Ability to split batch!

Blackmuse

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So, I just started making 10 gallon batches, using two fermenters and then using two different yeasts to ferment. Is there a way we could have a recipe able to be split after the boil - This would allow us to keep track of both 5 gallon batches after they hit the fermenter.

Make sense? Has this already been requested? Can it already be done?

Thanks!

The feature exists in the PRO membership and is supported via the "tank" log entries.

upload_2021-6-15_18-1-35.png

The feature exists in the PRO membership and is supported via the "tank" log entries.

View attachment 16229
I have a Lifetime Membership - does that count?
When I click on the Split Batch tab it tells me I don't have any "tanks" and to use the EDIT tab to create tanks but the edit tab doesn't offer anything related to "tank".... How do I go about this? - Once I figure it out I should make a video! lol

It appears I had to create a "group/brewery" to create "tanks".... I did so. However, I still do not get the option to add a tank anywhere. What am I missing? I'll dig around for some more instructions...

It appears I had to create a "group/brewery" to create "tanks".... I did so. However, I still do not get the option to add a tank anywhere. What am I missing? I'll dig around for some more instructions...

I never use this feature, so I sent a note to our pro sales guy @Nkauffman to see if he can help out. I know I should play around with it (it's well liked by our Pros!) but I just haven't had a chance.

Lifetime membership has all of the Pro features, so you are good to go! Your group is now activated and you can set up tanks. Go to the groups page (https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/mygroups) and click 'Add a Tank'. From there you have options for different tank types.
When you start a brew session by clicking 'Brew' on a recipe, you will then see the option to select tanks to apply the brew session. You can split the batch by selecting multiple tanks. When you go back to the group, you will see the sessions displayed on each tank you selected! Let me know if you have any questions!

Lifetime membership has all of the Pro features, so you are good to go! Your group is now activated and you can set up tanks. Go to the groups page (https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/mygroups) and click 'Add a Tank'. From there you have options for different tank types.
When you start a brew session by clicking 'Brew' on a recipe, you will then see the option to select tanks to apply the brew session. You can split the batch by selecting multiple tanks. When you go back to the group, you will see the sessions displayed on each tank you selected! Let me know if you have any questions!
Awesome! I will give this a try as soon as I can - might not be until Monday but I'm excited to try it out! Thanks

@Nkauffman
Is there anyway to split the batch after the fact? I brewed last weekend and split the batch and would like it to show it now... Do I have to use the "rebuild brew" button under the edit tab of the brew session?
upload_2021-6-21_3-38-0.png

If you go to the edit tab, it should show 'Assign Tanks' just above 'Rebuild Steps'. Have you added tanks to your group? @Blackmuse

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 7.39.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 7.39.42 AM.png
    671.4 KB · Views: 67
If you go to the edit tab, it should show 'Assign Tanks' just above 'Rebuild Steps'. Have you added tanks to your group? @Blackmuse
This is what I can't understand! I have added tanks to the group yet I get nothing in the edit area... Frustrating. I'll snap a few screen shots and poke around for what in the world I might be missing.

Here are my tanks - the red ines have something in it so are "dirty" but I haven't figured out how to actually show what's in it due to the inability to do so with beers I've already brewed.

For that matter, how might I assign a tank when I do my next brew?

Here are my tanks - the red ines have something in it so are "dirty" but I haven't figured out how to actually show what's in it due to the inability to do so with beers I've already brewed.

For that matter, how might I assign a tank when I do my next brew?

You have to move the recipe to the Group where the tanks are…then you can assign them during the “brew day”

This took me about an hour to figure out last night LoL

@Sammy86 @Blackmuse Ahh yes. The Author: Group or Source on the recipe builder needs to have the correct group selected to assign it to a tank. Just open your recipe and change the Author to the group that has your tanks in it. You will then be able to see 'Assign Tanks' under the edit tab. I am adding a pdf here that helps Pro members set up their accounts, but please let me know if you have any other questions!

Cheers!

Attachments

• Welcome to Brewer's Friend.pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 88
@Sammy86 @Blackmuse Ahh yes. The Author: Group or Source on the recipe builder needs to have the correct group selected to assign it to a tank. Just open your recipe and change the Author to the group that has your tanks in it. You will then be able to see 'Assign Tanks' under the edit tab. I am adding a pdf here that helps Pro members set up their accounts, but please let me know if you have any other questions!

Cheers!

Awesome, thanks!

You have to move the recipe to the Group where the tanks are…then you can assign them during the “brew day”

This took me about an hour to figure out last night LoL
I edited my recipe's "author/group" and WHAM! - The ability to split batch appeared! Thanks a ton! Now I'll have to make some time to play around with it and see how to change yeast types etc. Thanks a ton!

No problem! I’m currently using it now for a split batch of Farmhouse Ale and 34/70 lager yeast. Getting ready to check gravity tomorrow and start cold crashing/finning.

I have a Lifetime Membership - does that count?

How does one get a Lifetime Membership? Are they still available?

I think I got lucky once trying my darndest to find a price for Pro. It was far out of my range, and certainly not doable for even an active homebrew schedule. But if the Lifetime is reasonable I might plop down for it. Especially if I can split batches as I do hopping and yeast experiments with nearly every batch I brew and it is a pain to make 'faux' snapshots for each one. The process described above seems a bit convoluted at first, but I'm willing to work with it if I can track my fermenters separately.

Back