Failed Carbonation

bigdaddy0442

Trial Member
Reaction score
My batch of Spotted Cow Clone failed to carbonate after 2 weeks in the bottle. Been sitting in dark bathtub for 15 days and the test bottle I opened was flat.

I did some research and have moved to a warmer area and inverted the bottles. Plan on waiting another week before I open another test bottle.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Did you add any sugar before you bottled it?

Did you add any sugar before you bottled it?
Yes Sir. I added 4 oz. priming sugar dissolved in 1 cup of water to the bottom of the bottling bucket prior to moving the fermented wort to the bottling bucket. I should have been thoroughly mixed by the siphon flow in the bottom of the bottling bucket.

Yes Sir. I added 4 oz. priming sugar dissolved in 1 cup of water to the bottom of the bottling bucket prior to moving the fermented wort to the bottling bucket. I should have been thoroughly mixed by the siphon flow in the bottom of the bottling bucket.
Sorry for the seemingly ridiculous question.
Did you check the specific gravity before, and after fermentation?

After 2 weeks at room temperature I would expect some carbonation but it can depend on the yeast and the temperature. Pumping up the temperature and giving it another week is probably the best strategy. You can also in the future when bottling fill one PET bottle along with the glass bottles. When the bottle becomes firm you know it has carbonation. I did this for my first 3-4 brews and it worked well. Haven't done it for my last few brews because I know that with US-05 in my 65F basement that the beer will be carbed in right around 7 days. I know others on here routinely bottle condition for 3 weeks. You'll get a feel for it after a few batches but for now just give it more time. Patience is the hardest part of brewing. Hang in there.

Was this an extract brew?
What yeast did you use?

I have no experience with Kolsch yeast, 4oz seems like a reasonable amount for reasonable carbonation. Depending on the temperature of the beer at fermentation you should get 2 to 2.4 volumes Co2.
Others may have more to add on this @Nosybear may have some insight.
You may just need to give it more time to condition, possibly at a warmer temperature.

Kolsch yeast is notoriously slow for ale yeast. It behaves similarly to bottom fermenting yeast during fermentation (as far as temp thresholds, and lag/attenuation times). I think proper temperature (around 70F) and more time will get you there, unfortunately :confused: Time is my least favorite homebrewing ingredient

Also don't forget to turn your bottles right side up again so that the yeast sediments to the bottom of the bottle for easier pouring :)

Addendum to Sunfires questions, how warm is your bathtub?

DME added to grain mashed for 30 min at 155 deg F.
60 min boil.
WLP029 pitched at 62 deg F

You added extract to the grain? I’ve never heard of that. Or do you mean you mashed the grain (30 minutes is a bit short), and then added extract and/or water? Either way, the carbonation will happen given time and a warmer temperature.

What @Yooper said...time and temp will do it. If they're really being sluggish, warm to 75 degrees or even a little warmer for a few days. If you let it sit for a while and settled a lot of the yeast out before bottling, it can take a while for the fewer cells to do the work of carbonation.
Other problem can be loose fitting caps/bad seal.

What @Yooper said...time and temp will do it. If they're really being sluggish, warm to 75 degrees or even a little warmer for a few days. If you let it sit for a while and settled a lot of the yeast out before bottling, it can take a while for the fewer cells to do the work of carbonation.
Other problem can be loose fitting caps/bad seal.
I did let it set in the fermenter for 3 weeks. That is longer than I usually let wort sit but I was wanting to get a more clear beer. I have turned them over and put them in a warmer area of my house to hopefully wake up the "yeasties"

Thanks for your comments!!

I did let it set in the fermenter for 3 weeks. That is longer than I usually let wort sit but I was wanting to get a more clear beer. I have turned them over and put them in a warmer area of my house to hopefully wake up the "yeasties"

Three weeks is not an unusually long time to sit and setttle and Kolsch-type yeasts are not extreme flocculators. There should be plenty of yeast cells in suspension, though not an over-abundance, by any means. :) Sometimes carbonation just takes longer. Temperature is likely your main hold-up at this point. I had the best luck letting bottles get up to 80 or so for at least a day and then keeping them at 72 or better.

Might not want to leave them upside down too long, you don't want sediment on the cap end of the bottle.

Might not want to leave them upside down too long, you don't want sediment on the cap end of the bottle.
Only flipped them for 4 days so I should be ok. Have them sitting in a 75 degree room at this time. Hopefully this will work.

Thanks for all the input. The most frustrating thing about brewing the the wait.

Give them a shake everyday, warm it up. As JA said, 029 is not a good flocculator, so there should be plenty of yeast. It will carb up, eventually.

Back