Decline in Hombrewing.

Are you aware of Beer Meister (west of Plymouth on MN 55)? Also check out the Nordeast Brewers Alliance's web site for an event this Sunday (Oct 22) (weather forecast is looking nice). I haven't been there (yet), but I'm hearing good things from a couple of people who have been there.

And while they are outside of my definition of "local", they also have a web site -- having another regional on-line option for supplies can be a good thing. If you don't like what you see today, consider checking back in 3, 6, and/or 12 months.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I'm in Milwaukee and the Northern Brewer location near me was in West Allis (Milwaukee suburb). But, there are a few Brewer's Friends that are in MN so maybe they can make use of your info.

Sitting in pub on airport concourse enjoying a local brew. I haven’t brewed since May because it’s been so darned hot in Sugar Land Texas. I’ve been in Colorado for the last two weeks helping a friend with some projects and enjoying some of the local ale. I’m looking forward to getting home and brewing again.
I had the good fortune to travel outside the US during my work career and got to sample real beer (ale) and I started brewing in order to get more of the good stuff. And I enjoyed the fact that I made it. A number of people have told me that I should start a microbrewery but there are already too many of them in my area. Plus I brew for fun and the love of it. My nephew wants to brew with me in the near future, so I’m confident that there will be “new blood” that enters the brewing community. Now, I’m going to go back to deciding what I’m going to brew when I get home!

For what it's worth: If you can recirculate the mash liquid, bang-bang works fine. If recirculation is difficult, PWM can offer better (well, easier) temperature control.
Interesting. Yes, I already recirculate. Thanks!

Crate of mosi, bombers, goes for 7 dollars (9 litre total)...
That's not in the pub though....

In summary, people are drinking less craft beer, because they are.......

For me, when I don't have alot of money. $13 for 4or 6 pack. Might be worth it, but there are alot of good beer for $8
It's choices...when you have multiple options there are multiple choices NOT picked. It's Economics 101, craft beer is a victim of Opportunity Costs!

“The number one reason why people say they're drinking less craft [beer] isn't because they're watching their waistline or watching their wallet, it's because they are drinking more of some other type of beverage alcohol,” said Bart Watson, chief economist for the Brewers Association,

I find it hard personally to ignore the Fact that homebrewing/Craft Beer isn't in a steady decline.

It reminds me of the long droughts we get in Australia where once the drought is over only the strongest trees survive to enjoy the next brief reprieve of rain before the next onset of drought.

It seems to me that the craft beer/homebrew industry are collectively combined in this drought. Homebrew stores are closing and craft breweries alike some of them long standing establishments.

We my hombrewing bretheren are maybe them trees with the deep homebrewing taproots.

Just an analogy I've had a few beers :D

I find it hard personally to ignore the Fact that homebrewing/Craft Beer isn't in a steady decline.

It reminds me of the long droughts we get in Australia where once the drought is over only the strongest trees survive to enjoy the next brief reprieve of rain before the next onset of drought.

It seems to me that the craft beer/homebrew industry are collectively combined in this drought. Homebrew stores are closing and craft breweries alike some of them long standing establishments.

We my hombrewing bretheren are maybe them trees with the deep homebrewing taproots.

Just an analogy I've had a few beers :D
Agree. My head is like wood.

It seems to me that the craft beer/homebrew industry are collectively combined in this drought. Homebrew stores are closing and craft breweries alike some of them long standing establishments
The pendulum is swinging the other way Ben

its not really home brewing that's the problem its many other things getting in the way, the coved backlash, high fuel costs, the economy, rent increasing, less people traveling, more shopping online yada yada, I could go on forever, things will level out unfortunately were loosing the face to face more and more.

my store closed mainly from new development moving in and raised the rent too high pushing people out along with online stores

its not really home brewing that's the problem its many other things getting in the way, the coved backlash, high fuel costs, the economy, rent increasing, less people traveling, more shopping online yada yada, I could go on forever, things will level out unfortunately were loosing the face to face more and more.

my store closed mainly from new development moving in and raised the rent too high pushing people out along with online stores
Yes I totally agree.
Its a culmination of increased costs on the average person's COST OF LIVING.

To me you know what that "Should" equal, more people taking up Homebrewing to produce the beer they wanna drink for Less!

Yes I totally agree.
Its a culmination of increased costs on the average person's COST OF LIVING.

To me you know what that "Should" equal, more people taking up Homebrewing to produce the beer they wanna drink for Less!
I'll go even further. In the states, the push to raise min wage to $15/hr has made everything cost more. (Apparently they have no economists making wage policy)
The people who were already making more than $15/hr doesn't get a raise, BTW. So all the people above the poverty line that have the most disposable income are the ones that are now making less, effectively. And they wonder why non-essential spending is down

I'll go even further. In the states, the push to raise min wage to $15/hr has made everything cost more. (Apparently they have no economists making wage policy)
The people who were already making more than $15/hr doesn't get a raise, BTW. So all the people above the poverty line that have the most disposable income are the ones that are now making less, effectively. And they wonder why non-essential spending is down
Logical economists? Ha! More like idealistic hopers with pipe dreams and no concept of human motivations.

But don't get me started on politics.

Why, if I were elected to congress... I'd stay for the year until I get the lifetime free healthcare and the $250k annual pension, then retire (in style).

I've been brewing for over 23 years now on the tower system I made in 2000. I'm lucky that I have a covered patio with a water supply and a power outlet, so I can brew year 'round; I grow my own hops too. As long as there is a source for supplies, either local or online, I'll keep brewing until I can't. Best hobby ever.

Brew tower & kegerator.JPG
IMG_9908.JPG
Hop bines.JPG

I've been brewing for over 23 years now on the tower system I made in 2000. I'm lucky that I have a covered patio with a water supply and a power outlet, so I can brew year 'round; I grow my own hops too. As long as there is a source for supplies, either local or online, I'll keep brewing until I can't. Best hobby ever.

View attachment 27232View attachment 27233View attachment 27234
You go Beerbelly! Your attitude is great, and you make your system work for you. Keep on keeping on!

Back