What are you doing with homebrew today?

Got the keg cleaned to ferment in tomorrow. That sucked, inside was good but the rubber kept getting black on my hands and the tub I was using to clean it. Ready to roll with an ESB in the morning

Got the keg cleaned to ferment in tomorrow. That sucked, inside was good but the rubber kept getting black on my hands and the tub I was using to clean it. Ready to roll with an ESB in the morning
That is the only downfall of these corny kegs, the rubber. The thing with rubber is that it actually begins to decay from the moment it is vulcanized. In the hydraulic business, we can't sell hose that is over 4 years old as the integrity is compromised by the decay. When you are dealing with say 6000 PSI, this is a serious concern.

Putting together a box of homebrew ingredients and equipment that didn't make the cut for the move. It's all going to a good home tho (my sister is also a homebrewer and hasn't started all grain yet, but has the equipment already). I'm sending her a 10 lb bag of pale 2 row and several lbs of various specialty grains and adjuncts. Plus all my hops and yeast, brewing salts and lactic acid, siphons/tubes/hydrometers, it's a lot of goodies!

Things that I kept: refractometer, 3 gal kettle, weldless bulkheads and valves, 3 gal fermonster and accessories, and 1 packet of Voss kveik. My plan is to brew extract for a while in Virginia, and Voss is the only yeast I've worked with that can handle those brutal summers! And I feel like it sells out every summer from online retailers, so I think I can make this packet stretch for quite a few batches

Oh and I still have that damn brown ale to bottle! Maybe I can convince my SO to help with the heavy lifting and bending :rolleyes:

Got the Shore leave bottled this morning, modification to the Grifo bottler saved 7 bottles of waste. Still lose a couple bottles worth of spillage with it, but it cuts the bottling time by almost 2/3 over the bucket and wand.

Curious what your previous method/equipment was and how you lost 7-9 bottles to waste. That sounds pejorative, but isn't meant to be.

That is the only downfall of these corny kegs, the rubber. The thing with rubber is that it actually begins to decay from the moment it is vulcanized. In the hydraulic business, we can't sell hose that is over 4 years old as the integrity is compromised by the decay. When you are dealing with say 6000 PSI, this is a serious concern.

In the kitchen I will normally use the stand mixer. A while back I needed to use a hand mixer. Back in the back of the cupboard is the hand mixer I havent used in a couple years. When I dug it out, It had a rubber handle of some kind. It had degraded so badly it was actually gooie.

Yeah, all my rubber-ended kegs do that. I put a thin coat of keg lube (vaseline) on and buff it a little, that minimizes the transfer onto the fridge surfaces.

Curious what your previous method/equipment was and how you lost 7-9 bottles to waste. That sounds pejorative, but isn't meant to be.
Just the liquid level in the tank on the bottle filler, only used it a couple times before, due to the waste. It is much faster than a wand and bucket. Now with a tank drain, the problem is solved.

OMG...who IS THIS WOMAN... .wifey just drank a whole bottle of the Saaztenial Blonde! I think I need to get to the bottom of this!
20210522_184749.jpg

Last edited:
I am drinking a couple of my homebrews, and making sure everything is in order to brew tomorrow. Earlier today, I filled my 5-gallon bottle with RO water from the store. Also, using spent beer grains in my latest batch of sourdough, which I will bake tomorrow after brewing.

I am drinking a couple of my homebrews, and making sure everything is in order to brew tomorrow. Earlier today, I filled my 5-gallon bottle with RO water from the store. Also, using spent beer grains in my latest batch of sourdough, which I will bake tomorrow after brewing.
What's the dough texture like with spent grains? I would be worried about the hulls being tough

What's the dough texture like with spent grains? I would be worried about the hulls being tough
I grind the dried spent beer grains (25 grams) with a little 6-row barley (20 grams) to make flour, so there is not any visible roughage. After stretching and folding, the dough is quite smooth. When I first started making this recipe, I put the sbg in without grinding - my wife objected, so I’ve ground the grains ever since.

ETA the spent beer grains and 6-row make up a small portion of the total grain bill. I use 502 grams of King Arthur bread flour, 75 grams of KA white whole wheat flour, and 227 grams of fed, ripe starter, which is an equal blend of water and white whole wheat flour that I feed as needed.

Last edited:
I've done both straight spent mash as well as dried and ground to flour and either way its a heavy dough. Don't do more than a .5 :1 SBG to white flour or you get a hard tack sort of outcome. I like the super grainy mouthfeel..sorta like grapenuts in your oatmeal...

Busy day today, brewed 10 gallons of Shady Bohemian Light, cleaned 3 cornies and flushed all the lines in the keezer with hot sanitizer(might as well put it to good use after sanitizing the pumps). Reorganized my bottle storage, delivered beer to mom and dad, and(with the help of my daughter/head of packaging) labeled 150 bottles or so. Drinking a Wayner's right now(the only thing left on tap).

Also scored a nearly full 20 pound co2 tank and regulator for $40 on Friday.

Busy day today, brewed 10 gallons of Shady Bohemian Light, cleaned 3 cornies and flushed all the lines in the keezer with hot sanitizer(might as well put it to good use after sanitizing the pumps). Reorganized my bottle storage, delivered beer to mom and dad, and(with the help of my daughter/head of packaging) labeled 150 bottles or so. Drinking a Wayner's right now(the only thing left on tap).

Also scored a nearly full 20 pound co2 tank and regulator for $40 on Friday.
Very productive musta laid off the Grog the day before:p.

Back