When to add hops

Best answer I could come up withView attachment 13940
upload_2021-2-1_0-45-41.png

i though that you add to sterilize the water just in case it would impact the taste :)

Cleaning and sanitizing everything that touches your beer after the boil is probably your primary concern now as a beginning brewer, and going forward, as it is with all of us. Clean equipment like you are cleaning dishes that you will be eating from. I use diluted, unscented dish soap, same as I wash my dishes with. Get some brushes to clean tubing, spigots and small bits, bottles, etc. Soft cloths are needed for plastic fermenters, bottling buckets and other equipment that you do not want to scratch - scratches in your plastic equipment can lead to infected beer.
After you clean, then use sanitizer (I use Star San, there are other products),typically diluted in clean water, and follow the directions. Star San gets pretty foamy when it is shaken. Don’t fear the foam is a common term in brewing, meaning the foam from the sanitizer won’t have any negative effect on your beer.
When making beer, there is a lot of dishwashing that goes along with the process. Keep things clean and sanitized, and you are giving yourself a good chance to make good beer.

Last edited:
These words he speaks are true!
Brewing is what you do when you are not cleaning.
A little hint for starsan.
I purchased several jugs of distilled water a long time ago.
I used the water for brewing, but kept the jugs and use them to keep premixed starsan in.
You can reuse it over, and over again, as long as it stays clean.
I calculated that each 4 liter jug gets 6ml of starsan, so as needed I just make up one jug at a time.
I keep 6 or 7 jugs full at any given time.

upload_2021-2-1_11-1-31.png

I also keep and reuse PBW mixture for cleaning, I keep that in 20 liter jugs. I found some that are intended for kerosene, I like them because they are blue. I have two of these jugs. The reason for so much of the PBW cleaning solution is that I like to fill my Brewzilla, heat it up to 80C, and circulate for a half hour or so.
upload_2021-2-1_11-5-24.png

.... we're all humanary stew.....
???

We don't pledge allegiance to...
The Black Widow
I wondered if someone would pick up on that Alice Cooper reference.
Good job @AHarper

i though that you add to sterilize the water just in case it would impact the taste
Starting with unsterilized water is OK. After you get the (grain, extract, wherever) into that water and that part is done, you then boil the resulting 'wort' for a time. In many recipes, hops are added during the boil.

Back