What are you doing with homebrew today?

Kegged a pseudo-lager Festbier, fermented with Diamond. Pitched at 64*, dropped to 53*, then let fermentation take over. Temp peaked at 67* on day 3, then gradually dropped back to 63*, where it sat for another week and a half. 79% attenuation seems in the wheelhouse. Aroma has but a hint of sulfur, taste is clean, nice malt presence, and is that a bit of lemon I’m getting? I’ll admit I’m a half-arsed lager brewer and a full-arsed lager drinker, but this has me pumped. I’ll let it condition for only 2 weeks before I get at it.

B25DBA43-475E-4C67-9896-0572AF45A20A.jpeg

Bottled THIS today. Was pretty disappointed in the FG after 17 days. A couple errors, probably on my part, was keeping it a little on the cool side of the fermentation range for WLP-004, and perhaps cold-crashing a little too early. Dunno. Much higher FG than hoped for after going through the trouble to make a starter. Doesn't taste malty though. Perhaps after it conditions for a while and carbs up.

Up next, Frankenbeer II. Using Rahr 6-Row instead of 2-Row. Hoping the 6-Row isn't so high in enzymes that it makes the flaked corn do funky things to the batch. We'll see.
IMG_3069[1].JPG

It's plenty dark, though.

Kegged a pseudo-lager Festbier, fermented with Diamond. Pitched at 64*, dropped to 53*, then let fermentation take over. Temp peaked at 67* on day 3, then gradually dropped back to 63*, where it sat for another week and a half. 79% attenuation seems in the wheelhouse. Aroma has but a hint of sulfur, taste is clean, nice malt presence, and is that a bit of lemon I’m getting? I’ll admit I’m a half-arsed lager brewer and a full-arsed lager drinker, but this has me pumped. I’ll let it condition for only 2 weeks before I get at it.

View attachment 22766
Lemon is definitely something i get sometimes in a lager faint that is from the hops.

Can't wait to see this in a glass:).

Sunfire,
I did do the Mosaic at flameout like you suggested. I didn't go crazy on the hops. I only used 1.5 oz Cascade at 60 and an oz of high alpha Mosaic at flame out. I was hoping this would be a Pale Ale and not a full-blown IPA. The yeast was very fresh and took off in just a few hours. I about crapped my pants when I saw the expiration date on liquid yeast wasn't until March. I think it might be a nice, drinkable Thanksgiving beer regardless.

Sunfire,
I did do the Mosaic at flameout like you suggested. I didn't go crazy on the hops. I only used 1.5 oz Cascade at 60 and an oz of high alpha Mosaic at flame out. I was hoping this would be a Pale Ale and not a full-blown IPA. The yeast was very fresh and took off in just a few hours. I about crapped my pants when I saw the expiration date on liquid yeast wasn't until March. I think it might be a nice, drinkable Thanksgiving beer regardless.
Sounds delicious! I hope it turns out the way you were hoping

Bottled brown then off to conditioner-land for a quick meal and carbonation. Thank you yeast!
View attachment 22786
This outa be interesting since it's the first time using plain old table sugar to condition instead of powered corn sugar.
My inexperienced tongue can’t tell a difference, to be honest. I ran out of corn sugar and had to make up with cane (table). After that, I just use cane sugar since we already have it and it’s a bit cheaper. Let me know your opinion.

Making a 2L starter of Diamond Lager yeast for a batch of cold IPA. And looking at forward sealing faucets...I don't drink as much homebrew and the cheap chrome faucet I have is getting sticky between uses. @Josh Hughes what's the status on that V3S that you bought? Do you like it?

My inexperienced tongue can’t tell a difference, to be honest. I ran out of corn sugar and had to make up with cane (table). After that, I just use cane sugar since we already have it and it’s a bit cheaper. Let me know your opinion.
It depends on what you are used to. I know the exact weight of what I need for corn sugar, but if you have a calculator and can adjust down for table sugar, go for it. I ran out of corn sugar once and added a little table sugar for a Belgian for a little extra carbonation.

Stupid phone. Also meant to add: Simple sugar is simple sugar although table is more concentrated than corn.

Stupid phone. Also meant to add: Simple sugar is simple sugar although table is more concentrated than corn.
Isn’t corn sugar fructose versus cane sugar sucrose? Not a huge difference in how much to use for priming.

Cobbled together a Rube Goldberg Bottle Filler / Keg Cleaner using two kegland "Carbonation Ball Lock Quick Disconnect (QD) Cap Tee Fittings", two stainless carb caps, a plastic tube and a pressure release valve. First attempt leaked CO2 like a sieve, but some keg lube and cranking with a wrench closed up the system.

Had been looking at TapCooler bottle filler, but for $70 thought it is too rich. Was also considering a Home Depot pressurized sprayer. Might have solved both problems.

Can only fill a 2 liter soda bottle at this time, but will try adapt for my (numerous) beer bottles. Would be nice to share actual bottles with labels now and then, from the keg.

That’s was how I bottled, I’d put sugar In each bottle
Curious @Josh Hughes and @Ward Chillington how much you are dosing per bottle? I originally used to transfer to a bottling bucket and add a slurry, but within the past year have switched to different forms of sugar to simplify the process and avoid/reduce oxidation. Through trial and error I found that 1.5-1.7g. seems to be ideal for my NEIPAs, but my darker beers (browns, porters and stouts) are happier with 2-2.4g.

Hey @Semper Sitientem ...my dose is in the bucket and I use the priming tool on the site here. I'll adjust the carbonation level if I want more or less fizzy per style with the suggested style volumes in the tool. Since my tap water from my well is b on a softener, I put a few pints or quarts into Mason jars on brew day from my rv filtered water from the tank so I bypass the softener then water bath can that filtered water. Come bottle day I just pop the top and boil that for the sugar solution. I'd like to try tossing some second running wort into the beer to carbonate or spesie a batch ...ya know ...old school...for science...yeah

Making a 2L starter of Diamond Lager yeast for a batch of cold IPA. And looking at forward sealing faucets...I don't drink as much homebrew and the cheap chrome faucet I have is getting sticky between uses. @Josh Hughes what's the status on that V3S that you bought? Do you like it?
I’m not sure which one if got…I really like it. Also not sure the creamer function on mine works but I think I bought the wrong one for that. The one you mentioned is only $50 now and that is tempting..

I transferred my Bitter using all Chevallier malt. And the sample was great! i also assembled my fermzilla

Bottled brown then off to conditioner-land for a quick meal and carbonation. Thank you yeast!
View attachment 22786
This outa be interesting since it's the first time using plain old table sugar to condition instead of powered corn sugar.
Don’t worry Ward, table sugar always works for me.

Back