Decline in Hombrewing.

I'm going to keep brewing as long as I can. I've only been brewing 7 years or so and the more I experiment the more I dig the hobby. I also second what @jmcnamara said. This isn't a cheap hobby but boy are the finished products a joy to have around. I don't about you but, I rather have 6 gallons of beer around than a bunch of ceramic cups and bowls!

I'm going to keep brewing as long as I can. I've only been brewing 7 years or so and the more I experiment the more I dig the hobby. I also second what @jmcnamara said. This isn't a cheap hobby but boy are the finished products a joy to have around. I don't about you but, I rather have 6 gallons of beer around than a bunch of ceramic cups and bowls!
It can be as cheep and expensive as one would want.

When I started out a bucket a small 15lt pot and a spoon and extract malt and I was fermenting in no time.

If I started brewing again I'd do exactly the same thing.

Get that sanitation/fermentation thing under wraps and then my future self would whisper into my ear in my beery dreams "Buy some Kegs, Buy some kegs, BUY SOME KEGS! :p

One or two bad experiences with a home brew and the availability of craft in stores and at breweries/pubs has impacted the number of us who brew our own. I was just stubborn enough to get past the awful experiences because I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment. Now, if only I had more patience to let the brews fully mature...

Thanks I'll check it out!
And thank you for the Brulosophy podcast link (I respect their work but don't make the time to follow them closely).

For those who are 'time constrained', there is thought provoking commentary in the podcast starting at about 1:05:00.

And, in IMO, Annie Johnson's columns in CB&B that focus on extract brewing are a 'master class' that 'forum wisdom' could pay more attention to.

I don't have time to check that one out for a while, does anyone have a TLDR on the brulosophy episode?

I don't have time to check that one out for a while, does anyone have a TLDR on the brulosophy episode?
If it's the one I linked the podcast pretty much in short it sounds like AHA are short on membership people have been leaving in droves and so they announced they are combining with GABF to do a sorta combined can't remember what their calling.

But there will be no Hombrew competition just some shitty himebrew demonstrations where you come sit down and watch what you do most weekends make hombrew.

No judging of homebrew no sharing of hombrew.

Anyhow I'm not American I'm not even able to partake in mainstream beer anymore (Ceoliac) so personally It don't mean two parts of F all to me man.

But for Hombrewing in General it sums up the title of this thread the absolute state of decline in hombrewing in general across the board across the globe!

I'll go crack a GF hombrew and cry Into my beer now lol!

@Hawkbox : there is a segment at about 1:05:00 for about 10 min that may capture a key point in the podcast.

My TLDR (across multiple articles/podcasts/blogs/forums) is this: for those providing services to individual home brewers, the market is definitely in a transition period.

Had a good conversation with the LHBS owner the other day, business is definitely slower but remains profitable. He says it goes in cycles, and now the cycle is that all the pandemic brewers are dropping out. Wine is slowing because the typical demographic - retirees or near - are aging out. Benefits of low carbohydrate consumption* are more recognized now, so the youth (yoots) are turning to mixed drinks, hard seltzers and...not beer. And even then, unlike even 5 years ago, one has a decent chance of finding a certain brew style that simply wasn't available at the time.

But, in our favor, beer in 6-packs has become more expensive. For the price of a typical case of beer I can brew 5 gallons, just over 2 cases. So the cheapskates (like me) brew on.

*Newer studies show that humans enjoy better health on low-carb diets. Increased carb availability and consumption is said to be behind the dramatic increase in obesity and diabetes seen over the last century or so. This directly contradicts the information from most health agencies and organizations, and so is labeled as Controversial. I'd say take it all with a grain of salt, but salt is bad for your blood pressure...

Had a good conversation with the LHBS owner the other day, business is definitely slower but remains profitable. He says it goes in cycles, and now the cycle is that all the pandemic brewers are dropping out. Wine is slowing because the typical demographic - retirees or near - are aging out. Benefits of low carbohydrate consumption* are more recognized now, so the youth (yoots) are turning to mixed drinks, hard seltzers and...not beer. And even then, unlike even 5 years ago, one has a decent chance of finding a certain brew style that simply wasn't available at the time.

But, in our favor, beer in 6-packs has become more expensive. For the price of a typical case of beer I can brew 5 gallons, just over 2 cases. So the cheapskates (like me) brew on.

*Newer studies show that humans enjoy better health on low-carb diets. Increased carb availability and consumption is said to be behind the dramatic increase in obesity and diabetes seen over the last century or so. This directly contradicts the information from most health agencies and organizations, and so is labeled as Controversial. I'd say take it all with a grain of salt, but salt is bad for your blood pressure...
I just read yoots like I was Joe Pesci in my Cousin Vinny haha!

I've Stumbled upon this Twice thus far in recent weeks the humble Decline in people taking up and continuing on In the Hombrewing hobby.

We've all just witnessed the demise of some big arse US long time brewery Anchor Steam and I've been witness to a few going under here in Australia.

It seems these post covid days have been hitting the hip pocket pretty hard causing people to tighten the proverbial Belt buckle and forgoe the local tipple and even the hombrewing hobby altogether!

I for one remember the massive boom in hombrewing durin the Covid 19 pandemic I'm sure even a few forum members jumped on here In the brewersfriend forum.

I would thought the cost of living the rise in interest prices and rise in affordable living would of spurred people to keep on brewing beer at home so that's for sure puzzled me.

I know personally me and my little family have felt the pinch. I'm just glad I've lernt a few cost saving measures when it comes to brewing like yeast re pitching and well nowadays malting my own grains - buying hops in bulk has always been a wise idea if ya gunna be brewing long term.

I saw the brulosophy state of hombrewing survey had 1000 less participants from this time last year! that's a big hit within the hombrewing margins especially when it's a selection of that already small number of hombrewers who found there survey...

So what have you all been noticing in regards to your own hombrewing in general?

Are you cutting back on them more hoppy homebrews because of the cost / brew of such styles NEIPA IPA's?

Another thing I've noticed is the price of beer here in Aus has definitely gone North of 10$ mark for a schooner of craft beer and that can be pretty cheep depending on where you go for a beer!

Just interested in your thoughts on this?

Are struggling to keep in the hobby?

You seeing other hombrewers/pro brewers struggling?

Even online I see the extra push for Patreon on YouTube subscriptions for instance.
Anyhow enough of me waffling.

What's your take on this?
I've been homebrewing for more than 20 years. At first, I justified the investment in equipment by saying that the beers I made were less expensive than commercial beers.

Now I'm retired with enough time to brew and obsess about the next brew. I still think my beers cost less than commercial beers, especially given the recent rise in prices. And the quality of my beers has improved over the years. But I still buy commercial beers, if only to have a target style for a pending brew.

I'm going to keep homebrewing as long as I can do so. It provides a regular social time for me and my brew buddy. Plus, I really enjoy drinking and sharing my beers with others who like beer.

all the pandemic brewers are dropping out.
This is exactly what I thought when I first read the title! lol
Homebrewing isn't on the decline - just the pandemic spike is waning. I bet the spike created many lasting homebrewers though.

Plus, I really enjoy drinking and sharing my beers with others who like beer.
This is one of the biggest reasons I brew! I just love sharing it!
Ounce for ounce it IS cheaper too - IF you ignore equipment costs - but even then, I do feel that tends to level out too if you long haul it ;) Been brewing nearly 15 years now! And quality has certainly increased with practice! :)

there will be no Hombrew competition
NHC (National Homebrew Competition) is still on, HBC (Home Brew Con) is off for this year. The number of NHC entries is lower than the past, last year @ 4000 beers were entered, down from a high of 8000-9000 a few years ago.

The homebrewing and Craft beer thing was on fire just a few years ago and I think was unsustainable. A friend of mine predicted in 2015 that it had peaked and we would see a decline, so some saw it coming. Craft beer and home brewing are not going away, we just live in times that change so fast no one can keep up with theses trends.

Anyhow I'm not American
We will take you anyway!

BTW, the NHC is open to International participants, your Ceoliac beers could be entered as a specialty beer, just saying....

(Middle aged white guy) that's me that's the majority.

Fortunately we here on the forum are graced with a few Female hombrewers supporting the minority.

Hombrewing it seems isn't a young "person's" game anymore. I got into hombrewing late 20's but I grew up drinking beer I guess teenages/ young adults have found a new way to escape reality and have a good time with their friends?
Then there's the founders of Berkeley Yeast

https://berkeleyyeast.com/about-us/

Is that to do with the Female Co Founder ?
Not necessarily Ben, it's the whole company leadership...a younger, diverse team of people and not just f home brewers but for the industry! It is an exception to the widely held perception, true as it may be, that the majority of home brewers are all older white guys and there's a bunch of exceptions to that perception, Pink Boots, SoCal Cerveceros International Women's Beer Summit etc and it's good to see...keep 'em coming! I think it's something all of us here in the BF Clubhouse welcome.

I too have been brewing for a few years (Grainfather system), and do enjoy producing my own beers that are usually very good, and can compare to many micro brew offerings. Brew days for me are enjoyable and I have recently started kegging my brews, which requires a bit of acquired knowledge as well.

However, my thoughts on the decline of brewing participants MAY be due to the amount of time required for cleaning and sanitizing all equipment to insure positive and enjoyable results.

It certainly might be an eye opener regarding the time commitment required in this regard, that many new brewers may find excessive, especially with the demands of a growing family etc. And although you do become more efficient at this process over time, there is no avoiding it if you expect decent results.

Often people might start this hobby without fully realizing the overall time demands, just figuring - I can just throw a new brew on to save a few bucks..... It should be pretty easy!

I still think its a natural phenonemem (spelling?)
It comes, it goes...
But it seems like a lot of new brewers invest straight away into fancy (expensive) equipment. Then their first couple of brews are not what they think it should be and thats the end.
I frankly still don't understand why a new brewer buys a grainfather or something and starts with brewing 50 litre batches.
Slow down, couple of 5 to 10 litre batches on the stove. See if you enjoy it and take it from there.

I could have said it simpler.
KISS.
Small batch, low expense, learn. Then invest in what you really want

Back