What are you doing with homebrew today?

Brewed a one gallon batch of Webster Chocolate Malted Milk Stout. With floor malted Pilsner, pale chocolate, roasted barley, black prince, midnight wheat, and roasted cocoa nibs in the mash, with more nibs and some lactose late in the boil. Midnight and prince were late additions in the mash to reduce bitterness. Low IBUs to emphasize sweetness. Will “dry bean” with vanilla in four days or so.

Small test batch boiled off lots more than anticipated, and had to boil three cups of water to add back into the fermenter to hit 1.058, and not 1.076. Amazing how things go astray when not dialed in.
TASTY Sounding Drink let us know how this one goes on its final transfer to the belly:).

Nice.

I started skimming the foam and the hot break has never boiled over since. Did not notice any other benefits or detriments.
Knock on wood - to this day, I have not had any boil overs. There were a couple close calls with my smaller 3-gallon kettle, but no worries with this kettle. Therefore, I will continue to let the foam rise and fall, as it does.

Probably transferring my ESB to a serving keg. Was going to do that a few days ago but gravity dropped a point and the pressure got a touch higher so I let it roll. I plan to brew to afternoon was too lazy today

Brewing another ESB right now since I was happy how the first pour tasted last night. When I opened my yeast slurry jar there was 3xtra fizz and it looked like something wasn’t right on top so I will be using Windsor instead of Imperial pub which supposed to be the Fullers strain

Labatt Blue? Seems to be what all the army/navy guys I know. That or OV.

Brew from Saturday, yeast pitched at 630, dropped from 1.063 to 1.016. Thankfully I closed off the spunding valve enough last night to catch some co2. I expect it to finish at 1.015. Build up of about 12 psi. I’ll completely close it off in a bit. Windsor is supposed to hit terminal gravity in 3 days. Looks like it will make it.

Mashing in the NEIPA (Three Legged Dog) yesterday. This is first Runnings going into the kettle.
upload_2021-6-5_12-23-14.png

Put it into fermentation fridge after loading it with Verdant IPA yeast. This yeast is a monster! It is fermenting at 8 degrees above the fridge setting!!!! Who needs a heater? Just brew some beer...

It started off at 1.064 Friday @ 17:00. This is today (Saturday) at 12:00

Shared some beer with the staff at the LHBS and brewery. Considering kegging my version of the Manni Pees, firmly bitter and nice from using one of those quaint old ideas, the BU/GU ratio, to keep it from being too sweet and balancing towards chloride to enhance the malt.

Mashing in the NEIPA (Three Legged Dog) yesterday. This is first Runnings going into the kettle.
View attachment 16072

Put it into fermentation fridge after loading it with Verdant IPA yeast. This yeast is a monster! It is fermenting at 8 degrees above the fridge setting!!!! Who needs a heater? Just brew some beer...

It started off at 1.064 Friday @ 17:00. This is today (Saturday) at 12:00

Even as a kid I had a thing for Joanne Lumley...

I checked gravity on my amber ale (it is at FG) and tasted a sample. I will let it ride for another week in hopes that it will clear a little better. Meanwhile, my Memorial Day IPA is still bubbling slowly, so it will go another week before I add Citra dry hops. For my sourdough batch, I ground to flour some dried spent beer grains from the amber ale.

I checked gravity on my amber ale (it is at FG) and tasted a sample. I will let it ride for another week in hopes that it will clear a little better. Meanwhile, my Memorial Day IPA is still bubbling slowly, so it will go another week before I add Citra dry hops. For my sourdough batch, I ground to flour some dried spent beer grains from the amber ale.
Is the Memorial Day IPA something new? Is there something unique about it. Great name for a beer btw

Back