Rye IPA

BrainYYC

Trial Member
Reaction score
Figured I would ask for a little feedback a earlier in my process this time. Making a Rye IPA based off a recipe from 4G’s. Couple of questions, you think I have enough rice hulls in there? Worried about the flaked stuff turning to sticky porridge. Also the original recipe called for a dry hop addition at day four, I’ve been trying to dry hop just at the tail end of active fermentation, can I hear some plus and minus’ of either option from some of the pros on the forum!
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1234199/rye-pa-

As a BIAB’er I have no experience with rice hulls, but as far as the hop schedule goes, I like it. There are a gazillion ways to dry hop and everyone has their own opinion (I like to dry-hop in the keg at packaging) but if this is your first go at this recipe, why not just follow it to the letter and have a baseline for next time? I’m sure it will be great.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Yeah, 200g for a 10l batch (under 3 kg total) is plenty. But don't be afraid to give it a bit of a stir after 20-30 minutes.

The dry hop could certainly be done according to your schedule. Many fermentations are just finishing at 4 days, so it is just a guideline.

My 2 cents, ymmv

@BrainYYC maybe I’m mistaken, but I thought you were a BIAB brewer. If you are, then rice hulls shouldn’t be necessary. If not, then carry on. Anyway, you’re going for a hoppy beer.

@BrainYYC maybe I’m mistaken, but I thought you were a BIAB brewer. If you are, then rice hulls shouldn’t be necessary. If not, then carry on. Anyway, you’re going for a hoppy beer.

Yes Herm you are correct sir on the BIAB, and I’ve been putting some hulls in any of my mash’s with lots of flaked stuff, is it not necessary!? I just find it keeps it a little looser in the kettle which makes me feel like I’ll get better extraction.

This turned out fantastic, thanks all for the input. I’m going to do something I never do which is make it again back to back. Om nom nom nom
9D527019-4058-46FD-875B-EE280F8051E8.jpeg

I have been using rice hulls for years for biab. Maybe because I recirc continually, but they help alot!

Did you go with the 6 different hops from the first recipe or did take Denny's ....pragmatic route of just 2?

She's fully hopped, recipe is exactly as brewed, hop schedule was "heavily influenced" from 4G’s Rye IPA, a recipe that took first place / 2016 Battle of the Brews held at Witch's Hat Brewery in South Lyon, Michigan.

Back