My first NEIPA recipe - I hope it works

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Another new one that will use the Verdant yeast that has been praised on the Craft Brewing Channel (they use Brewers Friend so they may have some recipes on here - this one is mine however).
Additionally the CBC went on to praise the Bru-1 hop so I decided to use it too.

Any comments gratefully received as to the techniques for a good NEIPA/

The recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1150860/three-legged-dog

Another new one that will use the Verdant yeast that has been praised on the Craft Brewing Channel (they use Brewers Friend so they may have some recipes on here - this one is mine however).
Additionally the CBC went on to praise the Bru-1 hop so I decided to use it too.

Any comments gratefully received as to the techniques for a good NEIPA/

The recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1150860/three-legged-dog
Yeah their NEIPA recipie turned out great it seems.

You know I used this verdant yeast in Wayners pale ale and was great.
Then I used it in my hop test beer and I got some phenolic flavours peppery but a heap of citrus pith as well it's calmed down now month or so later but I'm thinking it's something I've done not the yeast.
But I turfed it the yeast that is.
Keep in mind I don't brew this style..
As for the recipie of it were me I'd tripple your late hop additions whirlpool and dry hop.
I'd also up the oats and wheat like double.
Not sure what the red X is doing? Colour and maltiness?
Good luck keep that transfer clean and 02 free and you should be good.

Hi Al

For the grain bill I would suggest the following
Pale malt 55-70%, you can bring up your color a bit by using maris otter for your base malt.
Munich up to 20%, or none at all
Flaked Oats 5-18%
Flaked, and or malted Wheat 10-15%
Acid Malt to suit, keep the pH low, 5.3 is good
Crystal malt, from zero to max 5%, your percentage looks good there. (I don't use any crystal in my NEIPA's)
I use 4% biscuit in one of my favorite NEIPA's, no crystal or munich in that one.

I would mash a NEIPA at a higher temperature, 68C or 69C.

For the hops
I have a bit of a reputation for being heavy handed with the hops, but this style is largely about the flavor and the aroma of the hops.
You could delete your boil hops entirely, and reduce your boil time to 30 minutes.
You will get enough bitterness from doing a hop stand at 80C, I would use 5-8 grams per liter at 80C, should get you in the 30 IBU range.
I don't see a dry hop addition there. I would dry hop at between 8-10 grams per liter. I would be adding half at peak krausen, the other half before fermentation is finished.

I haven't used Verdant, but I understand that it is ideal for NEIPA

The other thing to consider is your water profile.
This is difficult if you don't know your starting water profile.
Of course, Brewers Friend only shows you target water profile, not your theoretical actual profile.
(@Pricelessbrewing @Yooper , I still don't get this, just sayin...)
As with any beer you need a decent amount of calcium 80-100 ppm is good.
Now it seems backwards to go heavier on Chlorides, and lighter on sulfates, but this style is about mouth feel to go with the hop flavor and aroma. I would suggest that you should go between 2:1, and 3:1 chlorides to sulfates. Following is my typical NEIPA water profile.
upload_2021-5-10_17-30-9.png

Hop this helps (left the E off of hope on purpose :p)

@Craigerrr 's hops disability aside, you could double or even triple the hops to get closer to the style.

My session Neipa uses 28g Magnum for bittering at 60 min, 54g of Mosaic or Cascade at 15 and 0 minutes, then 80g Of those at 3 days. And for the style it is a bit light on hops...

Thanks guys. Just the information I needed. So... out comes the drawing board again. I guess the dog wasn't called Hoppy after all and should have been called Limpy! That doesn't make for a good name though. Especially as you lot would call it Alan's Lime Pee!!! - and I'm not going through all of that again. It might be the right colour though...

Information taken on board and recipe updated. Given my bottled water base line it was a bit difficult to reach all the recommended salts balance but I got pretty close.
upload_2021-5-11_1-53-44.png

Dry Hop added and upped the flavours. Definitely Hoppy now almost Skippy the Bush Kangaroo - which looks like it has 3 legs after all. By the way the Amber malt is there for its Biscuit flavour - I don't have any biscuit malt so this will do instead.

Here: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1150860/three-legged-dog

My homebrew club meeting is this Wednesday, there is a tutorial on this style. I am interested to see what the content is like. I will report back.

@AHarper Two things: I see Calcium Chloride twice, and you might want to dry hop all at the same time.
Otherwise looks solid! It'll be hoppy, moderately bitter, very 'juicy' with citrus, pine and the like.
I'll stop by next month for a taste :p

@AHarper Two things: I see Calcium Chloride twice, and you might want to dry hop all at the same time.
Otherwise looks solid! It'll be hoppy, moderately bitter, very 'juicy' with citrus, pine and the like.
I'll stop by next month for a taste :p

Yes the Calcium Chloride. I hadn't noticed but I suspect it is the dreaded Water Chemistry system - adding in "its" selection of the salts between subsequent back and forward Saving and Update Recipe actions. You have to be very careful with it as it doesn't always work as intended (expected). I will fix immediately.
If I could send you a bottle of it I would. Thanks for the advice on it. It is number 3 on the list of brews. First is the Shady Bohemian (the trouble I have gone to to try and replicate all the values / stats has driven me mad today), then an Irish Red (been trying to make it for a long while as I wanted to use the "Alien" on the label - I took it's picture in the Roswell UFO museum. Third will be the NEIPA as the hops and yeast arrives tomorrow.

You know I used this verdant yeast in Wayners pale ale and was great.
I'm looking at trying this yeast. Does it attenuate well? Some say it puts out a peach flavor, did you get that from it?

I'm looking at trying this yeast. Does it attenuate well? Some say it puts out a peach flavor, did you get that from it?
I don't remember any peach type flavours just citrusy grapefruit flavours all I remember is a persistent haze right to the end. Fermentation produced a really good krausen so keep this in mind if using it keep plenty of head space above the wort.

I only used it twice the second batch had a strong citrus pith type flavour not sure if from the hops or.
But it was phenolic having a peppery aftertaste which I thought was maybe an infection
So I've since turfed the yeast bit disappointing but not really a good run on the yeast.

I don't remember any peach type flavours just citrusy grapefruit flavours all I remember is a persistent haze right to the end. Fermentation produced a really good krausen so keep this in mind if using it keep plenty of head space above the wort.

I only used it twice the second batch had a strong citrus pith type flavour not sure if from the hops or.
But it was phenolic having a peppery aftertaste which I thought was maybe an infection
So I've since turfed the yeast bit disappointing but not really a good run on the yeast.
Thanks! Great info.

Back