overnight mash

It's not too bad. It's dry heat and still cooling down at night.
Our hottest month is October, it's called suicide month :eek:
But I don't mind it much. I don't like Nov/Dec, when it is less hot, but building up for rain. That sort of feeling when your skin crawls with the electricity of that thunderstorm that's nearby, but it doesn't rain.
I got no AC, but a lot of air movement inside my "house".
And I'm sure the roof still leaks. Tried fixing, but I'll only know for sure when it rains. We can get something like 50 mm in 30 minutes if there's a real downpour....

But I don't mind it much. I don't like Nov/Dec, when it is less hot, but building up for rain. That sort of feeling when your skin crawls with the electricity of that thunderstorm that's nearby, but it doesn't rain.
And I'm sure the roof still leaks. Tried fixing, but I'll only know for sure when it rains. We can get something like 50 mm in 30 minutes if there's a real downpour....
Yeah, that's what they told me about Phoenix Arizona: it may be 122F but it's a dry heat.

My shoes melted to the pavement. Dry heat my @$$, it is still damn hot!

But seriously: I'm sure that you were used to it and although somewhat uncomfortable it's not really the end of the world. People living there have endured this for centuries. Of course you're welcome to come to Atlanta during the summer and enjoy the indoor air conditioning. But I'm really confident that's not the kind of lifestyle you'd prefer.:D

Living in Darwin Australia for 5 years that about reflects their suicide season or as the locals refered it can't remember the other names probably not worth mentioning here.

Anyhow it's the build up that hot tropical 100% humidity that sticks around night and day where 5am in the morning just before sunrise was actually soo hot and sticky without a breath of wind for cooling.

You get some weird human behaviour in the months Oct- December before monsoon hits and makes life more bareable.
The news paper used to have some incredible stories I remember one article reading about a bloke who stabbed someone in the eye with a spoon! And another fella made world wide news sticking a fire cracker up his arse and ligting it on fire!:p
Silly season

The locals here ask me how anyone can survive in a climate were the temperature goes below freezing point.
They are sure they won't be able to :D

It's just what you are used to :p

The locals here ask me how anyone can survive in a climate were the temperature goes below freezing point.

It's easy. Put on an extra shirt and a good winter coat. You can always add another layer when needed, easily.

Indeed.

The priest at my church grew up in India and spent the last few years as a missionary in central Africa. Then his order sent him to Wisconsin! Last year was the first time ever he had ever experienced snow, ice, freezing temperatures!
20_f.png
Now that's dedication.....or punishment :p!

I spent the better part of 6 months out in Barstow, CA doing a job for the USMC Logistics Base. Got out there in February. First week was absolutely gorgeous, desert was green with winter vegetation, and stunning. A week later, all that vegetation was tan colored, and burn bans were everywhere. The following week, the tan colored fire fodder was all white, sun-bleached. Then, El Nino winds hit along with the sandstorms which etched all the paint off the passenger side of my rental car, and all the white vegetation was GONE, turned to dust by the sandstorms. By mid April, daytime temps were already popping round 100-110 F, night time temps in the high 35-45 F range, and it didn't take long for hypothermia if you weren't dressed for it. I'd go to work in a thick coat, and burn my hands on the car door handles at lunch time. On July 31st, the day I left to come back home, it was 38F on the thermometer on the sign in front of the hotel at 0600. At 1200, when I went back past the sign, it was 118F. 80 degree (F) rise in 6 hours, and it still wasn't as hot as it was gonna get that day. I know now why I live in the South. It may get muggy here, but if you can wear shorts in the daytime here, you can typically wear shorts that night too. If you need a coat in the morning, you'll need it that night, too. Out there, you go through a whole year's wardrobe every day.

I spent the better part of 6 months out in Barstow, CA doing a job for the USMC Logistics Base. Got out there in February. First week was absolutely gorgeous, desert was green with winter vegetation, and stunning. A week later, all that vegetation was tan colored, and burn bans were everywhere. The following week, the tan colored fire fodder was all white, sun-bleached. Then, El Nino winds hit along with the sandstorms which etched all the paint off the passenger side of my rental car, and all the white vegetation was GONE, turned to dust by the sandstorms. By mid April, daytime temps were already popping round 100-110 F, night time temps in the high 35-45 F range, and it didn't take long for hypothermia if you weren't dressed for it. I'd go to work in a thick coat, and burn my hands on the car door handles at lunch time. On July 31st, the day I left to come back home, it was 38F on the thermometer on the sign in front of the hotel at 0600. At 1200, when I went back past the sign, it was 118F. 80 degree (F) rise in 6 hours, and it still wasn't as hot as it was gonna get that day. I know now why I live in the South. It may get muggy here, but if you can wear shorts in the daytime here, you can typically wear shorts that night too. If you need a coat in the morning, you'll need it that night, too. Out there, you go through a whole year's wardrobe every day.
Holly crap man that sounds vicious!

Thanks Wardi, for the link, and for bringing us back on topic!

I thought about overnight mash but then the next day will take longer to get to a boil. 120v system anyway. I can takes hours to get to a boil from room temp water. So I haven't really tried it.

So, if lactobacillus is a threat, what about removing the grain and then raising the wort to something like 180F for pasteurization, then storing it overnight? If the objective is to split the boil time out to a later day, without risking lactobacillus, what difference does it make if you raise the temperature for pasteurization? I thought leaving the grain in mash temperature water too long was a really bad idea (tanins, etc), but perhaps not, according to the article that @Ward Chillington linked. The only negative comment I saw on the whole thing was that head retention was somewhat affected. This wouldn't be a new problem to me, but nor am I too affected by brew day time limits. Equipment limits, yes, time, nope. Wouldn't it be cool to have a 6th Century monk around to ask how they did it, and how much they lost to infection? I get it, when it's hot outside, and muggy, it ain't fun to brew outside.

I overnight mash because I have a RIMS setup. Not sure I'd ever do it without temperature control.

I've ran into problem 2. Wind!
So much so, that I don't think I'll be able to get my pot of water to a boil after about 8 or 9 in the morning.
So I'm going to go ahead with an overnight mash.
I'll report back on finishing temperature, but I'm quite confident that will be around 50 oC or more (fingers crossed)

Back