Brewing with Ceoliac Disease

I actually googled mung bean beer I think it said something like seeds are better for malting than beans but we know they make soya sauce out of them beans...
Nah, thats from soybeans.
Also a common sprout, much bigger bean though and thus bigger sprout.

I've also been looking at malting mung beans ;)

Nah, thats from soybeans.
Also a common sprout, much bigger bean though and thus bigger sprout.

I've also been looking at malting mung beans ;)
Yeah that's what I was referring too I should be more clear my English sux.

Meaning you could probably make a brew outta mung beans.

End of the sun dry it was looking like it worked
20221227_124908.jpg

I then popped this in the oven on 90c for 3 hours
20221228_070921.jpg

1800g so back under starting weight of 2000g
Them shoots taste malty I can't actually bite through the corn lol milling this is gunna be interesting with my 2 roller mill:eek:

Anyhow this will be my first all grain gf brew 1.8kg corn malt
.8kg buckwheat biscuit malt.
1kg rice malt syrup
Woohoo bring on brew day:)

End of the sun dry it was looking like it workedView attachment 23663
I then popped this in the oven on 90c for 3 hours View attachment 23664
1800g so back under starting weight of 2000g
Them shoots taste malty I can't actually bite through the corn lol milling this is gunna be interesting with my 2 roller mill:eek:

Anyhow this will be my first all grain gf brew 1.8kg corn malt
.8kg buckwheat biscuit malt.
1kg rice malt syrup
Woohoo bring on brew day:)
Love your spirit Ben, good on you mate!
I hope it turns out well for you.

Just a random thought, couldn't you use something like a biltong box for drying the grain? Slightly modified.
Basically just a box with wire trays, open at the front (or bottom and top).
Old fashioned 40 watt light bulb at the bottom and maybe a fan.
There should be loads of (ex)Zimbo's in your area to give more advice ;)

Just a random thought, couldn't you use something like a biltong box for drying the grain? Slightly modified.
Basically just a box with wire trays, open at the front (or bottom and top).
Old fashioned 40 watt light bulb at the bottom and maybe a fan.
There should be loads of (ex)Zimbo's in your area to give more advice ;)
Yeah I've been brainstorming some ideas.
A plywood constructed box of sorta similar to Mr Laverys got in glutenfreehomebrewing.com.
He uses a bathroom extraction fan at the top and an industrial blower fan at the bottom for when kilning. This has racks up through the middle for germination and kilning.

Still doing some homework.
But I also like the power of the sun it's just not 24/7 but it's free and electricity is not getting any cheaper so I really need to think about the running costs.
When drying that thing may run for a day or two then kilning it's gunna cost...

For sure!
You'll need heat or air movement or both.
Which you should have in your climate

I use very simple racks for frying my onions and chili's. Just shade cloth in a frame of the ground, currently on beer crates. There is enough of a draft and it's hot enough

IMG_20221020_104356.jpg

For sure!
You'll need heat or air movement or both.
Which you should have in your climate

I use very simple racks for frying my onions and chili's. Just shade cloth in a frame of the ground, currently on beer crates. There is enough of a draft and it's hot enough

View attachment 23669

I put a temp probe in that corn when it was drying in my work van 57c in the middle of the pile perfect for drying I wouldn't want it any higher than that or will kill enzymes.

Wanna do a few more malting runs with other grains until I commit to laying down some $ and building something.

I've got 4kg of French millet comming as a test batch I can get that in 20kg for 60$ just a bit higher in $ to base malted barley grain but its looking like things are starting to fall into place :)

Brew day today.
Found out you can't mill corn in a 2 roller mill.
20230101_134834.jpg

Matilda said dad you dumb arse put it through the thermomix like you used to do these corn grains are just to hard! OK darling good thinking:D
20230101_135808.jpg

2.57g of grain

You can mill buckwheat just fine though.

Anyhow ive mashed in 55c will draw off The wort after 20 mins and boil the grian then incorporate the liquor back in and hopefully hit 63c for first step
20230101_140718.jpg

Oh man this has been a long brew day
20230101_143246.jpg

That's the brew liquor and in my sparge pot the grains buckwheat is a slimey bastard the starch in this mash didn't convert at all!
20230101_143252.jpg

Heated the kettle up to just below boiling and dropped in the grain bag.
Didn't think this through there is no way I can keep 95c with the bag sitting on the element lol.
Gunna have to come up with a better way to geletanis the grains
Maybe a pot on gas stove sepperate to this not sure.
Anyhow put the liquor back after piss farting around playing heat the grains in the bottom of the kettle and hit 60c sweet brought it up to 63c for as long as I swam in the pool with the family.

Then stepped to 70c while I ate them ribs bathed the daughter and kissed her goodnight.

20230101_194608.jpg

Boils up on the GF Beer little bit of hot break actually not too much less than I normally get.

I hit 5.2 brix yup I measured at start and it was 4 brix so there was F all enzymes in that grain either that or I didn't wait long enough before getting it to 95c

I think it's my malting pluss maybe my geletanisation of the grains.

Anyhow I added the syrup 1kg rice syrup and got a pre boil of 1.033.

Didn't take a FG lol
But I'm expecting 4 points on a 40 min boil

So be it the wort is in the kegmenter no chilling with 20g of cryo pop hops (feels such a shame that I couldn't use them more appropriately) till tomorrow.

Spinning some Windsor on some RWS prepped with some nutrient.

I've got a lot to learn and learnt alot today.

I'll be ordering some enzymes for next brew day for sure!

Back