What's your next brew

Now your scarring me. After my screwup of just tossing in the hops without a bag. I can see it now, my Bunyip will taste like Alfalfa.
I've done the same thing, but actually on purpose based on a suggestion from a beer judge who wanted to convince me that I wasn't getting full use of my hops. Not sure I'll do that again, though. The worst part to me is how much wort I lost because of the loose hops along with the goop from the Irish Moss (Whirlfloc). That was my last batch, and I get annoyed every time I look in the fermenting fridge and see just over 4 gallons from the same amount of work I normally get 5 gallons for. I just hope the taste and clarity were worth the losses. Pretty sure ALL hops will go in the spider from now on.

It's all about the learning.

I've done the same thing, but actually on purpose based on a suggestion from a beer judge who wanted to convince me that I wasn't getting full use of my hops. Not sure I'll do that again, though. The worst part to me is how much wort I lost because of the loose hops along with the goop from the Irish Moss (Whirlfloc). That was my last batch, and I get annoyed every time I look in the fermenting fridge and see just over 4 gallons from the same amount of work I normally get 5 gallons for. I just hope the taste and clarity were worth the losses. Pretty sure ALL hops will go in the spider from now on.

It's all about the learning.
I always throw hops in loose. I keep them out of the fermenter by using a double-mesh strainer when draining from boil kettle to fermenter. If there are a lot of hops I have to pause once to dump the hop sludge.

Now your scarring me. After my screwup of just tossing in the hops without a bag. I can see it now, my Bunyip will taste like Alfalfa.
If in fermentation it should be just fine with a good Cold crash you should be able to keg nice clean beer.

Up until recent years I used to let my hops free ball in the fermenter (you know un bagged).

I did the same thing with 4th qtr brew. I tried straining the hops out but it was turning into a disaster. I just dumped everything in the all rounder, pitched the yeast and let it rip. That was few days ago. I have no Idea what it tastes like.

I'm thinking about a beer to brew for Christmas. I might finally try a golden stout recipe I've had for ages. Maris Otter, Munich 2, Victory, Caramel 60, flaked barley, and rolled oats. Magnum for bitterness, Hallertau at the end of the boil. Cocoa nibs, coffee beans, vanilla, and maybe a touch of bourbon added late to the fermenter and S04 yeast

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Yes the sludge was deep. I tried to strain it with a hops strainer when transfering, to fine just plugged up right away. It is down to 1.008 (by tilt) this morning so I am going to add the dry hops. Hope I can remember the bag this time.

But Christmas New years is comming!

I'm in a similar situation but I wanna take some time on my next brew ...
UR right about that. I am planning to take a break from beer drinking and brewing for a couple months starting in January. Before that maybe I'll spin up a lager or pilsner and let it sit for a couple of months. All of this could change tomorrow.

I am down to my last 5 bottles of Stout, so I think when I have a fermenter available, Smooth Stout will be my next brew. Of course this could change, but at this moment it is what I think I will brew next.

UR right about that. I am planning to take a break from beer drinking and brewing for a couple months starting in January. Before that maybe I'll spin up a lager or pilsner and let it sit for a couple of months. All of this could change tomorrow.
Great plan of Action Clint!

I'll see what I feel like tomorrow.
Q4 will go into keg, then it is gonna be either my currently chilling ginger thingy on the trub or a blonde.
Leaning towards blonde and then ginger can go on its own into a smaller fermented.
Unlike some, I am low on stock

After a year off from brewing i am looking forward to brewing this weekend! I am thinking of doing a vanilla porter. Got my vanilla beans the other day.

Still tweaking with the recipe , need to decide on how much and when to add the vanilla beans.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1433453/vanilla-porter
Saw this in your other thread.
Good luck on your upcoming brew day.
Some people will soak those beans in vodka or rum, then add the liquid to the fermenter, or the keg or bottling bucket.
I have only ever added vanilla as pure extract, and not for the "vanilla" flavor, but to enhance the chocolate flavor I was going for.
Keep us posted on how your day goes, and how the brew comes out!

Saw this in your other thread.
Good luck on your upcoming brew day.
Some people will soak those beans in vodka or rum, then add the liquid to the fermenter, or the keg or bottling bucket.
I have only ever added vanilla as pure extract, and not for the "vanilla" flavor, but to enhance the chocolate flavor I was going for.
Keep us posted on how your day goes, and how the brew comes out!
Was that like extract for baking? Or something different?

Back