Dunkles hefeweitzen for feedback

Donoroto

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
I brew Hefes most often, and for the summer I thought a dark would be a nice change.
Have a look at this recipe and let me know what you think.
Thanks!

Not my style, but I like following threads about different styles for the learning:)

Not a common USA style for sure.

It is just a darker, slightly maltier version of my standard Hefe.

Dark wheat, Dark Munich, CaraMunich...is there enough Diastatic Power there??

I made one Dunkelweizen and it came out exactly as I made it, but not at all as I expected. o_O
It seems like a style that would be right up my alley but I need to find some commercial examples first before I give another one a go. Unfortunately, I can't find any commercial examples.

Good luck.

I need to find some commercial examples first before I give another one a go.
Oh yeah, plenty of DP. The Dark Munich is not very dark, only 6.5L Not sure if LHBS carries it, if not then regular wheat will have to do.

For commercial examples, almost all will come from Germany, often in 500 ml bottles, like this one. Gotta poke around a bit to find them.

DH.jpg

Oh yeah, plenty of DP. The Dark Munich is not very dark, only 6.5L Not sure if LHBS carries it, if not then regular wheat will have to do.

For commercial examples, almost all will come from Germany, often in 500 ml bottles, like this one. Gotta poke around a bit to find them.

View attachment 15596
I believe that Ben shows off some of his brews in a Weihenstephaner glass.

I brew Hefes most often, and for the summer I thought a dark would be a nice change.
Have a look at this recipe and let me know what you think.
Thanks!
If you've managed to successfully get the right esters in your hefes then this looks like a good attempt at the dark version (one of my favorites!) - I think what you have is solid! My only recommendation might be Tettnanger versus Hallertauer - the spiciness just goes nice.

Please let me know how this turns out as I might give it a go. - I gave up on trying to make one as I couldn't get the mash schedule, pitch rate and temp right - I always ended up with some sort or tang to it I didn't like.

Will do, thank you for the ideas.

The Hallertauer Mittelfrueh is somewhat more spicy than Tettnanger or it's close cousin Saaz, thus my preference. I go all in for the banana, bubblegum and clove, and usually get it.

Some extra dark maltiness is appropriate for a dunkles, but I'll brew it this weekend and see what it ends up as. I may add a few grams of one or the other hops near the end of the boil, but hops are not supposed to be very evident in a hefe.

A local brewery (killed by covid) made one I really liked. @Donoroto i need to talk with you on Hefeweizen and the Dunkelweizen. Not made one but need to.

Back