Diy temp control project

LlewellynBrewHaus

Premium Member
Reaction score
Finally I am getting around to upgrading my fermentation practices with a temp controller. The first shipment of parts arrived today :p [itc-1000 and water pump]. Still waiting on the 304 SS 3/8" tubing.
My plan is to fabricate an in the wort heat exchange coil using the SS tubing to recirculate chilled water throughout the fermenter allowing for pretty precise temps.
I'll get some workbench pics uploaded as I progress !!!
Super excited

I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone doing it that way. Interesting!

It certainly isn't an original idea, it is modeled after SS brew tech's beautiful and $$ FtSS system for their brew buckets ... Just now poached a mini fridge soooo my be adding a glycol unit to this build

So my project is finally showing some progress. Applying some diy-jitsu to the fridge

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 889
Slowly slowly don't kink it :shock:

Which container to place in fridge ? Bucket or cooler

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,038
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 693
Stainless came !!

Controller box started

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 760
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 704
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 710
A bit jealous of your engineering know how. Good luck and keep us posted!

Found some time to dink around in the shop this afternoon before being forced back to stupid work tonight! #getting closer

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 738
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 712
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 825
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 679
The heat exchanger portion didn't turnout as drafted :( the 304 stainless proves to be some very stout tubing and refused to be bent to 180 degree w/o flattening at the apex of the radius , that would have been needed to accomplish the vertical coils I imagined ; resorted to the duct tape and corny method

Pretty technically advanced. Very interesting. I have a mini fridge converted to a fermentation chamber with the use of an Inkbird ITC308 2 stage temp control and a Lasko personal ceramic heater. Maintains optimal temps with a +/- 3 degree window. My next mod is to add a frame to increase the fridge depth to fit a 6.5g bucket.

Happy brewing!

It's alive ! :twisted:

Doing an acid passavation on the coil now. Hope to play around with it a bit more tomorrow in a mock setup to see how it performs [i.e. check for leaks]Then on to my LHBS to get stuff for O-fest, get it in the fermentor and finally lagering.
#imsoexcited

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 537
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,145
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 562
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 506
It's alive ! :twisted:

Doing an acid passavation on the coil now. Hope to play around with it a bit more tomorrow in a mock setup to see how it performs [i.e. check for leaks]Then on to my LHBS to get stuff for O-fest, get it in the fermentor and finally lagering.
#imsoexcited
How'd this turn out Llewellyn? You end up fermenting some brews in this out of this world fermentation temperature control setup .

You sure do think outside of the box or should I say fridge:p. Man I'm thinking how to chill the fridge/freezer space to cool my fermentor whilst you've flipped it on it's head and are chilling your beer internally. Probably more efficient temperature stability too?

How'd this turn out Llewellyn? You end up fermenting some brews in this out of this world fermentation temperature control setup .

You sure do think outside of the box or should I say fridge:p. Man I'm thinking how to chill the fridge/freezer space to cool my fermentor whilst you've flipped it on it's head and are chilling your beer internally. Probably more efficient temperature stability too?

:DIt works like a charm benny , use it all the time. Did a helles and a marzen last summer garage temp was 82-88 F and held temp in fermentor right at 50 I problem Added a fermwrap to the outside of the bucket for the chillier months ..she's pretty darn efficient too. Wort transferred in at 65 F can be dropped to lager temp 48 F in under 30 mins. Been a good addition to the brewing gear

Did you add glycol ?
With the temp range of not much above freezing and garages reaching over 120 of your silly F degrees i wonder how it would cope .
i'm moving and only have room for my full size fridge , all up cost me same as 4 hours wages so may need to add a similar chiller/ heat exchanger if i want to run multiple ferments or bring an IC into my brewing

How do you go about raising the ferm temp or warming it up in cold weather. Pitching temp in 30mins that's pretty darn good mate I recon if I brew in morning I'll be pitching 4-6 hours after at lager temperatures. Sounds like it was worth the trouble.;)

Back