Bottling from Primary

Megary

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I don’t like to bottle. But in about 10 days I have to.

So I want to make it as simple as I possibly can.

My primary FV has a spigot on the bottom. When it’s time to bottle, my plan is to add a carbonation drop into each (already cleaned and sanitized) bottle, open the spigot and fill the bottle, close the valve, place cap on bottle, repeat. When done, cap each bottle. No transfer, no sugar solution, no bottling bucket, no bottling wand and racking cane…

Why does it have to be more complicated than this?

If there is a concern that the bottle should be filled from bottom up, I can attach a short piece of hose to the valve.

You probably want to sanitize the outer part of the valve. If you attach your tube to the valve, turn the valve upside down, and fill the tube with sanitizer, this should be easy.

When I used bottles, I used a bottling cane, a tube like a racking cane with a spring valve at the bottom. I just pushed down until the bottle was full, and moved to the next.

It definitely doesn't need to be anymore complicated than you want it to be :) I started bottling from primary a few months ago to eliminate introducing oxygen during racking. I thought the bottling wand was worthwhile because it was easier to stop flow than opening/closing the valve for me, and again for reducing oxygen during transfer. I agree with sanitizing the inside of the valve/spigot for insurance. But you do you @Megary!

I can attach a short piece of hose to the valve.

That'll get you a 2-fer Megary! Less O2 exposure and uniform air space in each bottle! I bottle all the time and yeah it's tedious but I think of it as portion control. Get more bombers and rationalize that you aren't even having 2 bottles!

So I want to make it as simple as I possibly can.

My primary FV has a spigot on the bottom. When it’s time to bottle, my plan is to add a carbonation drop into each (already cleaned and sanitized) bottle, open the spigot and fill the bottle, close the valve, place cap on bottle, repeat. When done, cap each bottle. No transfer, no sugar solution, no bottling bucket, no bottling wand and racking cane…

If there is a concern that the bottle should be filled from bottom up, I can attach a short piece of hose to the valve.
I have done it this way many times - ie. from the primary with carbonation drops. I have only bottled without a bottling wand 2-3 times and hate doing it that way! The wand makes things SO much less complicated! lol - If you are near a homebrew store then I definitely recommend grabbing one.

I do recommend filling from the bottom regardless if with wand or simply a tube. And +1 on sanitizing the spigot.

I do it the way you say when I have extra that will not fit in a keg. Not had an oxidation issue yet. I use table sugar in each. Wand is easier and less oxidation chance though and if I’m doing a entire batch I use a wand.

I do this with my primitive ciders ;)
Only I use table sugar instead of carbonation drops.

Good stuff everyone. Thanks.

Yes, the spigot will definitely be sanitized first, that’s a given.

And I have a bottling wand, I just don’t want to use it. :)

I suppose I’ll try with a short piece of hose and the valve first. If that becomes a pain, I’ll add the wand. But I just can’t see how the valve will be difficult…unless I’m missing something obvious. I’m probably looking at about 20 bottles tops so I’ll slog through however.

Don't forget the tip they gave me, do it over the dishwasher with the door open
Saves a big mess.
That's the way I used to do it with the bottling bucket, racking cane, hose, wand etc. Sitting on the floor! :eek:

My new plan is to do it with the spout and short piece of hose, over the bar sink, sitting comfortably on a bar stool.

My new bottling procedure is to transfer to a purged keg.
I add the priming sugar to a Co2 purged keg before transfer, and just enough pressure for flow.
The plastic bottling wand was getting on my nerves as it leaked, so I bought a stainless unit with an oring seal.
Q2 recipe was my first full batch bottling event, it was much easier, and less messy than the bottling bucket.

I have however seen someone attach a bottling wand directly the fermenter spigot.
This would require carb drops, or a real careful stir to mix priming sugar in the fermenter, but could be the simplest of all methods.

20210430_151141.jpg

My new bottling procedure is to transfer to a purged keg.
I add the priming sugar to a Co2 purged keg before transfer, and just enough pressure for flow.
The plastic bottling wand was getting on my nerves as it leaked, so I bought a stainless unit with an oring seal.
Q2 recipe was my first full batch bottling event, it was much easier, and less messy than the bottling bucket.

I have however seen someone attach a bottling wand directly the fermenter spigot.
This would require carb drops, or a real careful stir to mix priming sugar in the fermenter, but could be the simplest of all methods.

View attachment 16275
Very nice set up there - it's way out of my league! - but a great idea.

A few days ago I tried the bottling wand right into the Speidel spigot, but the fit was no where near snug enough. I could probably find an o-ring to make it work, but I'm hoping the hose idea will be good enough.

Very nice set up there - it's way out of my league! - but a great idea.

A few days ago I tried the bottling wand right into the Speidel spigot, but the fit was no where near snug enough. I could probably find an o-ring to make it work, but I'm hoping the hose idea will be good enough.
When I was using the spigot I had a few cm of thick vinyl tubing that connected the spigot to the wand. That was very simple and convenient. So of course I over-engineered it for the next batch and haven't used that approach since.

I advocate for the use of a bottling wand. It is just so much easier than turning the spigot on and off for 20 +/- bottles, and it leaves the perfect headspace in each bottle. However, the Speidel fermenter spigot requires 1/2 inch (o.d.) tubing, which is too big for my bottling wand. If I was to bottle directly from my Speidel using a wand, it would require a reducing coupler and a section of 3/8 inch (o.d.) tubing to fit the wand. But I’ll continue my practice of using a bottling bucket in which the priming solution is mixed with the beer.

It doesn't. Secondary is overrated, even unnecessary, for starters.

I'd use a sacrificial pint glass at first to make sure the trub is settled and you won't have any ugly bottles.

Back