overnight mash

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason not to do this?

It's getting hot here, so I was thinking of starting mashing in the evening, then boiling etc in the morning before it gets too hot.

My mashing method is very basic. Bring water to about 72 oC (or 74 for higher mash temp), put bag with grains in the pot. Stir a bit, put lid on and put the whole pot in a cooler box, lined with duvets.

I've done overnight and morning mash afternoon boil I had no issues doing this answer weirdly enough no better efficiency.

Thanks
I've done 4-5 hours without a problem, but this would be longer.
How long do you figure it will be good for? Before turning sour?

Very fermentable wort should not be a problem for a Saison, isn't it?
Would it be an issue for a Belgian pale ale?

Seems that if the mash temperature drops too much, the souring starts pretty quickly.
I'm not sure what temperature range the lacto likes the best, but when making a kettle sour, I kept the wort at 100° F.

Perfect for Belgian styles. I might not do this for any style where I wanted moderate to heavier mouthfeel.

Seems that if the mash temperature drops too much, the souring starts pretty quickly.
I'm not sure what temperature range the lacto likes the best, but when making a kettle sour, I kept the wort at 100° F.
Could you not wrap the kettle in plastic wrap to keep the little buggers out? Or is that wishful thinking?

According to a quick search, lactobacillus grows most rapidly in the 30°-45° C temperature range.
So keeping the mash in a higher range will extend the time before it starts to sour.

Thanks
I've done 4-5 hours without a problem, but this would be longer.
How long do you figure it will be good for? Before turning sour?

Very fermentable wort should not be a problem for a Saison, isn't it?
Would it be an issue for a Belgian pale ale?
There's a lot of microbes on grains and turning sour is one of the better outcomes from those microbes (fecal/garbage tastes and aromas can happen).

If you're mashing relatively low you may not pasteurise the wort, but it would need to be pretty low. 5-10 minutes at mid to high 60s kills most things likely to find it's way into wort. Even if you pasteurise it, there's always microbes drifting in through the lid. Though at that stage, if you like the taste of it you can call it lambic and say it was deliberate.

Very fermentable wort is what I'm aiming for with the Saisons I brew. Some people like malty, chewy Saisons, not me.

For the pasteurisation at mash temperatures this podcast has more information than you probably want to know - http://thebrulab.libsyn.com/episode-071-challenging-pasteurization-assumptions-w-dr-grzgeorz-rachon

That's because once the grain has converted and the enzymes denatured, there's nothing left but for the bacteria to take over.
No boil beer is all I think about when it comes to this extended mash thing. No boil wheat beers and kviek you'd end up with a sour beer.

On pasturisation on milk but same principles apply.
@Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews would be doing this with his milk
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/pasteurization

It happens pretty quickly at 72c:)

Oh hold the phone latest bru lab on yeast Ascospores
https://open.spotify.com/episode/4Z...i=ykwtpJrFS9WEQwLY9RW9MQ&utm_source=copy-link

Last edited:
I do this almost every brew but I have a rims. I’ve also sparged the next am, set the kettle at my mash temp and walked away for a couple more hours. I always get better efficiency with an overnight mash. It’s the bomb.

I still haven't decided what to do.
Need to make a decission and bottle & brew. Just need to work around the heat (temps in oC)
Screenshot_20220918-063147.png

Back