When to add hops

franklin159753

Trial Member
Reaction score
OK so basically the time listed in the recipe is how long you boil the hops for. (Usage tells you what stage to do it, but if you see time in days, it means dry hop after you cool and pitch the yeast)

For this one, when you have 50 minutes left, put in the 1oz Saaz.
At 20 minutes left put in the .5oz Saaz
At 10 minutes left, put in the .5oz Styrian goldings.

upload_2021-1-28_10-25-49.png

Hi,

thanks, i know the time is how long i boil the hops, but do i need to boil the grain 90 minutes, then the hops for a total of again 90 minutes ?

at the top of the recipe it say 90min, so i basically put all the grain + 0.5oz of styrian right from the start that's correct ?

thanks,

Do not boil twice. Once the wort begins boiling all the timers start.
If Boil Time is 90 minutes that's how long you boil the wort for, then 40 minutes in you add hops to boil for 50 minutes, then 70 minutes, etc...

It's all one boil.

Only had hops for 90 minutes if there is a step for hops that says 90 minutes.

No problem. The timings are very much not intuitive when you are first starting.

Yes. That too.

Hi,

thanks, i know the time is how long i boil the hops, but do i need to boil the grain 90 minutes, then the hops for a total of again 90 minutes ?

at the top of the recipe it say 90min, so i basically put all the grain + 0.5oz of styrian right from the start that's correct ?

thanks,

If it was a 60 minute boil it would look like this
upload_2021-1-28_19-3-5.png

assuming you had 3 hop additions for a 60 min boil. Ignore the hop types here - this was for another example but the idea about when to add hops would have to suit whatever your recipe says.

Hope this helps

Hi guys,

I'm new to brewing and i'm not certain when to add hops. Do you boil the grain first, let it cool, and only then do you add the hops ? For example for this recipe :

https://brewgr.com/recipe/17791/dtr-tripel-karmeliet-clone-1-belgian-tripel-recipe

Do you boil the grain 90min before starting to add the first styrian golding, or do you add the styring to the grain as it boil ?

Thanks in advance

You do not boil the grain. The grains are mashed. This is the most basic level of brewing knowledge. If you aren't at all familiar with the brewing process, I strongly advise you gat a copy of How to Brew (4th edition) by John Palmer.
How To Brew: Everything You Need to Know to Brew Great Beer Every Time – Brewers Publications
This book will introduce you to the basic beer brewing process and then lead you into more advanced methods. A must read for new brewers and a great reference for experienced brewers as well.

You do not boil the grain. The grains are mashed. This is the most basic level of brewing knowledge. If you aren't at all familiar with the brewing process, I strongly advise you gat a copy of How to Brew (4th edition) by John Palmer.
How To Brew: Everything You Need to Know to Brew Great Beer Every Time – Brewers Publications
This book will introduce you to the basic beer brewing process and then lead you into more advanced methods. A must read for new brewers and a great reference for experienced brewers as well.
This could be helpful and also maybe you can ease yourself in by doing an extract recipe. Many of us start this way and it's a good way to get a feel for brewing without having to worry about the added complexity of mashing. My first 2 brews were extract, many go much longer than that, some never switch to all grain. You can still make some pretty good beer from extract. Malt extract is wort that's already been made by mashing grains and then concentrated, all you really have to do is rehydrate it. It comes as either Liquid malt extract (actually more of a syrup) or dry malt extract. Having tried both I prefer DME to LME as it's easier to use and has a much longer shelf life but it's also a bit more expensive. There's a illustrated tutorial in the sticky thread in this beginners sub that walks you through an extract brew. Also the other plus is with extract you really don't need to boil for 90 or even 60 minutes. If your first hop addition is with 40 minutes remaining you can just boil for 40 minutes.

I'd agree with Bob that you should learn and research as much as you can, I learn new things on this forum almost daily but just thought I'd give you an option that will let you make good beer with less upfront knowledge.

There is a bit of a how to for the beginner right here on Brewers Friend. Take some time to read through this, and refer back to it often.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/beginners-brewing-illustrated-tutorial.10627/

I would also highly recommend searching youtube for BIAB videos, there are gazillions of them (that is a more than a Brazillion). Mash Hacks has a good BIAB brew day video for one, he also has a great video on understanding water volumes in brewing.
The three different process's in brewing beer are:

The Mash
This is how you turn the starches in the grains into fermentable sugar.

The Boil
Accomplishes a number of things that are a bit too many to simplify in this post.

Fermentation
After draining from the boil kettle to a fermenter of some description (bucket for one), and adding the yeast, this will take some time, count on 2 weeks, depending on the yeast you use, temperature etc.

John Palmers book is available on line in an older version, find it book mark it and refer to it often.

Cheers, good luck, and don't be shy, we are happy to help.

There is a bit of a how to for the beginner right here on Brewers Friend. Take some time to read through this, and refer back to it often.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/beginners-brewing-illustrated-tutorial.10627/

I would also highly recommend searching youtube for BIAB videos, there are gazillions of them (that is a more than a Brazillion). Mash Hacks has a good BIAB brew day video for one, he also has a great video on understanding water volumes in brewing.

The Mash

The Boil
Accomplishes a number of things that are a bit too many to simplify in this post.

Fermentation
After draining from the boil kettle to a fermenter of some description (bucket for one), and adding the yeast, this will take some time, count on 2 weeks, depending on the yeast you use, temperature etc.

John Palmers book is available on line in an older version, find it book mark it and refer to it often.

Hey you forgot the 4th CONSUMPTION:D!

Welcome to the obsession. I have been brewing beer for just over 2 years. The best advice I can offer is to start SIMPLE. My first brew was an extract with steeping grains, but each since then has been all-grain recipes (most of my own creation) using the brew in a bag (BIAB) process. To this point, I have brewed 33 batches, and I think I have my process figured out. It is important to learn how your brewing equipment works - what is the boil off rate for your kettle, and how much water is lost to the grain and the hops, how are your thermometer(s), hydrometer(s), refractometer(s) and pH meter(s) calibrated? Note that I do not own a pH meter, but I do have those other instruments. Figure out how your equipment works, then tackle bigger beers like the one you are trying to make. Good luck!
Offered in my humble opinion.

The Mash

The Boil

Fermentation

How many zeros in a Brazillion?

ok thanks for everything guys !

i've brew aanother batch, less mistakes than the desastrous first time, perfectible but should be ok.

now just need to wait, i can hear the bubble from the yeast already.

juste quick question, how sanatization happen if the water is not boiled ? i clean everything with sanatizing product but what about the water ?

Not sure what you mean about not boiling water? If you are adding hops to the boil the water has to be boiling?

I did multiple extract batches when I first started with just regular tap water and they were fine, realistically unless your tap water is unsafe to drink you can get away without boiling it.

Back