Road trip!

We are in Virginia!! Spending a few nights at the future in-laws' before we head out for our final destination. It'll be nice to have a little rest and respite after 6 days on the road!!

Here's the beautiful hills of Maryland and rural Northern Virginia
View attachment 16120 View attachment 16121
Arghhhhh watch out Annabrit! YOUR DRIVING ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD ARGHHHH:eek::eek:!

We are in Virginia!! Spending a few nights at the future in-laws' before we head out for our final destination. It'll be nice to have a little rest and respite after 6 days on the road!!

Here's the beautiful hills of Maryland and rural Northern Virginia
View attachment 16120 View attachment 16121
Beautiful rolling countryside! I bet it is pretty warm, and pretty humidity there! It has been touching 90F and very humid the last few days here in the great white north. The culprit apparently is hot humid air coming up from the Gulf of Mexico.

Glad to hear that you two landed and now have some time to unwind and relax!

Fun fact! As children, most Americans are taught a song with the line, "Give me a home where the buffalo roam, and the deer and the antelope play," and it's referencing the Wild West states in the U.S. But in reality, since we don't actually have buffalo or antelope (we have bison and pronghorn), the only place on Earth where that would occur is in Asia :D
We got buffalo and antelope as well ;)
And not the docile water buffalo....

We got buffalo and antelope as well ;)
And not the docile water buffalo....
Cape Buffalo are beautiful and terrifying, I worked with a herd of them at my previous job. One of the calves was trapped and the whole herd came running towards us everytime she vocalized :confused: I think I remember reading that Africa only has one endemic species of deer left, but they live up north in the Atlas Mountains where it's too rugged for buffalo to overlap. And I know the aoudad love it up there, but some people don't consider them a "true" antelope. We had a herd of them as well, super flighty but amazing climbers and the babies look like baby goats :)

Georgia has a left turn on red law.

You get a ticket if the police see you...
I guess I wasn't thinking about left on red from a one-way to a one-way to be fair

There are wild Nilgai in Texas. Sure they're non-native but it counts in the antelope department right?

There are wild Nilgai in Texas. Sure they're non-native but it counts in the antelope department right?
Texas and the Southwest have all kinds of non-native antelope herds; gemsbok, scimitar horned oryx, addax, etc.

I guess I wasn't thinking about left on red from a one-way to a one-way to be fair
The city of Hamilton, about 40 minutes from where I am has a downtown full of one way streets. It is actually unnerving to drive in the left hand lane and to make a left on a red there...
They do have a sweet set up with their traffic lights though.
Once you leave a green light, if you drive at the speed limit, the lights will all turn green as you come to them!
Sorry, way off topic!

Cape Buffalo are beautiful and terrifying, I worked with a herd of them at my previous job. One of the calves was trapped and the whole herd came running towards us everytime she vocalized :confused: I think I remember reading that Africa only has one endemic species of deer left, but they live up north in the Atlas Mountains where it's too rugged for buffalo to overlap. And I know the aoudad love it up there, but some people don't consider them a "true" antelope. We had a herd of them as well, super flighty but amazing climbers and the babies look like baby goats :)
What about impala, kudu, puku, hartebeest, sable, roan.....

That is a really cool looking trip there Annabrit. I'm jealous.

The city of Hamilton, about 40 minutes from where I am has a downtown full of one way streets. It is actually unnerving to drive in the left hand lane and to make a left on a red there...
They do have a sweet set up with their traffic lights though.
Once you leave a green light, if you drive at the speed limit, the lights will all turn green as you come to them!
Sorry, way off topic!
Pretty much all the streets in the downtown area of Cincinnati are one way, it's a real pain to navigate if you don't know them well. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Rochester doesn't has too many one ways too. I miss Buffalo which has few one ways and is designed on a radial system with a grid overlaid on it. Super easy to navigate but again off topic

Back