Water acidification calc

MrSawdust

Premium Member
Reaction score
Both my mash & sparge water are from a single tank which I treat with AMS. I can't seem to find a way to enter this correctly so the ph matches my measurements. The tank is 700l. I add around 650ml of AMS. Mash is usually around 300l with sparge between 300l to 400l.

After treatment, what pH are you typically reading? And what pH are you targeting? Do you know your waters Alkalinity (as CaCO3, or as KH)?

You are adding sufficient AMS to reduce Alkalinity (as CaCO3) by 170 ppm. If your water has around 190-200 ppm Alkalinity (as CaCO3) to begin with, the result of your treatment regimen should be water of roughly 5.4 to 5.6 pH.

Last edited:
After treatment, what pH are you typically reading? And what pH are you targeting? Do you know your waters Alkalinity (as CaCO3, or as KH)?

You are adding sufficient AMS to reduce Alkalinity (as CaCO3) by 170 ppm. If your water has around 190-200 ppm Alkalinity (as CaCO3) to begin with, the result of your treatment regimen should be water of roughly 5.4 to 5.6 pH

After treatment my ph is 5.4 or wherever I need it to be. My question is regarding Brewer's Friend and trying to input it correctly. I believe that's where I'm making a mistake. I don't use BF to calculate my additions but I would like to. I work off my most recent water report for my brewery. CaCO3 is 161. PH is 6.77

You could potentially reduce your AMS addition for 700L of your water to about 535 mL.

Really? Well I never. Thanks for the advice.

Trust, but verify (with a pH meter). You can always add more as needed.

A lot depends upon whether or not the 161 mg/L (ppm) CaCO3 reading you mentioned above is in reference to Alkalinity, or to Total Hardness. All bets are off it it references total hardness.

Plus I'm only looking at water pH being adjusted here. If you are adding 650 mL of AMS whereby to bring a mash to pH 5.4 (instead of merely the water) then 650 mL is the right answer for you.

Last edited:

Back