for 5 more days maybe four.

Also I hear it might get some bad taste if leaving too long on primary fermentation.

I have noticed my brew is a little too cloudy after is completed, poured into a glass.

How are things going?

awesome!

yeah, some transfer to a secondary, some don't. i personally typically do, I feel it clears my beer better. but then again, i don't use gelatin or other fining agents and i can't cold crash.

the bad taste you're talking about is autolysis, which comes from the dead yeast cells on the bottom of the vessel. from what i understand, that's a much longer timeframe (months) instead of a short one like dry hopping (just a few days) that it takes to develop that flavor. you'll be fine

and the cloudiness. unfortunately, dry hopping is going to make it a bit cloudier than if you didn't, but it's not a big deal. like i said above, there's things you can do to make it a bit clearer.

im assuming you're bottling. i put my bucket / carboy on the counter the night / day before i intend to transfer it to a bottling bucket. this helps things to settle a bit from moving it from the floor to the counter

Yes I'm bottling. But I'm trying to move away from that to use kegging, I found where to buy (which will be doing this week).

Books/instructions to follow general rule for beginners on kegging (don't want to blow the house ).

cheers!

Back