Recipe to try nugget hops

Steve Ruch

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I brewed this six days ago and took a gravity reading today. I'm not sure how much I like the nugget hops. I have to bottle in a few days and try it carbed.
I didn't get the long lag time that some people get with this yeast. I had foam forming 12 hours after pitching.
Screenshot_20211010-104216.png

For my preference, Nugget works best in a fairly big, malty beer. I use it in a northwest-style American Amber where the piney, resin-y, spicy character can really shine without overpowering the palate or getting too bitter for the malt.

For my preference, Nugget works best in a fairly big, malty beer. I use it in a northwest-style American Amber where the piney, resin-y, spicy character can really shine without overpowering the palate or getting too bitter for the malt.
I used it in this beer so the nugget hops would be upfront and I could get an idea of what they're like.

I used it in this beer so the nugget hops would be upfront and I could get an idea of what they're like.
In a short-boil extract brew, you'll get a good balance of hop flavor vs bittering character. If you use it in a full-boil beer, you might notice some slight harshness if the 60 minute addition is accounting for a high percentage of the IBUs.
Good luck with it. :)

I brewed this six days ago and took a gravity reading today. I'm not sure how much I like the nugget hops. I have to bottle in a few days and try it carbed.
I didn't get the long lag time that some people get with this yeast. I had foam forming 12 hours after pitching.View attachment 17731
I’ve used it a lot and never had a long lag time with BRY-97 (whole packs in 3 gallons).

I’ve used it a lot and never had a long lag time with BRY-97 (whole packs in 3 gallons).
That's my normal ratio. I did have a somewhat long lag time the last brew I used it on, but not this one. Although the wort temperature was higher on my latest one.

You getting that dank resinous thing JA was on about.
I've not used nugget btw that's why I was asking;)
I'm satisfied with how this batch turned out, but will be using a different hop in my next pale ale and the remainder of the nugget hops will most likely go into a stout.

Back