imaginary trip through the time zones (beer window view)

I've never been in Canada or the USA, but all those states are so big!
I'm always baffled by the distances.
Is there a lot of difference between the states? Especially neighbouring states (I can imagine Florida and Alaska being absolutely not the same :p).
I mean: the USA is more than twice as big as the whole of the EU, but with less people (thank you google)
Canada is also huge, with even less people!
Most Aus states are larger than American states and definitely less populated lol!
The state I live in Queensland it's over 2000km from one end to the other
Screenshot_20220623-050023_Maps.jpg

Better place names as well, who doesn't want to live in a place called Bamaga?? :)

I've had a bit of time down in Brisbane and around the Gold Coast; special part of the world that.

In Ohio, we have a really great craft beer scene.
I'm in northeast Ohio, and in a 30 mile radius from downtown Cleveland, there likely 100 or so breweries. The Brew Mentor is one of them! Shameless plug.
Ohio just hit 400 total. Certainly too many to list.
Great lakes Brewing Company was one of the big and early ones and is still awesome.
Columbus brewing company in Columbus, Rhinegeist in Cincinnati and Fat Heads in multiple locations are just a few of the awesome offerings.
I'm blessed to have so many great choices!
Now somebody better chime in from Michigan!!

In Ohio, we have a really great craft beer scene.
I'm in northeast Ohio, and in a 30 mile radius from downtown Cleveland, there likely 100 or so breweries. The Brew Mentor is one of them! Shameless plug.
Ohio just hit 400 total. Certainly too many to list.
Great lakes Brewing Company was one of the big and early ones and is still awesome.
Columbus brewing company in Columbus and Reigngeist
You are right Ohio some great breweries. Also Cincinnati has some good ones. We used to get out more. The oldest brewery in Ohio is the closest to me. Their beer isnt super though. Pizza is good though

How about @Yooper for some of the Michigan scene?
Surprised it's so quiet in this zone so far as there's an incredible amount going on here!
As a start and maybe we'll get some more input,....
All the NEIPA's, Boston, Dogfish Head, Southern Tier, Bell's, Sierra Nevada Ashville, Cigar City, just to scratch the surface.
So, so many great breweries in this zone, don't miss your chance for input!
I didn't even leave the states yet, how about our neighbors to the north?
Cheers

Surprised it's so quiet in this zone so far as there's an incredible amount going on here!
All the NEIPA's, Boston, Dogfish Head, Southern Tier, Bell's, Sierra Nevada Ashville, Cigar City, just to scratch the surface.
Cheers
Stone Brewing Richmond, Sweetwater, Brooklyn Brewery, Abita, Flying Dog, Sam Adams, Trillium, The Alchemist

Equilibrium is about 4 minutes from my New York home, they are great. We also have many other smaller breweries in the Hudson valley. Most of them are beautiful areas with hills and farms.

My second home is in Delaware. Dogfish is a great venue but gets pretty crowded after noon. But dogfish is very cheap to buy in the store, a lot cheaper than a NY store. There are about 15 breweries within 25 miles, so lots of options. Fins/ Big Oyster is great. Mispillion, Revelation, Dewey and Burley Oak in Maryland are our go to breweries

@Zambezi Special States are very much alike in the big ways - traffic laws and McDonald's - but different in many smaller ways, such as English pronunciation and the overall 'vibe'. But cities are usually very similar, and rural areas are too. I can say that Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Italy are both same and different like this too (aside from language).

There is a definite 'Southern accent' spoken in the southeast of the US, centered on Mississippi and maybe 1200 km in each direction. In my youth I often had difficulty understanding this accent, particularly on telephone. Now with experience I don't struggle with it, but a visitor could find the language quite different from what we hear on television.

Back to beer: within 10 km of my house there are six breweries; not all make great beer, but each has at least one or two that are reliable (if unremarkable). Some are really good though, and their brewers universally love talking beer. Besides breweries, there is homebrew: the local home brew store is almost always very busy, and I count at least five homebrew clubs near by.

Just last month @Semper Sitientem alerted me to a commercial maltster just an hour from here, specializing in locally-grown grains. I plan to visit sometime soon.

There is a definite 'Southern accent' spoken in the southeast of the US, centered on Mississippi and maybe 1200 km in each direction.

Oh yeah...like that second "i" is pronounced as a long "a"? Let's not even get going on the Cajun accents 'cher!

Pennsylvania may not be the first state you think of when you consider craft beer, but PA actually has quite a history with it, and more recently, an embarrassment of riches with some great breweries. I try, but I simply can't get to them all! :)

The state says we have over 400 of them in the commonwealth...and remember folks, we have the oldest brewery in the country here in PA! Thank you Yuengling Sisters! Here's a list to start on and speaking of barley...don't forget the Whiskey Rebellion!

https://breweriesinpa.com/complete-list-of-breweries-in-pennsylvania/

Great Lakes Brewery has so many of my favorite beers. I think their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter is probably the best porter I've ever had. They had a beer tasting at Total Wine & More liquor last time I was in. I asked the sales rep if they have any interaction with the Canadian brewery of the same name. He said they have a fun relationship with them but, admitted that would probably change if either expanded into the other's country.

Cheers

We're in a bit of a beer wasteland here in the UP. There are great breweries in downstate Michigan, and also in Wisconsin (which we touch- I'm about 1 mile from the Wisconsin border), and Minnesota. We're held hostage by the three tier system here. Our distributors come of out Wisconsin (most don't go 'above the bridge') and don't carry many great lower Michigan beers, but we also can't get many Wisconsin breweries or Minnesota beers either!

The grocery store about 40 miles away is in Wisconsin and has a decent selection, but not of Michigan beers.

We're in a bit of a beer wasteland here in the UP. There are great breweries in downstate Michigan, and also in Wisconsin (which we touch- I'm about 1 mile from the Wisconsin border), and Minnesota. We're held hostage by the three tier system here. Our distributors come of out Wisconsin (most don't go 'above the bridge') and don't carry many great lower Michigan beers, but we also can't get many Wisconsin breweries or Minnesota beers either!

The grocery store about 40 miles away is in Wisconsin and has a decent selection, but not of Michigan beers.
That's crazy so even though their just next door they don't stock interstate beers wow.
I thought Australian states had a big devide.
Frustrating I bet.

Time to include GMT minus 6 :D

I spent a lot of time in Texas......unfortunately that was 7 years ago. Here is a list of Texas Breweries. Since I lived in Houston....I was more familiar with those breweries. One of my favorites and still is ..... Lone Pint Brewery in Magnolia. They make a SMASH IPA ..... Yellow Rose.

Anyway here is a link and you can take your time looking through the list and clicking on a brewery you think might be of interest. https://usbreweryguide.com/texas-breweries

So many types of beer!
You guys are either spoiled for choice or get confused about what to drink :rolleyes:

The answer is: Both! When I stop at virtually any liquor store there are so many choices I have to walk up and down the aisles 2 or 3 times just to decide what to get....and that's even if I'm just searching for local or regional beers.

Still moving around....
Including -7, -8 and -9.
That should sort of cover all Canada and USA
And gives a chance to talk about beerd for Canada day and 4th of July :cool:

@Nosybear should be able to give us a good list of what's happening with the beer scene in Colorado and the surrounding area, Oscar Blues is certainly one of my favorites.
The west part of the US is chock full of breweries and a big part of the development of craft beer.
Some of the obvious ones are Sierra Nevada, Stone, Anchor , Russian River, etc
Also, most of our hops are from the Yakima Valley

Ahh now we're in my home turf :D I grew up in Oregon and that's where my love for beer evolved. Some of the PNW breweries that I remember fondly are Deschutes, Three Creeks, 10 Barrel, Bridgeport, Widmer Brothers, Henry Weinhard, New Belgium, Ninkasi, Oakshire, Calapooia, Elysium, Rainier, Olympia, Redhook, Sierra Nevada, Stone, Two Towns Cider, Lost Coast...I'm sure I'm forgetting some :D

My first ever favorite craft beer was Black Butte Porter by Deschutes and one of my all time favorite IPAs was the original recipe Ranger by New Belgium. Good memories :)

Edit: I forgot Full Sail!

Last edited:

Back