Brew Session NOT finding Hops to deduct from Inventory

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I did have an item here but I discovered where I went wrong...

My recipe had Hops down as Pellets.... My Inventory has the Hops as Leaf.. hence the Brew Session was , quite rightly , unable to deduct it.

Last edited:
I was unable to fully edit the above report entry - I wanted to re-instate a graphic but was unable to insert it once in Edit mode.

This was the example of the Brew Session report where the Hops were, Correctly, NOT deducted as they were the wrong STYLE.

My fault but a good lesson to remember - make sure your choice of ingredients ACCURATELY match your inventory amounts!!
upload_2019-2-11_15-54-2.png

I have a similar problem with hop deductions, and it is related to the type (pellets vs leaf). However, I'm finding that the program is changing the hop type on its own.

Multiple times I've confirmed that my inventory and recipe are both using pellets for hop type. After making other adjustments in my recipe, I save the changes and then click BREW IT or Print the recipe only to find that the recipe has changed to showing leaf hops. Sometimes it affects all of my pellet entries and sometimes only a few.

Note that I only have pellets or Lupulin pellets in my inventory, no leaf hops at all.

I have a similar problem with hop deductions, and it is related to the type (pellets vs leaf). However, I'm finding that the program is changing the hop type on its own.

Multiple times I've confirmed that my inventory and recipe are both using pellets for hop type. After making other adjustments in my recipe, I save the changes and then click BREW IT or Print the recipe only to find that the recipe has changed to showing leaf hops. Sometimes it affects all of my pellet entries and sometimes only a few.

Note that I only have pellets or Lupulin pellets in my inventory, no leaf hops at all.

The recipe is randomly changing the hops types, after saving?

Yes, exactly. I'll save my recipe with all hops identified as pellets. I'll close the Brewer's Friend website. I come back later and open my recipe, and it looks correct with hop pellets. I go to print the recipe, and some of the hops are listed as leaf. I then go back to edit my recipe (to check), and the hops that were going to print as leaf show as leaf in the recipe.

Thanks for the thorough explanation- we'll take a look at that and get it fixed.

Any progress on this? I also run into the hops not being found when starting a brew session. In my case I can't even make out that the type would be different or anything. It just doesn't pick it up, despite having built the recipe from the suggestions from my inventory and cost being picked up just fine...

Any progress on this? I also run into the hops not being found when starting a brew session. In my case I can't even make out that the type would be different or anything. It just doesn't pick it up, despite having built the recipe from the suggestions from my inventory and cost being picked up just fine...

That sounds like a totally different issue. Can you give me a link to the recipe/brew session, and some screenshots, so I can dig into it?

I guess not ‍¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ... cool, cool, cool...

Edit: Replaced emoji with ASCII variation as the forum doesn't seem to have propper Unicode support in 2021. Might be time to jump ship.

The supported icons are on the menu above the text area. I find they are about adequate if I really need an emoji. :shrug:

The supported icons are on the menu above the text area. I find they are about adequate if I really need an emoji. :shrug:

That's not a dealbreaker, but a display of what plagues the web app: There is so much that seems to be outdated compared to how one would handle it today. Just to give one example: adding stuff to the inventory causes page reloads and doesn't even scroll to the added item. We did reload free page updates for stuff like this in 2007...

The actual functionality is great, but there are a ton of bugs. Like price of hops or IBU not updating correctly based on the order of editing.. I learned to work around that - but come on...

The water calc is superb, I like the general flow and look of the tool - it's the little things though.

That's not a dealbreaker, but a display of what plagues the web app: There is so much that seems to be outdated compared to how one would handle it today. Just to give one example: adding stuff to the inventory causes page reloads and doesn't even scroll to the added item. We did reload free page updates for stuff like this in 2007...

The actual functionality is great, but there are a ton of bugs. Like price of hops or IBU not updating correctly based on the order of editing.. I learned to work around that - but come on...

The water calc is superb, I like the general flow and look of the tool - it's the little things though.
There are threads on the forum to request features and report issues if you'd like. I've found the admins always respond promptly and try to find a solution

There are threads on the forum to request features and report issues if you'd like. I've found the admins always respond promptly and try to find a solution

This thread kind of shows that this is not always the case. Everything is fine folks :)
I spent the afternoon transfering my data to Brewfather. Will check out if that suits me better.
Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't :)

This thread kind of shows that this is not always the case. Everything is fine folks :)
I spent the afternoon transfering my data to Brewfather. Will check out if that suits me better.
Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't :)
Yooper asked you to post a link to the recipe so she could have a look at it, I would consider that a good response to your query. You didn't post the link, so she has no way to determine what the issue is.

There are multiple records for some hops, American grown European grown, cryo etc. I suspect that the hop you have selected in you re I've, is a different "item" than you have selected for your inventory.

Does that make sense?

Maybe remove the hop from your recipe, then re-select it. That may correct the issue.

@Yooper
There seems to be a disconnect with the communication on this issue for @ruben_we
Just thought I would tag you to see if he can still get help with his problem

Yooper asked you to post a link to the recipe so she could have a look at it, I would consider that a good response to your query. You didn't post the link, so she has no way to determine what the issue is.

I did though? See post Nr.8 in this thread.

I suspect that the hop you have selected in you re I've, is a different "item" than you have selected for your inventory.

If so, then only because the recipe designer is broken or has a massive UX problem. If the hops I select is shown to be in my inventory and the type matches up... then I don't know what else I can do to select the right thing. There are no IDs shown - I don't know what dark magic goes on behind the scenes and I didn't care enough to discect it with the browser developer tools until now.

Maybe remove the hop from your recipe, then re-select it. That may correct the issue.

Forgot to answer this one - but that is something I did after reading the inital feedback in this thread and the other stuff that popped up when using google to find others with the same issue. That did not make a difference.

@ruben_we

I apologies for the delay, the app rollout and some hectic life things have me stretched pretty thing right now. We have an update on our beta.brewersfriend.com site that hopefully should resolve this, if you could please take a look at the pending update and let me know if the issues you're having with hop deductions are resolved. It has updated quite a lot of things regarding inventory handling and has added some fallback catches and allowed for more user interaction in the event of a deduction not being found just in case.

upload_2021-5-1_13-48-5.png

Back