imaginary trip through the time zones (beer window view)

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So, we are going travelling through the time zones ;)
I'll start at GMT +2, since that is where I am.
Initially we'll travel within the same time zones and then go west or east. Don't know yet and don't know if others are coming travelling with me.
Not much of a craft beer scene here in Zambia. We got the commercial lagers, much the same as in South Africa, except for Mosi, our local lager.
We have 1 brewery making some other beers. I like their red ale, but not really much impressed by their ipa and wit.
Not sure what else to tell. Ask questions and post your scene if you are in the same time zone (remember we can fly anywhere in this zone on our beer-sticks) :)

Ah woops I did put a wiki link in on Zambezi Brewery wanting to check out the specks on Mosi but it was more on the brewery than the beer I deleted linky stinky.

If we head west 1 zone I believe we cover Germany, so my vote would be for a
Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Looks like no questions and nobody else in my time zone, so we're about to travel...
And indeed we go west as google tells me that there will be less issues with jet lag.
GMT +1, my country of birth is in this time zone. So is Germany, Belgium, Czech republic. Lots of beers coming from there. Hopefully also some forum members

Sorry to time travel (so to speak)...Well I am currently here on Beijing time. The beer scene in China is continuing to develop, expand and most importantly improve.

Here in Beijing we have a few larger players in the craft beer scene and plenty of small start ups. There are an abundance of IPA's here locally but also a pretty decent variety of beers. My buddy makes a really good Dark Mild and another new brewery makes some really cool and amazing pastry stouts. Sours are also quite popular.

Also, there are several tap houses serving beer from around the world. I was really happy when one tap house brought several kegs from Jester King out of Austin, TX in......however my wallet wasn't as happy.

The big brewery local beers such as Tsingtao, Harbin, and Yangjing can be found pretty much everywhere. I not a big supporter but I can't deny that I haven't drank my fair share. I recall back in 2017 a big bottle of Yangjing cost about 2 RMB (about $0.30 USD) now I think its up to 6 RMB......inflation.

Anyways if you are ever here in Beijing please let me know and I would be happy to take you on a tour of the craft beer scene here.

Robert has a very fast broom stick :D
I think he's bored sitting in quarantaine ;)

Thanks for the invite @Robert68 .
Who knows? A friend of mine is actually working in China and he tells me it's a pretty good craft scene. Maybe I go visit one day.

For the rest of us, still in GMT +1, I'm not too sure about the craft beer scene in the Netherlands. Land of cheese (don't like), wind mills (never lived in one), Heineken (drank my fair share but prefer Hertog Jan. Love the 450 ml Grolsch bottles), canals, dykes and whatnot.
Belgian beers have always been very popular, for as long as I can remember

Robert has a very fast broom stick :D
I think he's bored sitting in quarantaine ;)

Thanks for the invite @Robert68 .
Who knows? A friend of mine is actually working in China and he tells me it's a pretty good craft scene. Maybe I go visit one day.

For the rest of us, still in GMT +1, I'm not too sure about the craft beer scene in the Netherlands. Land of cheese (don't like), wind mills (never lived in one), Heineken (drank my fair share but prefer Hertog Jan. Love the 450 ml Grolsch bottles), canals, dykes and whatnot.
Belgian beers have always been very popular, for as long as I can remember
My friend in the Netherlands drinks Belgian, British, or American beers :) not many Dutch beers consumed

I was driving so I will move back one time zone for a moment.

I'm fascinated by @Zambezi Special 's living arrangement. I imagine it is far less expensive (no electricity bills!) but somewhat primitive (thus, cider). I know she lives in what might be considered a rural neighborhood, directly on the river (which means plentiful water) and the local wildlife is manageable (e.g. no lions in the house). And there is a large town (Lusaka) an hour or two away.

But, do you cook with wood or gas? Is wood plentiful? I remember you have some solar panels, is that enough for you? How about communications - cell phone I guess? Any utility services? What are your neighbors like? How dark is the sky at night? I guess it is quiet, if you ignore the wildlife. Do you boat on the river sometimes??

@Robert68 I'll get to you next, as China is also fascinating...

Looks like no questions and nobody else in my time zone, so we're about to travel...
And indeed we go west as google tells me that there will be less issues with jet lag.
GMT +1, my country of birth is in this time zone. So is Germany, Belgium, Czech republic. Lots of beers coming from there. Hopefully also some forum members

I think your lack of beer there is more a function of latitude more than time zones...that and come to think of it...GMT+3 or 4 and you are in a lot of non-alcohol cultures aren't you? Kind of odd knowing that's where beer came from when you think about it....

My friend in the Netherlands drinks Belgian, British, or American beers :) not many Dutch beers consumed
Ah, but La Trappe is definitely worth while. They got a beautiful location in the South of the Netherlands. Worth going to.
There are, of course, a lot of craft breweries, I just don't know them all.

But much like the local lager here in Zam, there is nothing much wrong with the Dutch ones. Great when going out, and on a nice hot day ;)

I think your lack of beer there is more a function of latitude more than time zones...that and come to think of it...GMT+3 or 4 and you are in a lot of non-alcohol cultures aren't you? Kind of odd knowing that's where beer came from when you think about it....
It's lager drinking around here. And chibuku. But that tastes and looks like someone else had it before you :eek:
Needless to say I don't like it. Also goes by the name of "shake shake"
One good thing: at least they like their lagers cold here!

I was driving so I will move back one time zone for a moment.

I'm fascinated by @Zambezi Special 's living arrangement. I imagine it is far less expensive (no electricity bills!) but somewhat primitive (thus, cider). I know she lives in what might be considered a rural neighborhood, directly on the river (which means plentiful water) and the local wildlife is manageable (e.g. no lions in the house). And there is a large town (Lusaka) an hour or two away.

But, do you cook with wood or gas? Is wood plentiful? I remember you have some solar panels, is that enough for you? How about communications - cell phone I guess? Any utility services? What are your neighbors like? How dark is the sky at night? I guess it is quiet, if you ignore the wildlife. Do you boat on the river sometimes??

@Robert68 I'll get to you next, as China is also fascinating...

Aye, where to start?
We go from real primitive to not at all.
I'm in an area with no power (prob why I could afford to buy).
I cook on gas. My geyser runs on wood, my bbq (braai) on charcoal.
Comms via mobile phone and internet the same way.
It's beautiful where I am, but harsh at the same time.
I pump water from the river. No need to treat. You can drink it straight :)
Zimbabwe is on the other side of the river and they have always taken wildlife conservation very seriously, so at night I hear lion, hyena. At daytime hippo, baboons, elephant etc

I do go out boating, fishing (not often enough though) and hire out boats as well.

No electricity, so hardly any light polution. Awesome night skies

Only about 5% of people pay any form of tax here (me being one of them). No utilities to speak of. No social security.

Photo from Anne-Marie - Private-1.jpg

I'm even greyer now

Aye, where to start?
We go from real primitive to not at all.
I'm in an area with no power (prob why I could afford to buy).
I cook on gas. My geyser runs on wood, my bbq (braai) on charcoal.
Comms via mobile phone and internet the same way.
It's beautiful where I am, but harsh at the same time.
I pump water from the river. No need to treat. You can drink it straight :)
Zimbabwe is on the other side of the river and they have always taken wildlife conservation very seriously, so at night I hear lion, hyena. At daytime hippo, baboons, elephant etc

I do go out boating, fishing (not often enough though) and hire out boats as well.

No electricity, so hardly any light polution. Awesome night skies

Only about 5% of people pay any form of tax here (me being one of them). No utilities to speak of. No social security.
Zambezi, I've always been curious about how you ended up in Africa? Seems like a great adventure!

Ah, you color it grey so people respect your experience. Good plan...

And what a view! River is probably a big thing in the area.

I am just thinking that lions don't swim. At least I hope not. For your sake.
Hippos are scary :eek: too.
Oh and crocks:D

My biggest failings in life has been getting too drunk near Crock infested rivers lol.
I've tried to feed my self to them once or twice it works well not to drink alone...:rolleyes:

Lions can swim
And in Botswana and Uganda they can climb trees ;)
I'm more scared of crocs than most other animals as they are totally unpredictable :(
And snakes, and baboons.

I ended up in Africa for work. Worked in India for 1 year, then got job offer in Uganda and from there I forgot to go back :D

I'm big fan of Thailand, which is right next door to China so not far to go from there :)

Thai craft beer is really in it's infancy - underground in many cases - because there's a very effective functioning monopoly with Chang and Singha brewing families having a real big say in who drinks what.

We made a real effort to find local beers last time out, April this year, and it's really slim pickings. I did make some nice contacts though and very weirdly found the owner of the Underdog brewery on holiday in the UK no more than an hour away from my home so we were able to catch up and I sent him away with some samples.

As with everywhere pretty much, the influences are going to be US NEIPA and West Coast styles (plus some English influences from my new buddy at Underdog).

Currently, home brewing is actually illegal and the laws around small brewers quite complex and onerous but there's change in the wind and it will be fascinating to watch the whole scene develop.

An interesting question by the way, I find different cultures and their relationship with beer always informative.

Back