Almost Bohemian...

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Been reserching traditional Czech brewing methods, hoping to brew a really great Czech Lager, the main idea being to get the very most I possibly can out of only 4 ingrediants. Now as far as how I chose the ingrediants, well Saaz of course for Czech beer. Czech yeast strain, and Pilsner malt(ok, went with US malt...I've got 40 pounds of it on hand).

Will undoubtedly be a long brew day, if I manage to stick the landing though...

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1248894/almost-bohemian

Been reserching traditional Czech brewing methods, hoping to brew a really great Czech Lager, the main idea being to get the very most I possibly can out of only 4 ingrediants. Now as far as how I chose the ingrediants, well Saaz of course for Czech beer. Czech yeast strain, and Pilsner malt(ok, went with US malt...I've got 40 pounds of it on hand).

Will undoubtedly be a long brew day, if I manage to stick the landing though...

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1248894/almost-bohemian
What's the 4th ingredient? :)

All I would have done differently is a fifth ingredient, some melanoidin. I've started using it again, must have gotten some really old stuff when I formed my ballpoint pen ink opinion, or used it with oxidized LME. Unless you're using a decoction or two to build color and flavor. But this beer is procedurally driven far more than by the recipe. Good luck with it! Done right, Bohemian beers are things of beauty.

All I would have done differently is a fifth ingredient, some melanoidin. I've started using it again, must have gotten some really old stuff when I formed my ballpoint pen ink opinion, or used it with oxidized LME. Unless you're using a decoction or two to build color and flavor. But this beer is procedurally driven far more than by the recipe. Good luck with it! Done right, Bohemian beers are things of beauty.
Yes, this will be a double decoction mash(I am going to cheat with a heated mash tun to ensure I hit the target temps though).

Yes, this will be a double decoction mash(I am going to cheat with a heated mash tun to ensure I hit the target temps though).
I've done a decoction or two bulin just make sure the BBQ has something cooking it's a long but rewarding experience.
Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Looks good, am interested to hear how it goes. Wondering if the 90 minute boil is really needed is my only question.

Looks good, am interested to hear how it goes. Wondering if the 90 minute boil is really needed is my only question.
Probably not, but if I'm going to do the full double decoction mash, might as well go "all in"...Budvar boils for 90 minutes, Urquell for 2 hours.

@Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews you list your fermentation temperature at 66F, while the yeast’s optimum is 50-55F. And you will be making a really big starter to get the necessary 416 billion cells, right?
Do you expect any adverse effects from that temperature divergence?

@Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews you list your fermentation temperature at 66F, while the yeast’s optimum is 50-55F. And you will be making a really big starter to get the necessary 416 billion cells, right?
Do you expect any adverse effects from that temperature divergence?
Forgot to edit the temp, will be fermenting at 55, however, I've read on Brulosophy that WLP800 is fairly forgiving up into the mid 60s.

Will be doing a 2 quart starter on Thursday, brewing on Saturday.

Probably should do a one quart tonight, then step it up two quarts on Thursday...will get me a lot closer. Luckily I picked up 4 cans of "propper starter" today...will start canning some 2nd runnings one of these brews for starters.

Back