pH calculation using custom fermentable

Moevinger

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have 300L, 500L and 750L Roasted Barley so I created custom fermentables for them so could distinguish which one I am using in a recipe. Problem is if I include say 1 lb of the 500L in a recipe the pH suddenly drops to about 2.6. If I use the built in 550L UK Roasted Barley the pH is a more believable 5.5. I have ppg set to 29 and the mashed checkbox checked. Am I doing something wrong here or is there a problem?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-09-06-20-47-53.png
    Screenshot_2016-09-06-20-47-53.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 189
  • Screenshot_2016-09-06-20-46-42.png
    Screenshot_2016-09-06-20-46-42.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 197
I have 300L, 500L and 750L Roasted Barley so I created custom fermentables for them so could distinguish which one I am using in a recipe. Problem is if I include say 1 lb of the 500L in a recipe the pH suddenly drops to about 2.6. If I use the built in 550L UK Roasted Barley the pH is a more believable 5.5. I have ppg set to 29 and the mashed checkbox checked. Am I doing something wrong here or is there a problem?

OK so reviewing the images attached to my post I saw the issue is that the custom fermentable shows up as "Base malt" rather than "Roasted malt" but I don't see anywhere to specify this when creating the custom fermentable. Am I missing it somewhere.

OK so reviewing the images attached to my post I saw the issue is that the custom fermentable shows up as "Base malt" rather than "Roasted malt" but I don't see anywhere to specify this when creating the custom fermentable. Am I missing it somewhere.

In the dropdown, next to the name "base malt', can you click that little arrow and select roasted malt?

In the dropdown, next to the name "base malt', can you click that little arrow and select roasted malt?

Yep I can in the water tool and that's how I tested to see if that made it work. It seems though that if it affects the outcome that much that you would want to be able to specify that when creating the custom fermentable. I can live with the workaround but it just seems kinda "klunky". BTW glad to see you here helping out Yooper!

Yep I can in the water tool and that's how I tested to see if that made it work. It seems though that if it affects the outcome that much that you would want to be able to specify that when creating the custom fermentable. I can live with the workaround but it just seems kinda "klunky". BTW glad to see you here helping out Yooper!

So you're saying that you can adjust it in the water tool, but not in the custom fermentable addition? I want to make sure I understand where the problem here lies, and not just give you a workaround!

So you're saying that you can adjust it in the water tool, but not in the custom fermentable addition? I want to make sure I understand where the problem here lies, and not just give you a workaround!

Yes, you got it. In the attached pic you can see that you can specify the ppg, lovibond value and if its mashed but not base vs roasted even though that seems to affect the calculations pretty significantly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-09-06-22-00-35.png
    Screenshot_2016-09-06-22-00-35.png
    97.5 KB · Views: 158
Perfect- thank you for the full explanation. I went through and tried to add pale chocolate malt but wanted to make sure.

I think what we're saying we need is an "explanation" type of box, where we can add roasted/crystal/base grain to a description to make sure it behaves appropriately in the water tool?

Perfect- thank you for the full explanation. I went through and tried to add pale chocolate malt but wanted to make sure.

I think what we're saying we need is an "explanation" type of box, where we can add roasted/crystal/base grain to a description to make sure it behaves appropriately in the water tool?

Yes maybe the same kind of drop down for malt type as you have available in the water tool would do it and it seems appropriate given how significant it seems to be for things that use that information.

Back