whear beer

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I don't have a complete recipe yet.
Recently made a 67% wheat beer and it is nice, but a bit one-dimensional.
(2/3 wheat, 1/3 maris otter, Saaz at 30 min, ibu 10)
Maybe it gets better with time.
I do have wheat that need finishing, so looking at the same (proporion wise) or a 100% wheat, using a little more hop
I want to add a little coriander and some dried kaffir lime zest (got no oranges) at flame out. Maybe a little honey.
Yeast is Kveik Voss. Its currently the only option
What do you all think?

Sorry for typing mistake in the title. I can't change it anymore.
It's obviously went to spell "wheat beer"

I've never made a wheat beer with more wheat than barley. I have a 50/50 recipe and another with 60% two row and 40% wheat (Or whear as some folks like to call it ;-) )

I forget what your malt options are Zambezi, but I agree with Steve that crystal malt will get you a more complex flavor. The citrus zest and spice will certainly change the flavor, but your base flavors will still be the same "one dimension" as last time. Nothing too dark, or the fig/dried fruits will probably conflict with the Voss esters.

I don't have a complete recipe yet.
Recently made a 67% wheat beer and it is nice, but a bit one-dimensional.
(2/3 wheat, 1/3 maris otter, Saaz at 30 min, ibu 10)
Maybe it gets better with time.
I do have wheat that need finishing, so looking at the same (proporion wise) or a 100% wheat, using a little more hop
I want to add a little coriander and some dried kaffir lime zest (got no oranges) at flame out. Maybe a little honey.
Yeast is Kveik Voss. Its currently the only option
What do you all think?
I would imagine what you're describing to be an American-style wheat. Yes, they are a bit one-dimensional. I like German wheat beers and Belgian Wits, American wheats fermented with neutral yeast rely on hops for most of their character. Coriander is best boiled, the lime zest might give you a bit more complexity. Maybe some fruit to jazz it up a bit?

Thanks
Yes, this was an American wheat and I am apparently not used to those.
Maybe I expected it to be more like a weizen or witbier.
I got some caramalt 40?
Should I add something like 5%?
Or go with original idea with some zest and coriander?
Honey maybe?
As an aside, the honey I have is called "Zambezi gold" apparently a local honey made by wild bees.

The honey will liten the body a bit maybe that might be a good thing with this heat to make it more thirst quenching. Pity you didn't have some Munich malt I'd go this to up the malt flavour.
Your adding kafir lime yes? Id boil this last 10 with the coriander I'm imagining zesty limes for a kafir and the coriander will go with this for sure.
I wouldn't crowd out the malt bill too much maybe 60:40 wheat Pale malt. And or add your 5% crystal 40 or Munich malt.

I made a lemaongrass wheat beer years ago that was a little underwhelming it had honey in it too.
Here it tis https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/425369/lemongrass-wheat
Funny thing it's my most viewed beer recipie lol :p
Fancy name maybe...

I tend to use honey malt (sparingly) in wheat beer. The honey flavor stays rather than get fermented away. Probably hard to find in Southern Africa. The Canadians are the only ones I know who make it.

Thanks
Yes, this was an American wheat and I am apparently not used to those.
Maybe I expected it to be more like a weizen or witbier.
I got some caramalt 40?
Should I add something like 5%?
Or go with original idea with some zest and coriander?
Honey maybe?
As an aside, the honey I have is called "Zambezi gold" apparently a local honey made by wild bees.
I'd go with the zest and coriander, that will get you closer to a Witbier. Honey might add something but unless it's very intensely flavored and the beer very mild, it's just expensive simple sugar. If you add it, be sure to pasteurize it: Cut it with an equal volume of water and heat it to 70 to 75 degrees Celsius and hold for a half hour ot so. Then, when cooled, add it to your fermentor.

I had this random thought: I can make lots of different batches whear :))) beer.
First one up:
more or less same as I have done.
Little more grain, same ratio.
And with added coriander and lime peel.
Do I boil these? Or add at flame out and remove after 15 minutes?
And amount?
I checked a witbier recipe in "how to brew" and he uses 50 gr orange peel and 15 coriander for 19 litres (5 gallon)
That looks very high to me.
I was thinking of 3.5 gr peel and 1 gr crushed coriander (on 19 litre) and boil for 15 minutes?

Depending on this coming brew, next one will be 100% wheat (yes, I really want to try), with or without spices, maybe some sugar added, maybe change of hop

Thanks Ben
I just found another list of herbs/spices and amounts. Just looks like the writers don't really agree on amounts, but both give much higher max amounts than I was looking at.
I normally dump everything from the pot into the fermenter. Would this still be OK?
I assume all will settle out with the yeast & hop etc?

I had this random thought: I can make lots of different batches whear :))) beer.
First one up:
more or less same as I have done.
Little more grain, same ratio.
And with added coriander and lime peel.
Do I boil these? Or add at flame out and remove after 15 minutes?
And amount?
I checked a witbier recipe in "how to brew" and he uses 50 gr orange peel and 15 coriander for 19 litres (5 gallon)
That looks very high to me.
I was thinking of 3.5 gr peel and 1 gr crushed coriander (on 19 litre) and boil for 15 minutes?

Depending on this coming brew, next one will be 100% wheat (yes, I really wvoriant to try), with or without spices, maybe some sugar added, maybe change of hop
Coriander, crush and boil 10 - 15 mins. Zest at flameout. The numbers for the 5 gallon batch look right if it's fresh zest. Dried zest would be in the 15 g range.

If you go with 100 percent wheat, use something to keep the mash loose, otherwise you're trying to lauter cream of wheat. Rice hulls are your friend...

Coriander, crush and boil 10 - 15 mins. Zest at flameout. The numbers for the 5 gallon batch look right if it's fresh zest. Dried zest would be in the 15 g range.
I can imagine a big difference between fresh and dried zest. I'll be using dried.

I can imagine a big difference between fresh and dried zest. I'll be using dried.
Well the dried will be less weight than the fresh zested kaffir rind.

I've yet to use any kafir limes In my HBing yet but I will the one in my back yards got a fair bit of wrinkly fruit on it. (That's how the skin looks on these things)
I'm interested in seeing what your zest addition brings in your wheat beer Zambezi.
Have you settled on a recipie yet?

If I were gunna go this zest I'd brew it on my ginger ninger grist and as in your case just upping the wheat addition but keeping that Munich which i feel is needed to provide the malt body to compliment the spice or in your case the zestyness (that's a word right)?
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/828285/ginger-ninger
Along with that saison yeast but I think Voss will be complimenting your citrus thing.

Last edited:
Brewing at the moment.
I'm keeping pretty much to the same recipe aa before, just a little more grain.
Addition of kaffir lime peel and coriander. Small amount as it should complement the beer. Not taste like it.
Just pounded them and it does smell very nice ;)
No caramalt in this batch. That will be next.
I need to get rid of my weevilly wheat, so may as well play with it :p

OK
Things are not going like they should.
Gravity after mash is 1024 instead of 1048.
Mash temp was 66, previous times 67 oC, but that can't have such an impact.
For now, I blame the weevils!
My recipe has 450 gr maris otter pale ale and 900 malted wheat.
I need to change the wheat to 200 gr (in the recipe) to get to my OG.
Grains do not taste sweet. Same milling as for previous brews.
For now:
I'll boil longer
And I will add sugar so I get at least some little alcohol. Sugar will go in towards end of the boil. I know it might be better after krausen, but I don't want to open the fermenter as it already looks that what can go wrong, will go wrong

Back