kveik voss & hallertau blanc

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I went through my selection of hops and it looks (to me) like kveik voss would go well with Hallertau Blanc.

Would a smash beer like that work?
Lager malt
Kveik Voss
Hallertau Blanc

ABV around 5% ?
BU/GU 0.3 ?
Hop additions at 60 minutes and 5 minutes?
I prefer my beer not too bitter

60 minute mash at 65 oC?

Comments please as I am not too sure what I am doing ;)

Como piensa fermentar a que temperatura?

I went through my selection of hops and it looks (to me) like kveik voss would go well with Hallertau Blanc.

Lager malt
Kveik Voss
Hallertau Blanc

ABV around 5% ?
BU/GU 0.3 ?

60 minute mash at 65 oC?

I think that would work. Give it a go, and let us know what you get.

Lo bueno de voss es la claridad
4 dias a 3C
20220414_124332.jpg

Lager malt
Kveik Voss
Hallertau Blanc

ABV around 5% ?
BU/GU 0.3 ?

60 minute mash at 65 oC?

There won't be a lot of malt flavor to cover up the kveik esters, but I agree it looks like a fine beer! I would also opt for a bigger late boil hop addition to create additional aroma/flavor. Instead of a 5 minute addition have you considered adding them at flameout and doing a 15-20 minute hop stand? More of the volatile hop compounds that contribute to aroma will survive fermentation and make it into your drinking glass

Yup I'd throw 400g of Munich in for some malt support and to add some sweetness to ballance the kviek bite/bitterness.

I don't have Munich, only
Aroma, Crystel & Cara malt
And Maris otter and wheat.
Should I use any of those in combination with the lager malt?

I'll change the 5 minute addition to flame-out. Does that really make such a difference?

As a rough idea: 60-70% of the ibu's at 60 minutes and the remainder at 5 minutes or flame out? Or both?

Como piensa fermentar a que temperatura?
I think you are asking about fermentation temperature?

It will be around 27 oC, give or take.
Depends on the weather as it will be without active heating or cooling. A bit low for kveik voss, but worth a try

I think you need to ask yourself what you want to achieve from this beer

Seeing what haulertau Blanc tastes like when doing a smash with kviek I'm imagining some white wine notes and a dryish beer with a citrus twist.
Than maybe smash is perfect even adding some cane sugar to make it a bit thin and snappy? Your call.

Um 5 minutes or flame out Na not much difference just a couple ibus.

Last edited:
I'm with Don, go light on the bitter dose then double up on the aroma and Hallertau is gonna be good in my book...whatdaaya call that in Africa....a savanna mower?

Es cierto la cerveza normalmente llega 1005-1007 con 27C evitaras el barrido de aromas de la cerveza debiera ser bastante aromática a cítricos y como dicen seca.
Con respecto al agregado de azucar creo que solo seguira aumentando %ABV posiblemente pudiera agregar un poco de lactosa.
Recuerde que es una variedad de levadura muy activa incluso a 2,5 bares podría romper sus botellas.

@Viejos Cañones
Could you post an English translation with your posts, please?

@Trialben
I just want an easy drinking beer ;)
But still got lots to learn about how to ger there

I'm going to plug some figures into brewfather. Just gotta figure out what sort of style to aim for...

I'll get there with the help of my real and imaginary friends ;)

It is true that beer normally arrives 1005-1007 with 27C avoiding the sweeping of aromas of beer should be quite aromatic to citrus and as they say dry.
With regard to the addition of sugar I think that only continued to increase %ABV possibly could add a little lactose.
Remember that it is a very active yeast variety even at 2.5 bars could break your bottles.

Thanks!
I have been using kveik voss for most of my brews.
Mostly the FG has been around 1010-1012.
We'll see what this one ends up with ;)

If the fermentation temperature is 28C or less even 20 the fermentation does not stop but it is no longer as tumultuous as at 32C and that is why possibly its final density is more normal.
With respect to the addition of lactose, which is a non-fermentable sugar and this will soften giving a little unctuousness to the palate. Aggregate ratio between 2% and 5%. Go ahead and tell us how it went.
Best regards

Back