Primitive cider (again)

Then let it ride, see what happens

Here is a hydo sample of my blueberry apple cider. Very dry and just a hint of apple. I'll back sweeten it. It is at 1.000 right now.
20210912_184305.jpg

Yeah but not very tasty yet. I've got a remedy for that though.

Last edited:
Here's the latest: I back sweetened "pinky" with a can of frozen apple juice and put in a keg. Here's where it gets crazy. I found some guava nectar and more apple juice and poured it all on the yeast cake from "pinky's" batch. "It's alive......It's alive" I'll keep you posted on this latest experiment.

Tamarind cider got finished a while ago.
Just botteled my new batch of cider (was poured onto.the old slurry/trub), 5 x 1 litre bottles and threw in another 5 litre apple juice.
And yes, I cpuld make bigger amounts, but this way I can keep my cider consumption (marginally) under control ;)

I think I messed up a bit...
Last cider came out very nice, so now friends want to copy.
I decide to build up a little starter, using the remaining yeast from a drinkable bottle. Just added apple juice and it sets of proper.
My mates decide to take the straight bottle yeast, so I got this starter going, but with enough juice (in my opinion).
Normally fermentation is about done in 5-6 days and time to bottle.
So, 6 days in, i decide to top up the bottle with apple juice and close the lid.
Yesterday, I check and it looks like the level in the bottle has gone down...
I look again, and the bottle has a very different shape from usual. Much wider....
I've put the bottle in a coolbox, and am awaiting explosion :)

Right....
Temps are dropping.
Got apple juice
Need more cider
Choice of yeasts: Mangrove Jack cider, Fermentis T 58, Mangrove Jack M29 Saison and Kveik Voss (but rather not,)
Day temp 34 oC (93 oF)
Night 17 oC (63 oF)
No temp control, but fermenter will go in cooler box to level out day/night temp differences
What would you go for and why?

Personally, I'm done with cider yeasts - they rip through everything and leave a dry product which really isn't for me. I'm unfamiliar with those yeasts on your list but any kind of ale yeast is preferable to a cider yeast in my cider world :)

I bought some cranberry/pomegranate juice at the store (according to the ingredients there's also pear and apple juices in there lol). I added some yeast nutrient, a couple tablespoons of clover honey that needed using, and a sploosh of lutra kveik slurry. Didn't take a gravity reading. I love how fun primitive ciders can be :)
20220815_164758.jpg

So my last cider was/is sort of OK, but missing a bit of body compared to the previous batches. They have been on Saison M29 trub. Maybe re-using trub 4 or 5 times is too much?
Latest batch is about to be bottled and then I think the trub needs to go.
Or is there something else I can do?

I'll have some MJ 47 trub soon, so just thinking that will do for a next batch (before having to switch to voss kveik because of the temperature)

I bought some cranberry/pomegranate juice at the store (according to the ingredients there's also pear and apple juices in there lol). I added some yeast nutrient, a couple tablespoons of clover honey that needed using, and a sploosh of lutra kveik slurry. Didn't take a gravity reading. I love how fun primitive ciders can be :)
View attachment 21846

How did that one turn out @Sunfire96 ?

Back