Road trip!

Well I bet land is cheap as fuck as well. I don't have any good pictures of the scenery after Nebraska. Iowa was more enjoyable to drive through, mostly because there were hills to break up the landscape. Here's a nice tree I stretched under at a rest stop in Iowa. Anyone know what kind of tree it is? My hardwood tree species identification is terrible
20210605_155530.jpg

Holly Molly :eek::eek::eek:! I never knew this.
What's extra frustrating is the vast majority of the food produced in this region goes to feeding livestock for consumption. Americans' obsession with red meat is one of the biggest contributions to our carbon footprint (as I write this I'm having brisket and pulled pork BBQ for dinner...I'm happy to wear a hypocrite hat if someone makes me one :D)

Hypocrite? You're eating hippo?
Cant tell the tree from the photo. Maybe a larch. Not oak, maple or a nut tree.

Well I bet land is cheap as fuck as well. I don't have any good pictures of the scenery after Nebraska. Iowa was more enjoyable to drive through, mostly because there were hills to break up the landscape. Here's a nice tree I stretched under at a rest stop in Iowa. Anyone know what kind of tree it is? My hardwood tree species identification is terrible
View attachment 16098
That is a big, beautiful shade tree.

View attachment 16098
A big one?:p

What's extra frustrating is the vast majority of the food produced in this region goes to feeding livestock for consumption. Americans' obsession with red meat is one of the biggest contributions to our carbon footprint (as I write this I'm having brisket and pulled pork BBQ for dinner...I'm happy to wear a hypocrite hat if someone makes me one :D)
It's a dream/goal of mine to be able to live almost entirely off of game meat but I just don't have that much time for hunting the last few years. But yeah at some point we're probably going to have to get comfortable with eating insects or just plant protein. I think the eventual solution has to be like Star Trek style protein resequencers/replicators

It's a dream/goal of mine to be able to live almost entirely off of game meat but I just don't have that much time for hunting the last few years. But yeah at some point we're probably going to have to get comfortable with eating insects or just plant protein. I think the eventual solution has to be like Star Trek style protein resequencers/replicators
I've seen lots of recipes for Brood X cicadas :) free food!

Like a coworker says "If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them so tasty!"

View attachment 16098

From the rough bark and almond shaped leaves it might be an Ash tree. Have to enjoy those while you can. The Emerald Ash Borer has destroyed most of the Ash trees in the northeast & mid-west US. We had to have our Ash tree taken down a couple years ago.

I never found this one funny, but it fits here...

I never found this one funny, but it fits here...

It was funny enough to keep us randomly quoting it in high school. And also "The bottom two-thirds of the nape of the neck" and "naughty bits"!

It was funny enough to keep us randomly quoting it in high school. And also "The bottom two-thirds of the nape of the neck" and "naughty bits"!

'E's passed on!
This parrot is no more!
He has ceased to be!
'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker!
'E's a stiff!
Bereft of life,
'e rests in peace!
If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies!
'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory!
'E's off the twig!
'E's kicked the bucket,
'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!!
THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

We are in Virginia!! Spending a few nights at the future in-laws' before we head out for our final destination. It'll be nice to have a little rest and respite after 6 days on the road!!

Here's the beautiful hills of Maryland and rural Northern Virginia
20210607_151211.jpg
20210607_164354.jpg

Back