What are you doing with homebrew today?

Looking for a suggestion about what to do with the yeast from the English Brown I just racked to the bottling bucket. It's obviously English Ale yeast, second generation from a Hobgoblin. This brew (McSorley's Black and Tan) is supposedly a porter. So, whatever I use it for, it's gonna need to be dark. Gonna harvest the slurry after I get done bottling.

Bottling dunkleweizen. Sample tastes great despite the low starting gravity. Has good balance, I worried if I used too much Carafa but it is fine. Got clove and a nice subtle hint of banana. At 3.86 ABV I think it's going to be a nice session beer. Who says dark beers can't be summer beers?

Bottling dunkleweizen. Sample tastes great despite the low starting gravity. Has good balance, I worried if I used too much Carafa but it is fine. Got clove and a nice subtle hint of banana. At 3.86 ABV I think it's going to be a nice session beer. Who says dark beers can't be summer beers?
Not me! A Dry Stout is one of my favorite summer beers!

Curious...what yeast did you use? I made a DW a few months ago with Munich Classic and I was rather unimpressed. And I’m a Lallemand yeast fan. Admittedly, I may have botched many aspects of the fermentation so I’m not ready to blame the yeast. :oops:

Even as a kid I had a thing for Joanne Lumley...
You and me both except mine was Dianna Rigg
upload_2021-6-6_21-0-59.png

Not me! A Dry Stout is one of my favorite summer beers!

Curious...what yeast did you use? I made a DW a few months ago with Munich Classic and I was rather unimpressed. And I’m a Lallemand yeast fan. Admittedly, I may have botched many aspects of the fermentation so I’m not ready to blame the yeast. :oops:
I used WY 3068. I've previously used WLP300 on a Hefeweizen that I didn't get the grain bill quite right on (it was an extract brew) and I still got a decent flavor profile from the yeast. Not sure which one I like better at this point. Not trying to be a liquid yeast snob, I have never had a problem with lallemand and I really love Nottingham but I'm a little weary of dry yeasts on something like a weizen that is so dependent on the yeast for it's characteristics. I've never used Munich though so I really don't know

Cleaned bottles, keg lines, fermenter and a corny today(Wayners blew when I tried to pour a glass last night). Moved Shore Leave to lagering, checked the gas on Shady Boh Light. Going to hold off on brewing more until I have more space. Once I keg the Shady Bohemian next week, I'll be at capacity for cold storage.

Time to increase consumption briefly. Friends can be helpful with this.
Trouble is I'll have around 30 gallons of beer conditioning...I've got like 18 bottles of Al's Pee for the next 4 weeks. I can MAYBE find room for some of the beer in the backup fridge and free up space for another corny.

Difficult problem. I regret to advise that you might need to resort to... commercial beer :eek:
I’m in that same boat right now. There are about 5 gallons (amber ale and IPA) in fermenters, but I have only a six pack of my own Fresh Squeezed IPA ready to drink. So commercial beer it is.

Looking for a suggestion about what to do with the yeast from the English Brown I just racked to the bottling bucket. .
Do another black and tan or a porter. I'm prepping up to use some kveik in the first recipe I ever brewed, a porter kit from Northern. Ought to be fun to see how more experience affects the brew!

Back