Nut brown ale: The Touch of a Hand

Dogwood

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to brew a nut brown. Looking to get malty beer with good presence of nut flavor. I looked at many recipes and this is what I came up with. Going to be a 15 gal batch! recipe as follows:

The Touch of a Hand
27 lb 2 row
1.5lb cara brown
18 oz crystal 40l
24 oz victory
12 oz chocolate 350l
12 oz special b
8 oz black patent
4 oz tettinanger at boil for 22 ibu

Thanks much for the advice

Seems a bit complex for me to really wrap my head around. Malty, for sure. I'm assuming the CaraBrown and Victory are where you hope to drive that Nut flavor forward??

Unrelated, but I remember looking into a Nut Brown Ale recipe a while ago and stumbled on this post at the Barclay Perkins blog. His take is that the name Nut Brown Ale derived not from any "nutty" flavors, but from a Christmas Carol. Pretty funny.
Shut up about Barclay Perkins: Provincial Brown Ale before WW II

I never did brew a "Nut" Brown Ale, though I remember at the time thinking that toasting some of the Maris Otter might give me some of that nuttiness. I couldn't ever decide how much to toast, how long to toast it, at what temperature...so I shelved the idea when my head started hurting. :)

Good luck!

Seems a bit complex for me to really wrap my head around. Malty, for sure. I'm assuming the CaraBrown and Victory are where you hope to drive that Nut flavor forward??

Unrelated, but I remember looking into a Nut Brown Ale recipe a while ago and stumbled on this post at the Barclay Perkins blog. His take is that the name Nut Brown Ale derived not from any "nutty" flavors, but from a Christmas Carol. Pretty funny.
Shut up about Barclay Perkins: Provincial Brown Ale before WW II

I never did brew a "Nut" Brown Ale, though I remember at the time thinking that toasting some of the Maris Otter might give me some of that nuttiness. I couldn't ever decide how much to toast, how long to toast it, at what temperature...so I shelved the idea when my head started hurting. :)

Good luck!

Yes, most nut browns I have had taste like a regular beer. A few have had a very pronounced nut flavor, very nice! The victory and special B are supposed to give the flavors I am looking for? Maybe toast some 2row? I have done this once and other than make the house smell great, did add a very nice flavor to the beer! Maris otter does have some great flavor but I dont have access close by so figuring what i can use from what I have on hand. Thanks for the response.

Waaay too much going on there...
Keep the chocolate at about 2-3% and the Victory at between 5 and 8%, throw in 5-10% dark Munich and add in around 1% black patent to boost the color. None of the other ingredients is going to help you with any sort of nuttiness and are just adding random flavors and sweetness. Mash relatively low to keep a clean finish - that'll help with the perception of toasty-nutty flavors by not allowing sweet malty notes to take over.

I personally prefer maris otter to 2-row for brown ales, especially for that "brown" flavor. If I were brewing it I'd use all 27 pounds, but you might prefer some moderation, so maybe half or more??

Waaay too much going on there...
Keep the chocolate at about 2-3% and the Victory at between 5 and 8%, throw in 5-10% dark Munich and add in around 1% black patent to boost the color. None of the other ingredients is going to help you with any sort of nuttiness and are just adding random flavors and sweetness. Mash relatively low to keep a clean finish - that'll help with the perception of toasty-nutty flavors by not allowing sweet malty notes to take over.
Thanks for the thoughts! This is a 15 gal batch and the recipe is an award winning one from over in Europe somewhere. Had to change some of the grain as I dont have access to the grains in the recipe, but did a grain comparison and came up with what I can get.

Looking to brew a nut brown. Looking to get malty beer with good presence of nut flavor. I looked at many recipes and this is what I came up with. Going to be a 15 gal batch! recipe as follows:

The Touch of a Hand
27 lb 2 row
1.5lb cara brown
18 oz crystal 40l
24 oz victory
12 oz chocolate 350l
12 oz special b
8 oz black patent
4 oz tettinanger at boil for 22 ibu

Thanks much for the advice
polished concrete boston
Your recipe for a nut brown ale looks quite promising! The malt bill you've chosen should provide a good base for a malty beer with a pronounced nut flavor. Here are a few thoughts on your recipe:

• The choice of 2-row as your base malt is a solid one, as it will contribute a clean malt profile without adding too much flavor of its own.
  • Cara brown and crystal 40L will add sweetness, body, and caramel flavors to the beer. They will help enhance the maltiness and provide some complexity.
  • Victory malt is known for its toasty and biscuity flavors, which will contribute to the overall nuttiness of the beer.
  • Chocolate malt, special B, and black patent will add darker, roasted flavors and some hints of chocolate and coffee. They can contribute to the complexity and depth of the beer, but be cautious not to overdo them, as they can easily overpower the nut flavors.
  • Tettanger hops are a good choice for adding some bitterness and a touch of herbal and floral aroma to balance the malt sweetness.
Overall, your recipe seems well-balanced and should result in a tasty nut brown ale. Just make sure to pay attention to your brewing process, fermentation temperature, and yeast selection to achieve the desired flavors and characteristics.

Happy brewing, and enjoy your batch of nut brown ale!

Your recipe for a nut brown ale looks quite promising! The malt bill you've chosen should provide a good base for a malty beer with a pronounced nut flavor. Here are a few thoughts on your recipe:

• The choice of 2-row as your base malt is a solid one, as it will contribute a clean malt profile without adding too much flavor of its own.
  • Cara brown and crystal 40L will add sweetness, body, and caramel flavors to the beer. They will help enhance the maltiness and provide some complexity.
  • Victory malt is known for its toasty and biscuity flavors, which will contribute to the overall nuttiness of the beer.
  • Chocolate malt, special B, and black patent will add darker, roasted flavors and some hints of chocolate and coffee. They can contribute to the complexity and depth of the beer, but be cautious not to overdo them, as they can easily overpower the nut flavors.
  • Tettanger hops are a good choice for adding some bitterness and a touch of herbal and floral aroma to balance the malt sweetness.
Overall, your recipe seems well-balanced and should result in a tasty nut brown ale. Just make sure to pay attention to your brewing process, fermentation temperature, and yeast selection to achieve the desired flavors and characteristics.

Happy brewing, and enjoy your batch of nut brown ale!
Miaamelia, your posts are always clear, comprehensive, informative and positive!

I wonder about you? Tell us please. What do you brew, drink, and do? I truly am interested, as your posts are great!

Miaamelia, your posts are always clear, comprehensive, informative and positive!

I wonder about you? Tell us please. What do you brew, drink, and do? I truly am interested, as your posts are great!
Sorta like Tits on a Bull Don - Ya Ain't Gunna Get No Milk Man!:p

I think British pale and biscuit malt make nutty. American 2-row and 10% Victory is closer to just British pale malt.

Back