Primitive cider (again)

I'm liking this batch quite a bit
20210512_174414.jpg

I like the idea of adding salt!
It's not uncommon here for people to add salt (and lemon/lime) to the commercial cider.
I tried it and like it as those ciders are very sweet. It balances them out.

I learned a lot from this article about how brewing salts affect flavor. The goal shouldn't be matching numbers with a target water profile, but instead knowing what each mineral brings to the table and if it will enhance or detract from the flavor of your beverage

https://byo.com/article/adjusting-flavor-using-brewing-salts/

Historical brewing by Ben. Did you use frozen concentrate?

As for cider, our latest batch is a good one. It is clear, fizzy and has good aroma and flavor. Too bad we lost a whole 500 ml bottle to bottle failure.

Historical brewing by Ben. Did you use frozen concentrate?

As for cider, our latest batch is a good one. It is clear, fizzy and has good aroma and flavor. Too bad we lost a whole 500 ml bottle to bottle failure.
Local pineapples from round here yeah 4 pineapples ha!

I’m referring to “12 Lt Aldi Apple Juice (reconstituted)” - what I’m asking is, did you use apple juice from concentrate?
Yeah it would of been juice. It musta had that written on the bottles...
I still remember making it I juiced the lemons and 4 pineapples and filled to 14.5lt Mark using juice.
Added the lactose for sweetness.
I want to try oak chips again.

I was reading a book on historical cider making at the time and how cider was stored in oak barrels on the bar at pubs they called it Scrumpy or ye old Scrumpy.
So was trying to get the oak flavour.

My next batch turned out like vinegar apple cider vinegar I remember but this one was hastily drunken:p

Soooo
I forgot I had 4 ltr cider still in the fermentation bucket.
Bottled it today. I added a little yeast to each bottle.
It's going to stand for about amonth as I will be away. It's in PET bottles and in a coolbox, so should be pretty safe.
I also found a forgotten 500 ml bottled cider. It's from the batch that struggled to carbonate. Well, it is carbonated now ;)
Patience (or forgetfulness) really is a virtue.
I moved the bottle to the fridge....

The cider mentioned above turned out fine.
I finished it in just a couple days.

I bought apple juice again, so a new batch will start soon. Just gotta decide on the yeast.
I got a couple beer yeasts, safcider and kveik.
I still only have a cool box for temperature control and current temps are 8 at night, 29 oC at daytime.
Any suggestions (while I go check which beer yeasts I have)?

OK,
I haven't got safcider....
So far by going by memory.

I got
Mangrove Jack 02 cider yeast ;)
S33
T58
MJ 29 French Saison
MJ 47 Belgian abbey
MJ 31 Belgian Tripel
Lallemand Belle Saison
And Red Wine yeast (universal)

You should have saved some slurry from the previous batch. As for the rest of your choices, I have not used any of them, so no help here.

On my last batch I used Lalvin EC-1118. The cider was quite dry and I had to really back sweeten to get it more drinkable. I have used T-58. It leaves a pretty sulfury smell that disipates over a week or two but a decent taste. I guess it comes down to your requirements as far as taste.

You should have saved some slurry from the previous batch. As for the rest of your choices, I have not used any of them, so no help here.
I generally do, but the last batch was the 4th or 5th in a row and the applejuice used contained sodium benzoate....
So gotta start again.
I've mainly been using kveik, but we are in winter now. Not sure about those temps and kveik

Back